18 year old wanting rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by trevor_atkinson, Dec 31, 2012.

1. trevor_atkinson

trevor_atkinson New Member

hey there just been shooting hand guns all my life but want to by a rifle now!! what do you think is the best for fun, defense, long term, and best value?? i am thinking of AR-15 but any other suggestion and also best place to buy it??? thanks!!!

2. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Right now your not gonna find any decent AR or any other semi-automatic rifle for that matter for a good price.

The proposed assault weapons ban has created a rush on the market and pushed prices sky-high. AR's are the worst,but all other platforms are inflated as well.

3. trevor_atkinson

yes i know that im looking long term here (if ban is not passed and whn prices return to regular)

4. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Oh well then you'll be in good shape if your waiting till after the whole AWB shenanigan. If when the dust settles they weren't able to pass it,I suspect that there will be a bunch of cheap AR's that will flood the market once the non gun people who bought one out if fear realize they'll still be around later,and after their wife pesters them enough to sell that silly gun they purchased to buy her a new bathroom renovation.

But honestly man palmetto state armory was a good place to pick up a great AR for the money. But they will be back ordered all the way through next year I bet,there were plenty of places to get them before this mess but everybody has bought out all the stock that the distributors and manufactures had,and they probably won't start pumping out new ones till next week because most manufactures are closed through the holidays. And even then they are back ordered well into next year I believe.

By the way welcome to the forum! ,consider posting a thread in introductions and telling us about yourself.

5. trevor_atkinson

thanks man love the site!!! and are you sugesting i buy one used and if so where do you go todo that also i am in california which sucks on gun laws so if that factors in at all??

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

my best advice is to sit back and wait paitiently until the frenzy dies down. my belief is, even if they do pass an AWB, it will be at least six months to a year before it will be enacted and enforced.

7. trevor_atkinson

exactly my thoughts and plans thanks man!! but lets hope it doesn't!!!!

8. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Look at pawn shops that's where I get most my guns and I see a lot of ar time to time but you have to be quick if you seen it 40 others have to and they racing for the money to get it

9. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Well if your going to wait to see if they pass the assault weapons ban and it turns out they don't,then yes I would be checking and looking for used ones after the fact.

Alot of people who bought one out of fear will most likely be trying to unload it on the cheap once they find out they won't be banned.

Armslist . com is a great place to find used guns locally,its like craiglist for guns,but don't expect to find a deal on there at the moment. You'll be overpaying by twice or three times what any AR or other semi auto is worth probably.

10. trevor_atkinson

what wood be a good amount to spend??

11. trevor_atkinson

how long would you suggest i wait??

12. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

It's hard to answer that,how bad do you want one? Do you feel like you need to have one in case they pass the AWB? Or would you just like to have one if they don't get banned?

I would at least wait until the market dies down a little if you must buy before they vote on the AWB. That way you may only have to over pay by hundreds instead of thousands hopefully.

Besides how much are AR's regulated in California anyways? Don't they already force you to buy a model without any of the normal AR fun stuff on it anyways?

13. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Idk down there but I normally seen them around 900 to 750 before this awb bs but the price depended's on make and model plus back here I know all the guys there and they give me great deal but also you have to think I spent alot of money there

14. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

Till the prices are back to normal :D lol

15. trevor_atkinson

thanks man for all your help you've been great!!!

16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Might I suggest a different route? Right now, a decent AR style rifle and a few mags will run you $2000- $2500. The herd smelled rain, and is in a stampede.

For HALF that money, find a good .22 rifle. And get a M-N 91/30 or M44. AND an 8mm Mauser- and maybe an SKS. There is a ton of MILSURP ammo out there CHEEEP for the SKS, M-N, and Mauser.

While everyone is is yelling the sky is falling, and trampling their neighbor to get into the gun show, you will be at the range- shooting. And laughing.

17. Ruger22lr

Ruger22lr New Member

Doesn't California law say that AR's have to be loaded with a stripper clip?

18. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

They can only have ten round magazines

19. Trez

Trez New Member

Everybody needs a Garand! :D

20. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

If he is really only restricted to ten round mags, then I very much second this motion!

You'll only be loosing 2 rounds but you'll also have a much bigger and meaner cartridge to work with.

Plus m1 garands are just plain sexy.