Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > your overall stance on gun control laws

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2358 Times on 1376 Posts
Likes Given: 1500

Default your overall stance on gun control laws

first, i want this to be a respectful discussion among all posters. if i feel people begin to disrespect each other or the discussion gets out of control, i'm openly telling you i will request the mods to close it. i think everyone can handle it though.

second, i am a gun owner and believe in 2nd amendment rights as applied to the individual.

i just wanted to get a feeling for the amount of gun control gun owners are comfortable with. in some cases, i feel gun owners can get a bit paranoid and irrational about gun laws that are in place to protect the general public. in other words, some feel ANY gun law will eventually result in ALL gun rights lost in their minds.

like many of you, i feel like i have pretty good handle on what gun laws should be acceptable, and which infringe on our second amendment rights. but many of you may not agree with my opinions.

of the following gun control ideas, which would you support and which would you protest? just a simple "SUPPORT" and "PROTEST" will be fine. if you are a "maybe" or somewhere in between, feel free to explain. also, feel free to write a brief explanation of your beliefs on any answer.

feel free to explain and discuss the choices. but everyone has a right to an opinion. use the words "agree to disagree" when it is needed please. PLEASE maintain respect, ladies and gentlemen. ALSO, i am sure i missed a few laws/controversies. if you want to ask your own question separately, feel free.

do you support or protest:

BACKGROUND CHECKS TO PURCHASE FIREARMS?

BACKGROUND CHECKS ON ALL SALES AT GUN SHOWS?

BACKGROUND CHECKS/MODERATION OF PRIVATE SALES?

BACKGROUND CHECKS AT RETAIL STORES?

CITIZENS HAVING THE RIGHT TO "OPEN CARRY?"

CITIZENS HAVING THE RIGHT TO CARRY (LOADED FIREARM) CONCEALED W/O A CONCEALED LICENSE?

CITIZENS HAVING THE RIGHT TO CARRY WITH A LICENSE (AND TRAINING)?

REQUIRING 50% OFF CONCEALED LICENSE COURSES FOR WOMEN AND SENIORS?

CITIZENS BEING REQUIRED TO HAVE A BASIC TRAINING TO PURCHASE A FIREARM?

RESTRICTIONS ON OWNERSHIP OF FULLY AUTOMATIC WEAPONS?

BAN ON OWNERSHIP OF FULLY AUTOMATIC WEAPONS?

RESTRICTIONS ON MAGAZINE CAPACITY (ANY RESTRICTIONS)?

RESTRICTIONS ON "SO CALLED" ASSAULT WEAPON FEATURES (PISTOL GRIPS, FLASH HINDERS, ETC)?

LIMITATIONS OF AMOUNT OF FIREARMS PURCHASED IN A PERIOD?

LIMITATIONS ON AMMO PURCHASED IN A PERIOD?

REQUIRED RED FLAGS/NOTIFICATIONS TO AUTHORITIES BASED ON HIGH VOLUME SALES OF FIREARMS/AMMO BY INDIVIDUALS?

RESTRICTIONS/BANS ON FIREARM OWNERSHIP FOR ANY CRIMINAL CONVICTION?

RESTRICTIONS/BANS ON FIREARM OWNERSHIP FOR VIOLENT CRIMINALS ONLY?

ALLOWING CRIMINALS CONVICTED OF MINOR, NON-VIOLENT CRIMES (DWI, WEED, MINOR THEFT) TO PURCHASE FIREARMS LEGALLY?

RESTRICTIONS/BANS ON NON-CITIZENS LEGALLY PURCHASING FIREARMS IN THE US?

REQUIRED REGISTRATION OF FIREARMS (LIKE YOUR CAR)?

RESTRICTIONS ON CERTAIN TYPES OF AMMO?

BANS ON WEAPONS LIKE GRENADE LAUCHERS, FLAME THROWERS, AND EXPLOSIVES?

BANS ON HIGHER POWER RIFLES CALIBERS (50BMG ish)?

RESTRICTIONS ON AGE TO PURCHASE A FIREARM?

RESTRICITONS ON AGE TO USE A FIREARM?

REQUIRING EVERY CITIZEN TO OWN A GUN?

LAWS LIKE "STAND YOUR GROUND" OR THE "CASTLE DOCTRINE"?

LAWS THAT PUNISH NEGLIGENT GUN OWNERS FOR FAILURE TO PRACTICE BASIC GUN SAFETY?

HARSHER PENALTIES FOR CRIMINALS CONVICTED OF SELLING ILLEGAL FIREARMS?

ABSOLUETLY NO RESTRCTIONS/LAWS/BANS ON ANY SALE OR USE OF ANY TYPE OF FIREARM OR AMMO, AS LONG AS THE USE IS NOT CRIMINAL?

thanks, and looking forward to the input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5272 Times on 2748 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Zero gun control.

I think that sums it up.

We should be able to walk into any gunstore buy a machine gun and walk right out without filling out any paperwork.

It worked just fine for nearly the first 200 years of our nation. I firmly believe all the problems we face today are solely the cause of government over regulation.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-27-2012 at 03:30 PM.
People Like This 
Old 07-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Personally I training should be required and anything on the market should be available to anyone who can afford it and qualify to use it.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #4

Liked 2440 Times on 1389 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

IMO, people should be legally liable

to properly aim, and point their firearms in a safe

manner, when loaded, or shooting.

Gun safety should be learned from

the parents, at an early age.

(Training helps)

Criminals wouldn't do what they do now,

if we treated them like the scum they are...

Old 07-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #5

Liked 370 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 48

If you are a legal tax paying citizen of the USA. You should have the right to exercise your rights given through the Bill if Rights.

NEVER TAKE A SLEEPING PILL AND A LAXATIVE IN THE SAME NIGHT

People Like This 
Old 07-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #6

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Personally I training should be required and anything on the market should be available to anyone who can afford it and qualify to use it.
Who qualifies you took the training. I have a buddy that for $30 would fill out paperwork and give me a certificate stating that I took a class even if I didn't.

Do I get a pass because I shot M-249, M-240, Mk-19, M-2, M-9, M-16, AT-4, and a few others in the Military?

I support the 2nd amendment.

Quote:
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
What part of that is hard to understand?

in·fringe [in-frinj] Show IPA verb, in·fringed, in·fring·ing.
verb (used with object)
to commit a breach or infraction of; violate or transgress: to infringe a copyright; to infringe a rule.

verb (used without object)
to encroach or trespass (usually followed by on or upon ): Don't infringe on his privacy.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #7

Liked 2358 Times on 1376 Posts
Likes Given: 1500

do you support or protest: here are mine

BACKGROUND CHECKS TO PURCHASE FIREARMS? support

BACKGROUND CHECKS ON ALL SALES AT GUN SHOWS? support

BACKGROUND CHECKS/MODERATION OF PRIVATE SALES? SUPPORT, but i could see where this could become "mission impossible."

BACKGROUND CHECKS AT RETAIL STORES? support

CITIZENS HAVING THE RIGHT TO "OPEN CARRY?" protest

CITIZENS HAVING THE RIGHT TO CARRY (LOADED FIREARM) CONCEALED W/O A CONCEALED LICENSE? undecided on the fence about this one.

CITIZENS HAVING THE RIGHT TO CARRY WITH A LICENSE (AND TRAINING)? support!

REQUIRING 50% OFF CONCEALED LICENSE COURSES FOR WOMEN AND SENIORS? support

CITIZENS BEING REQUIRED TO HAVE A BASIC TRAINING TO PURCHASE A FIREARM? support many will disagree, but do you think letting a teen driver loose with a vehicle w/o training is smart? some people who purchase firearms don't have a CLUE how to use them.

RESTRICTIONS ON OWNERSHIP OF FULLY AUTOMATIC WEAPONS? support

BAN ON OWNERSHIP OF FULLY AUTOMATIC WEAPONS? undecided

RESTRICTIONS ON MAGAZINE CAPACITY (ANY RESTRICTIONS)? support
i know i'll get it for this, but you have to draw the line somewhere imo. i say 30 round mags.

RESTRICTIONS ON "SO CALLED" ASSAULT WEAPON FEATURES (PISTOL GRIPS, FLASH HINDERS, ETC)? protest

LIMITATIONS OF AMOUNT OF FIREARMS PURCHASED IN A PERIOD? undecided but if i would agree to this, it would have to be more than 10.

LIMITATIONS ON AMMO PURCHASED IN A PERIOD? protest

REQUIRED RED FLAGS/NOTIFICATIONS TO AUTHORITIES BASED ON HIGH VOLUME SALES OF FIREARMS/AMMO BY INDIVIDUALS? support

RESTRICTIONS/BANS ON FIREARM OWNERSHIP FOR ANY CRIMINAL CONVICTION? undecided

RESTRICTIONS/BANS ON FIREARM OWNERSHIP FOR VIOLENT CRIMINALS ONLY? support

ALLOWING CRIMINALS CONVICTED OF MINOR, NON-VIOLENT CRIMES (DWI, WEED, MINOR THEFT) TO PURCHASE FIREARMS LEGALLY? maybe i think it depends on the crime and pattern

RESTRICTIONS/BANS ON NON-CITIZENS LEGALLY PURCHASING FIREARMS IN THE US? support sorry, may not be pc, but i think you have to be a citizen to buy in US.

REQUIRED REGISTRATION OF FIREARMS (LIKE YOUR CAR)? protest but i think gun owners should register and log their own firearms, for their safety

RESTRICTIONS ON CERTAIN TYPES OF AMMO? protest, i think

BANS ON WEAPONS LIKE GRENADE LAUCHERS, FLAME THROWERS, AND EXPLOSIVES? support

BANS ON HIGHER POWER RIFLES CALIBERS (50BMG ish)? maybe i think you have to draw the line somewhere

RESTRICTIONS ON AGE TO PURCHASE A FIREARM? support

RESTRICITONS ON AGE TO USE A FIREARM? support maybe like 7-8 with an adult imo.

REQUIRING EVERY CITIZEN TO OWN A GUN? protest

LAWS LIKE "STAND YOUR GROUND" OR THE "CASTLE DOCTRINE"? support but must have a anti "tough guy" condition, to discourage the "dirty harry" types form vigilante justice.

LAWS THAT PUNISH NEGLIGENT GUN OWNERS FOR FAILURE TO PRACTICE BASIC GUN SAFETY? support

HARSHER PENALTIES FOR CRIMINALS CONVICTED OF SELLING ILLEGAL FIREARMS? support

ABSOLUETLY NO RESTRCTIONS/LAWS/BANS ON ANY SALE OR USE OF ANY TYPE OF FIREARM OR AMMO, AS LONG AS THE USE IS NOT CRIMINAL? protest

Old 07-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #8

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgodd View Post
If you are a legal tax paying citizen of the USA. You should have the right to exercise your rights given through the Bill if Rights.
Rights are not GIVEN.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Default Gun Control

Myself, I have not figured out what it is or how it is supposed to help people with the right to bear arms against all evils foreign or domestic. To stand up for up against forces that would take everything you own or believe in. To speak against the forces that would try to control your right to hunt to target shoot or practice with other people who want to be prepared for not if SHTF but when it does hit the fan.

Today we need people who will stand up for right no matter what the cost or expense. Today we need people who will act in place of those who do nothing. Today we need people who are not afraid to defend out rights and free men. Today we need a group who will do whatever it takes to stand against the corrupt and evil. In the past they were called PATRIOTS!!

I think I will just continue to be a rebel against those who oppose us who are gun owners and hopefully find other who will do it with me.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #10

Liked 370 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07

Rights are not GIVEN.
I agree fully. Just a general statement.

NEVER TAKE A SLEEPING PILL AND A LAXATIVE IN THE SAME NIGHT

Closed Thread