1st handgun purchase

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Vapor, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Vapor

Vapor New Member

I am looking to buy my 1st handgun and i was looking for some opinions on 2 guns :

1. Bersa Thunder 9 Pro series (40 cal)

2. Taurus .45 ACP

Why did i choose these 2 manufacturers? (they are cheap) and for my 1st gun i want an inexpensive one. :)

I know absolutely nothing about guns so please be kind!

2. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

I will research both these guns for you and give u my opinion. I like cheap guns also. Ive looked up both these guns online and read some reviews and I do not see much negative information about either one. Personally I would go with the 45 but thats just personal preference. Shop around though sometimes you can find a slightly used gun that has had a couple hundred rounds fired through it for the same price. I bought a used 9mm p6 for 300 dollars and its an awesome handgun for the money I spent on it. If you know what you are looking for in a used handgun you can get a good deal sometimes.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009

3. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

I like the Bersa over the Taurus, in here Bersas are popular as well as Taurus but the .45 double stake mags of some 24/7 Taurus are know for FTF (just the .45 caliber and the 24/7 series, I don't know the 800 series but they evolved from the 24/7 series...), buy a Taurus 9mm or the Bersa 9mm, both are excellent choices, plus, 9mm is cheaper and available.
    Bersa Thunder 9mm 17+1 capacity $339
    Taurus 24/7 9mm 17+1 capacity $363

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Never forget the adage "you get what you pay for" it is as true for guns as everything else. Not bashing either Bersa or Taurus but price should be but one factor in this decision. Neither Bersa or Taurus has great resale value so if it isn't what you hoped - you'll lose a lot to upgrade...

5. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

I recently bought a Taurus 24/7, 4" bbl, 12+1 double stack. This is now my "keep in the truck" pistol. It was a $400 pistol, so if it gets lost it is not such a big deal as it would be if I lost my 1911 SS Gold Cup, or my Browning Hi-Power. I like the idea of having the extra rounds in the magazine.

So far I have been very impressed with this pistol. It shoots very well. No doubt my Gold Cup is a better "quality" pistol, but the Taurus is more than adequate for the task.

6. Jusselin

Jusselin New Member

couldnt have said it better myself....you took the words right out of my mouth

7. Mark F

Mark F New Member

For my motor vehicle gun, I keep a Tokarev 7.62x25 and 5 extra mags handy. The reason is... no big loss if someone absconds with it. This pistol is powerful, very reliable, and cheap! At 10 cents a round... I can shoot all day long and it won't break the bank.

8. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed Mark, nice little semi and shooter, very reliable, powerful rounds and cheap to feed.

I suspect the Russians wanted good penetration due the heavy winter clothes the Germans were wearing and needed multiple hits for a kill.

You used to be able to get a 1911 conversion for the 7.62x25, I have no idea who made them and I have seen just a few around lately.

Jack

9. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

If you are looking for cheap are you looking at brand new or used? The reason being is that J&G in Az is have a great sale on Police trade in Sig P226's good to very good condition $400-$450.
    I have not had any first hand experience with the Bersa Thunder. I have owned a couple of Taurus's and never complained about them.

Before you go with your cheapest handguns, you need to remember "How much is your life worth?". If you shop around you can find all kind of good deals on great weapons sometime for the same price you were going to pay for your Bersa or Taurus. You also have to look at the availablty of ammo. I know that around here there is no 9mm or 45ACP but TONS and TONS of .40S&W.

Have you looked at Ruger? I purchased my wife a Ruger P95 that she loved. It was a bit blocky but a decent handgun for a beginner. We sold it a couple of years ago because she did not use it. I just bought her a Glock 19 for Christmas for $550.

I would look on GunBroker.com or GunsAmerica and see what you can find. Just some food for thought. Hope this helps and good luck.

10. Viking

Viking Member

I have a friend that bought a Bersa Thunder 40, for the performance and quality it has an excellent price. I think he paid about $350 new. Being priced that low for a metal framed pistol it does put a very good weapon into the hands of a person that just can't afford Colt, Beretta, S&W high end stuff. Even though I'd rather have a 1911 I certainly would't pass up getting a Bersa Thunder.

11. Puff

Puff New Member

Your very first handgun.
    Why not a .22? For a ton of reasons.

I have the XD9sc - love it - my secound choice because of hand fit was the Bersa.

Some .40s can have more of a kick than a .45.

The XD comes with a holster, loader, extra mag & mag holder. Not anything you'ld use forever but very nice to have when you come home with your new gun. Items you'll need until you shop around and find just the right holster & mag holder & gun belt.

Been a while since you posted this - hope you had opportunity to fire both - have you picked & purchased one yet?

12. Vapor

Vapor New Member

No i have not purchased yet and am still looking. I hope to buy around February ;)

Thanks for all the help & suggestions!

13. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Puff does have a good point on purchasing a .22LR. You can not go wrong with that. It was the first pistol I learned to shoot.

I was able to hold and check out the Bersa Thunder at the local gun shop. It did not seem like a bad hand gun for the price. It reminded me of the Sig P232. Just a WHOLE lot cheaper.

14. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

The answer should be simple go to a local gunshop and hold each gun and dry fire to test the trigger(ask first). I would suggest posting a max price you would like to spend and ask for suggestions a gun in your range. Also because you mention inexpensive I would suggest a 9mm because ammo will be much cheaper and a good defense round will rival that of most other calibers. Find an indoor gun range/store and go there and rent some guns to see what you like or join a local gun forum if available members will usually be happy to allow you to shoot their guns.

It seems to me your price would be around 400 max so Ill suggest a few. All suggested pistols are 9mm.

1. Arcus 98dac Its a wonderful pistol and very reliable(not well known) 339.99
    Arcus 98DAC 9MM Compact Size. New

2.Stoeger Cougar 8000 ~350 9mm 15+1
    3.bersa thunder 9 17+1 ~350
    4.you can sometimes find glocks for around 400 used I will not be specific here any glock works

15. Fleetman

Fleetman New Member

I've always been fond of my Keltec P-11 and PF9. They work every time and are a good value. Just make sure, as with firearm, to run enough rounds through for reliability and familiarity.

16. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

take a look at the Ruger P series.They come in 9mm,.40 and .45 and are as inexpensive as Taurus,but made in the USA.I personally would go with 9mm since the ammo is darn near 1/2 the price of .45 acp,and as far as I know you can use +P ammo in the 9mm to give you the power of a .45 when using for defense.I just got a P95 9mm and it is great.

Attached Files:

17. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I was looking in to getting the P11 but just can not bring myself to get one. I like the Kahr PM9 but not the price tag. Then I have a Sig P239 but it is almost the same size as my P229 so I end up carrying that instead.

The hard part right now about shooting is finding ammo. ALL the local stores are always sold out and the local gun shop almost doubled the price of there ammo. Wal-Mart always has .40 but I am not to fond of that caliber nor do I want to start purchasing a different ammo and weapon.

Ruger does have some very nice handguns. I really like there new SR9. But I purchased my wife a new Glock 19 for Christmas to replace her Ruger P95 which she never shot (because she liked my Sig P220) so that went out the door. My b-day is coming up so you never know.:rolleyes:

Taurus does make some very nice handguns. Have had a Taurus 92 since the early 90's and have never had a problem it. I also have one of there 6" .357 revolver's which is a great pistol.

18. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

Obligatory Ruger Mk III post. The rundown:

1) Cheap to shoot. 2 bucks for 50 rounds at my local Gander Mtn.
    2) Accurate. I've only been shooting since August, and I get consistent 1.5-inch groups at 10 yards with this thing.
    3) Durable. Barrel and receiver are made from the same piece of steel. I'm told my grandkids will be able to shoot this gun after I'm long gone.
    4) Reliable. I've got about 5000 rounds through it, and it's stovepiped a couple casings of Winchester bulk (crap) ammo. CCI, Remington, and Federal all shoot 100% clean.

The gun itself is a little pricey, $400 for a 5.5-inch bull barrel model, $600 for the 7-inch model I own, but completely worth it, for a plinking gun. It is a .22, though, so if you're going to carry, it's definitely not ideal.

19. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Have you tried the Ruger 22/45? If you like the 1911 you will love this little Ruger. I think it is more accurate the the MKII. Not sure about the MKIII have not shot one but from what I hear I might have to get one.

20. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

I heard unfortunate things about the 22/45. Something about the positions for the safety and mag release? I've never shot one, or even held it, but the unanimous opinion I heard when I was looking at Rugers was to get the Mark III, not the 22/45.