128,000 miles

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by JonM, Jul 26, 2014.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

yesterday my truck was idling a bit rough and had difficulty starting. i realized i had never changed the plugs and wires.

this is spark plugs at 128,000 miles of use... i feel ashamed of myself

[​IMG]

2. locutus

locutus New Member

Well, that's whatcha get fer havin' one of them old timey gasoline en-gines!

Aint never had to change plugs or wires in my diesel!:p:p

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

i would rather deal with spark plugs than diesel glowplugs...

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc New Member

Not absolutely horrible looking for that kind of miles on spark plugs. Bet the truck runs better now though.

I've changed oil in cars that I'd, just about swear had as many miles on the oil. That, is inexcusable to me. My vehicles stay on a pretty strict oil change schedule, and tune-up schedule. I'm more flexible on the spark plugs than the oil.

5. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Lifetime Supporting Member

Look just fine simple ash deposit. The platinum tips are in good shape.

Newer vehicles are designed to run 100,000 on a set of plugs. With dynamic engine controls the air fuel inconsistencies, timing drift, and inconsistent spark heat form wearing points that used to cause problems for the plugs no longer exist.

Plus they went to the platinum arc points, which are far less susceptible to spark erosion.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Back in the days of leaded gasoline, at 20,000 miles you would be chipping what looked like mortar off the plug electrodes. Unleaded gas, computer controls, HIGH energy ignition, platinum electrodes, no breaker points-= VERY long life for plugs.

7. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I think Prius is coming out with an F250. Extension cord included.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

they dont have any hard burining nothing but severely eroded contacts from use

i change oil and filter 3-4 range. i take real good care of my truck. its a 2003 silverado x-cab z71. fuel pressure regulator is acting up just waiting for it to cool before replacing it. dont want a hot engine flashpointing leaking fuel.

i shoulda changed the plugs at the 100k mark. the old wires were probably ok but as i was going to have em off might as well change them

back in the 80's i would change plugs every 30k. im dreading doing the plugs on my 89 formula in 15k more miles. the rear plugs are a cast iron btch to get out...pun intended

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  9. partdeux

partdeux New Member

got your money's worth out of those plugs :)

Consider going to Mobile 1 extended and testing your oil samples. I'm going on 10k miles and the oil is still considered in good shape.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

im not going to risk it. there is more than just worn oil. as fuel is burned and engine operates teeny bits of metal and dirt move about i prefer to get rid of that stuff frequently.

changing oil and filter is cheap insurance. my truck runs the same as it did when i bought it new in 2003.

the fuel pressure regulator is the first thing that has broken on it in 11 years. i can fix anything on my vehicles except things that involve pulling the engine or transmission. i just do not have the space to do it nor the tools.

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc New Member

I run synthetic oil in my vehicles and change at 4-5k. My '97 4Runner is still my daily driver. Had to put a new power steering pump in at 187,000 and changed the clutch, pressure plate and TO bearing at 198,000. Put a new muffler and exhaust manifold gasket at 220,000. It continues to impress me after all these years. Part if me wants to trade it in before something really major goes wrong, and just to update to maybe an FJ Cruiser. But part of me likes, hanging on to this well known and comfortable vehicle, that has proven itself for the 14 years we've owned it. It kinda like a comfortable set of blue jeans or boots.

12. partdeux

partdeux New Member

If you're moving teeny bits of metal of metal around, you have much bigger problems... and besides the high quality filter, NOT Fram, is supposed to catch the dirt and other stuff before it gets sent back out to the engine again.

Napa Gold Oil Filters are highly rated. Mobile 1 filters are also pretty good.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

its way cheaper to do a frame up rebuild than it is to buy a new vehicle of similar capability. if i didnt live in wisconsin my 89 formula would be my daily driver.

long as the frame is good repairs are cheaper than new car payments and new car insurance

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

thats why you change it frequently. all engines create debris as parts wear. you cannot destroy matter it goes somewhere. filters become less efficient as oil gets dirtier and makes the pump work harder. dirty oil also clogs the return holes in the block.

one reason i do not fully trust what car companies say is nothing really new has changed with oil despite claims and they ARE in the business of selling new cars and dealerships ARE in the business of repairing them... maybe its tinfoilish but i do not have much trust for any company or similar company that will stop producing trans ams and firebirds yet keep making ugly corvettes...

you can do what ya want but im changing oil 3-4k mark :)

15. partdeux

partdeux New Member

You do remember I'm an OEM engineer and happen to work in powertrain???

This is not your fathers oldsmobile ;)

Here's what I do, and it got one car to 187k when I sold it, another to 134k when I sold it, and several other cars with lesser miles

I use high quality filters, and there's a distinct difference in filters, use Mobile 1 Extended life, run to approximately 7,500 miles, and change the filter. At 10k miles I change the oil and filter. Also testing oil samples now, mostly because I got conned into running custom blended $$$$ oil with it's supposedly better anti wear properties. Giving strong consideration to Rotella oils, as many of my racing friends have gone to it.

I will tell you that OEM's are getting desperate to achieve EPA fuel economy, and required oil is getting "more energy efficient". I worry, without any basis of data, that we are approaching limits of anti wear properties.

16. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

I change oil and filter every 4-5k and spark plugs about every 10-15k no matter what they look like and air filter every time I change the oil.

17. locutus

locutus New Member

Every 3K, my engine gets a new oil filter and 14 quarts of Rotella.

The air filter gets blown out with compressed air, and everything gets lubed.:)

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

i can get regular old car oil for less than half the cost of synthetic... if it was cheaper to run synthetic i would but more frequent changes and cheaper costs is a winner.

i currently upkeep four vehicles none have issues. only reason i no longer have my 1987 model year formula i bought in 1986 is because my brother used it to race traffic lights and got hit by a semi... it had 250,000 miles on it when it was destroyed. it ran perfectly.

i had the dealership last winter (i dont do oil changes below freezing...) ask me why i dont use synthetic. i told the nice lady "why should i pay more than twice the cost of regular oil for something thats getting changed out in about 3000 miles..."

im just not going to risk my motor on something i really do not believe in.

oh and why put the dipstick holder RIGHT in front of the passenger side rear spark plug!!!?????!!!!?????????

19. partdeux

partdeux New Member

Generally those type of decisions are to satisfy other packaging issues, which can even include mfg installing the engine to the body. Sometimes somebody just screws up and doesn't consider placement to the backyard mechanic. Friend of mine at Chrysler told of the bitter arguments they had on making the oil filter vertical instead of horizontal on one of the engines. Finally took a manager that worked on his own cars to settle the dispute.

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

i hate vertical filters.

im no professional mechanic but most things are very simple fixes that i do not see a reason to pay huge mechanic bills for.

why is there no good oil filter wrench????? drives me nuts.

3 years ago i had to rewire the driver rear taillight because gm didnt zip tie the damn wiring up to the bed underside of her avalanche. during the winter a huge ice dingle berry built up on the wire and yanked it out. i shortened the harness a bit and zip tied it. hasnt been an issue since. gm wanted 500$ to fix it claiming it wasnt a warranty issue. they wanted *sigh* to replace the entire harness.

my mom's old chevy truck from the 90's had this nifty hood light on a leash that could stretch on either side to the middle underside of the rear bumper and attached via magnet when not in its holder. very very very handy. gm then discontinued its use... brain dead

do NOT get me started on the bone head move of putting cupholders in the fourth gen firebird/transams!!!