.22 ammo interchangeability?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Vincine, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Vincine

Vincine New Member

It occurred to me that, like the .38 special/357 magnum, one should be able to fire ANY 22 rimfire round out of a revolver; shorts, long, long rifle, magnums. Whatever was available. So I went searching but all I found was revolvers with .22lr & .22 magnum interchangeability. How come not the other favors of .22?

NEVER MIND I got my answer.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired

Because we have an untold numbers of new people, would you share your answer?

3. Vincine

Vincine New Member

A .22 long rifle revolver WILL take shorts, longs, and long rifles. You can get a different cylinder to take .22 magnums on those revolvers designed for the two cylinders.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Yup, magnums are fatter too, right?

5. akms47nagont

akms47nagont New Member

My Marlin xt22 TR bolt action rifle fire shorts longs and long rifles

6. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

My Savage 6A rifle also shoots short , long & lr too , but will only semi auto cycle lr.

7. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Yeah, that's the tube feed, right?

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The .22 CB cap, BB cap, short, long, long rifle all had the same case diameter.

However, the .22 magnum has a fatter cartridge case. It will not fit in a .22 LR chamber. A .22 LR fired in a magnum chamber will swell and usually split.

The revolvers that are both LR and magnum come with 2 cylinders. Pull pin, remove cylinder and replace with other cylinder to change.

Many .22 repeaters will handle LR but not shorter ammo- does not feed right. For autoloaders, shorts may not have enough energy to make the weapon cycle. HOWEVER- some guns, such as the Marlin 39A lever action takes them all- as does the Remington 550 semi auto. Remington had a unique design known as a "floating chamber".

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

many bolt actions will shoot most of the rimfire 22's with exception of the 22 Magnum. reminds me i need to get another bolt action 22!:p

10. hardluk1

hardluk1 New Member

Just remember if you shoot shorts or longs be very sure you scrub the chamber before try'n to fire long rifle cartridge. The short rounds crud up a chamber just like a 38sp in a 357.

11. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

in pistols with interchangable cylinders, the magnum (.224) is more accurate than the s-l & lr (.223) for its barrel is .224

12. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

Not true with all guns. I have a taurus 992 that shoots lr better then mags. Im not sure why but the lr group size is about a inch smaller then the mags

13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired

Hint: a manufacturer will normally bore on a compromise of the bullet diameters.

The ending result is that on or the other caliber will be more accurate.

Find what works best with your .22 and stick with it. Or buy a large quantity of the same lot number.

14. akms47nagont

akms47nagont New Member

Ya that's why bought it will function shorts and long rifles

15. Bob Wright

Bob Wright New Member

As a matter of interest, the .22 Magnmum (.22 WMR) will also fire the .22 Winchester Rim Fire (.22 WRF). the old .22 WRF is obsolete, but at times Winchester has made special runs of this cartridge.

The advantage, at the time, was that the .22 WRF was slightly lower powered, and loaded with a flat point lead bullet. Gave avout the same performance as the .22 L.R. Hi-Speed.

Why do this, you ask? The .22 WMR is a larger cartridge, and was a little easier to handle with cold hands than the petite L.R. rounds. Made a good combination for late season squirrel hunting.

Bob Wright

16. Mongo

Mongo New Member

I was told that a Marlin 60 (tube feed semi auto) will feed 22 short, long and LR mixed in any combination. I will have to buy one and find out for myself.

17. mich1377usmc

mich1377usmc New Member

My Savage 6A does but only auto cycle lr

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

not sure about all Marlin model 60's but mine won't feed anything but the 22 long rifles. i tried some 22 shorts i have for another pistol, but it had some problems feeding them. mine is an older one, (made in 1980 or 1981) so that mmay be why.

19. Gatoragn

Gatoragn New Member

My old Winchester 190 autoloader is stamped 22 long or long rifle. Back when 22 longs were fairly common, in the early 80s when I bought the rifle, my 190 cycled them just fine. I have not seen a box of 22 long in eons.

Did see some 22wrf earlier this year, though, and it is good to know its alternative uses.

20. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The .22 Mag. and .22 LR combination guns are sold because their is a market for these firearms. They are not sold as target grade sporting arms. The barrels very from .224 to .222 and in between. The forcing cones are always over sized for the .22LR. :)