your overall stance on gun control laws - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > your overall stance on gun control laws

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8829 Times on 3821 Posts
Likes Given: 1365

IF you are an adult citizen, then you just met the criteria to own, buy, or carry whatever you can afford.

Can you lose that status- adult citizen? Yep. A person that is mentally incompetent is no longer an adult responsible for their own behavior.

Commit a major crime, you just lost your freedom to move, vote, etc. WHILE INCARCERATED. If I can't trust you with a gun, WHY would I trust you to be walking around? KEEP HIM.

.50 cal rifle- you want to "draw the line" somewhere? WHY?

Should there be penalties for doing illegal things with a gun? Oh, HELL yes! There are penalties for doing illegal things with knives, pointy sticks, jagged rocks and bricks. Should there be penalties for negligence? There already are for common negligence. Don't claim that because some asshat broke into my home and stole my shotgun that I was "negligent" because I had my shotgun in the case, not in a safe.

There are PRESENTLY more than 20,000 State and Federal gun laws in the US. When you get your FFL, you get a copy of "State laws and Regulations"- about an inch thick. Problem is, criminals do not obey laws.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 07-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #22

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
There are PRESENTLY more than 20,000 State and Federal gun laws in the US. When you get your FFL, you get a copy of "State laws and Regulations"- about an inch thick. Problem is, criminals do not obey laws.
And that, as they say, is the show folks.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #23

Liked 2489 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 2396

Wonder what the OP would think about restrictions and bans on 1A.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #24

Liked 2845 Times on 1685 Posts
Likes Given: 1869

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgodd View Post
Violent criminals should be hanged!
well, i'm all for serious penalties for violent offenders, but this isn't the REALITY in our society. violent criminals are parolled all the time.

this being a FACT, do some of you still support a convicted felon walking into a wal-mart and buying guns and ammo legally?

Old 07-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #25

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

BACKGROUND CHECKS TO PURCHASE FIREARMS? To stop criminals from buying firearms I support that step only

BACKGROUND CHECKS ON ALL SALES AT GUN SHOWS? Same as above

BACKGROUND CHECKS/MODERATION OF PRIVATE SALES? Same as above

BACKGROUND CHECKS AT RETAIL STORES? Once again

CITIZENS HAVING THE RIGHT TO "OPEN CARRY?" YES

CITIZENS HAVING THE RIGHT TO CARRY (LOADED FIREARM) CONCEALED W/O A CONCEALED LICENSE? YES

CITIZENS HAVING THE RIGHT TO CARRY WITH A LICENSE (AND TRAINING)? YES

REQUIRING 50% OFF CONCEALED LICENSE COURSES FOR WOMEN AND SENIORS? NO

CITIZENS BEING REQUIRED TO HAVE A BASIC TRAINING TO PURCHASE A FIREARM? THIS SHOULD BE LEARNED IN SCHOOL

RESTRICTIONS ON OWNERSHIP OF FULLY AUTOMATIC WEAPONS? NO

BAN ON OWNERSHIP OF FULLY AUTOMATIC WEAPONS? NO

RESTRICTIONS ON MAGAZINE CAPACITY (ANY RESTRICTIONS)? NO

RESTRICTIONS ON "SO CALLED" ASSAULT WEAPON FEATURES (PISTOL GRIPS, FLASH HINDERS, ETC)? NO

LIMITATIONS OF AMOUNT OF FIREARMS PURCHASED IN A PERIOD? NO

LIMITATIONS ON AMMO PURCHASED IN A PERIOD? NO

REQUIRED RED FLAGS/NOTIFICATIONS TO AUTHORITIES BASED ON HIGH VOLUME SALES OF FIREARMS/AMMO BY INDIVIDUALS? NO

RESTRICTIONS/BANS ON FIREARM OWNERSHIP FOR ANY CRIMINAL CONVICTION? NO

RESTRICTIONS/BANS ON FIREARM OWNERSHIP FOR VIOLENT CRIMINALS ONLY? FELONS...YES

ALLOWING CRIMINALS CONVICTED OF MINOR, NON-VIOLENT CRIMES (DWI, WEED, MINOR THEFT) TO PURCHASE FIREARMS LEGALLY? YES

RESTRICTIONS/BANS ON NON-CITIZENS LEGALLY PURCHASING FIREARMS IN THE US? YES

REQUIRED REGISTRATION OF FIREARMS (LIKE YOUR CAR)? NO

RESTRICTIONS ON CERTAIN TYPES OF AMMO? NO

BANS ON WEAPONS LIKE GRENADE LAUCHERS, FLAME THROWERS, AND EXPLOSIVES? PURCHASE BY SPECIAL PERMIT ONLY

BANS ON HIGHER POWER RIFLES CALIBERS (50BMG ish)? NO

RESTRICTIONS ON AGE TO PURCHASE A FIREARM? NO ONE UNDER 18

RESTRICITONS ON AGE TO USE A FIREARM? NO

REQUIRING EVERY CITIZEN TO OWN A GUN? NO

LAWS LIKE "STAND YOUR GROUND" OR THE "CASTLE DOCTRINE"? YES, YES, LORD YES

LAWS THAT PUNISH NEGLIGENT GUN OWNERS FOR FAILURE TO PRACTICE BASIC GUN SAFETY? ACCOUNTABILITY...YES

HARSHER PENALTIES FOR CRIMINALS CONVICTED OF SELLING ILLEGAL FIREARMS? YES

ABSOLUETLY NO RESTRCTIONS/LAWS/BANS ON ANY SALE OR USE OF ANY TYPE OF FIREARM OR AMMO, AS LONG AS THE USE IS NOT CRIMINAL? NO

Ok you asked for it...well you got it. Granted these are just my opinions and mine alone, if you disagree with anything that is fine we can talk about it like adults. I feel strongly that Uncle Sam needs to get the hell out of my gun safe and stay out.

I think this thread is a great idea and am looking forward to seeing more of the replies. Especially from certain members.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Last edited by levelcross; 07-27-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Windwalker Likes This 
Old 07-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #26

Liked 374 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy

well, i'm all for serious penalties for violent offenders, but this isn't the REALITY in our society. violent criminals are parolled all the time.

this being a FACT, do some of you still support a convicted felon walking into a wal-mart and buying guns and ammo legally?
Why would they do that when they can get a stolen gun of the streets?

NEVER TAKE A SLEEPING PILL AND A LAXATIVE IN THE SAME NIGHT

Last edited by tomgodd; 07-27-2012 at 05:53 PM.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I support unrestricted firearms ownership in the U.S.A.

As far as the violent criminals and illegalos, they shouldn't be walking around free in this country to begin with. Flawed enforcement of the law should NOT be the reason for a new law restricting law-abiding citizens.

Keep the guns, ditch the illegalos. (and the bears)

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 07-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgodd View Post
Why would they do that when they can get a stolen get a stolen gun of the streets?
Tell me about it! I still grit my teeth over passing on a, probably stolen, lil Kahr PM40 i was offered, soooo cheap. I just couldn't stomach it, though; don't want to support theivery, same reason i don't donate to the democraps.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #29

Liked 2845 Times on 1685 Posts
Likes Given: 1869

Quote:
Dillinger;883668]Based on your list I can't see how you possibly support 2A.

You are basically willing to cave on every hot topic issue that has been raised by the media in the last 20 years.

Age restriction to USE a firearm?!?! Really? I was taught to shoot beer cans off a saw horse in the backyard with a BB gun when I was four. Many here have very similar backgrounds. So my father wasn't a responsible parent in your view?
i do suport the 2A. just because i am not of the "all or nothing" line of thought when it comes to gun control, does not mean i am anti-gun in any way.

i am not talking about BB guns. it just so happens that many parents ARE NOT responsible parents, thus the reasons laws like car seats, age limits of alcohol consumption and driving, and many others are enforced without complaint. i feel for some reason, logic goes out the window with some gun owners.

Quote:
Protest open carry? Why?
imo, it is more political than practical. conceled is more effective on almost every level.

Quote:
Restrictions on Automatic Weapon sales, but undecided on an outright ban? That is a contradiction in and of itself. Either you want restrictions and are against a ban, or you want a ban altogether. Not really a gray area there.
fair enough, lets say i'm undecided. i don't see a need for a citizen to have full auto anymore than grenade lauchers myself.

Quote:
There are already laws on the books to ban ownership by felons, but yet felons keep getting guns and using them illegally. How about we make the government actually enforce some of those laws on the CRIMINALS before they start trying to legislate what I, and the other fine members of this forum & country, do or own?
i agree. but apparently some gun owners even here, don't think there should be laws keeping guns out of the hands of convicted criminals.

Quote:
I'm sorry but the whole idea behind the Second Amendment was that the citizenry should have the ability and Inalienable Right to own weaponry that is equivalent to that which is held by the government to insure that the government does not make subjects of us all.
ok, this just doesn't work. if you beleive this, then you support the average citizen being about to buy a stealth bomber or tank.

Quote:
Restricting sales of any hardware to civilians is walking all over that intent and is not what the founding fathers had in mind for a new land where everyone would be free to pursue their own way of life.
almost everything is america is restrricted in some way. restriction is not always a ban tho keep or bear imo. though it can be.

Quote:
Which brings me back to my problem with restricting sales of any weapons in the first place.
  • It's not like laws in the US are going to restrict the black market for the 900 gazillion weapons that have been produced in foreign countries.
  • Suddenly another law isn't going to make 700-800 million AK variants vanish into thin air.
  • A new US law isn't going to make FAL's produced in the millions to just fall into a void and never be used again.
  • Another restriction on US gun owners isn't going to magically return the hundreds of thousands of weapons that have been battlefield recovered all over the globe, back into the hands of the US Military.
I mean really. Everything that is illegal, has a black market. How much did we spend on the Prohibition? How much on the War on Drugs? It's not like you couldn't get booze during Prohibition. It's not like you can't get drugs of every kind and make.
so, why ban or restrict anything, in your opinion? lets give 5 year olds the right to drive down to the local quickie mart and buy themselves some cigs and beer. after all, we're ALL perfect parents, and there is no need to restrict parents choices. why are guns less of a concern than beer, cigarettes or driver's licenseses?

just because people break the law and get illegal things, doesn't mean we "give up on everything" imo. i don't want to live in the society that basicaly says "well, people are going to do it anyway...so no laws."

Quote:
Restricting an honest and law abiding citizen from the purchase of a weapon make no sense until you can GUARANTEE that criminals won't have access to the exact same piece of hardware. Period.
i think where we disagree is "restricting" vs "banning." and i ceratinly hope you are in favor of the legalization of all drugs with this attitude as well.

personally, most of the restrictions i support in gun control is about keeping criminals from buying guns through our legal system OR the black market.

thanks for your views on the matter.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #30
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5630 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
honestly? so, a man convicted of murder and rape, out on parole....should be able to walk in any gun store and purchase any firearm he pleases?

that is ZERO gun control, no? we'll have to agree to disagree completely.
Thats the way it used to be for nearly two centuries. Worked just fine. Any honest history book tells all about it. Back when our nation was run in a just and lawful manner in accordance with the constitution murdering rapists didnt go free on "parole".

They were hung in public.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Closed Thread