Your HONEST Beliefs of Morality - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Your HONEST Beliefs of Morality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by parinoid54 View Post
In my almost 60 years on this earth, a child raised in Texas, and an Army combat veteran, I have always tried to live as a law fearing person; trying to submit to the written word and spirit of law.

BUT...no matter anything, I live (and will die) by a belief that I will not forego, that -

I WILL BE JUDGED BY 12, BEFORE BEING CARRIED BY 6.

What are YOUR beliefs? I ask for your true, heart felt beliefs and pray that I am not one of a small minority. I have interveined between a "man" who was abusing a woman, be it verbally or phyiscally, often to my being beaten down, but with no regrets. I have no hesitation "getting involved" in an apparent violent situation for the benefit of the weak. Decades ago, while camping in a state park and late at night, a woman began screeming. I got up, dressed, and armed myself while my wife yelled at me not to go; to stay in our tent; to ignore her screams. I couldn't. By the time I ran down the trail, it was over with other men having interceded. There was no peace in my home for days.

I guess this is a morality question. If you carry a firearm for defense, are you willing to use it in defense of others, of complete strangers, or only yourself?
Mine is clear & simple: "What goes around, comes around"

In defense of others in need, without question, doubt, or hesitation.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #12

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Maybe there's a good reason that at the onset

of every revolution they immediately line up

all the lawyers against a wall and shoot them...

Old 02-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
There are many liability issues in intervening, even WITHOUT a gun.

The first being we're NOT trained or insured LEOs.

Even if you do everything right, LE could land on you like a ton of

bricks. IF you do ANYTHING wrong, you'll certainly wish you did nothing.

Don't do it for gratitude or recognition, they're just archaic words in a dictionary these days. If you do it for self-satisfaction, hopefully you'll get it.

MY MANTRA:

I'M NOT the Police, FBI,CIA, a PI, Captain America, The A-Team, Deputy

Dawg, or even Danger Mouse! I'M NOT the...
I'll take liability issues over a conscience reminding me I did nothing when I should have. There are two types of sins: sins of commission, where I knowingly do something wrong; and sins of ommission, where I fail to do what I know is right.

If you are truly a man with something hanging between your legs you will help the helpless. Two men wrestling on the street, they're both men, let them be. A man vs. a woman, if the man doesn't a have a badge showing he's going to be forced to show it.

I remember a big news story not too long ago where a girl was raped in alley between two apartment complexes. The girl went to the police station to report what happened, the police then came to the apartment building to interview and see if there were any witnesses, they figured there wasn't a good chance because nobody called to report the crime. 38 people said they saw the rape either before it actually happened or while it was taking place. Not one phone call was made to the police, they assumed someone else would call; not one person intervened, too scared. We need less Americans like the people of these two apartment complexes and more who are willing to fill in for the police, until they arrive; whether they get in trouble or not. And I don't think people who step in are doing it for gratitude or recognition, they're doing it because they have a sense of justice and a moral compass that isn't corrupted.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:43 AM   #14

I do not believe I'm the record, observe and wait on the police type of guy if presented with a situation when someone's life is in imminent danger....never been presented with that situation to date, thank God. My conscience would get the better of me for doing nothing. You take chances in life and if it bites you in the rear you might be dead or injured but at least you had the cajones to do right. There are too many scenarios for a one size fits all attempt to render aid....assailant armed with a knife, unarmed, armed with a firearm, unknown and on and on. Here is what I would do in this example: Guy with knife beating bleeding woman with the possiblity of inflicting more stab wounds. I would do what was necessary to halt the aggression. Honestly, I would probably shoot the S.O.B. in the leg or foot if it didn't stop after a close warning shot. That would get his attention and diffuse the situation long enough for the boys in blue to arrive. If I didn't have a gun I think I would grab the nearest handy thing and engage in combat, axe handle, tire iron etc....If he pulls out a gun, well, my bad. As far as the legal implications, you have the moral high ground as you have probably just shot/injured a felon with a lengthly rap sheet.

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Old 02-24-2011, 01:00 AM   #15

Liked 1842 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

A couple of days ago a 9 year old boy was being sexually assaulted by a homeless man at a park. Then the man tried to kidnap the boy. Three people interivened. Two women and a man with a golf club. The homeless man was arrested. This happened one block from my house! He is lucky I was not one of the people present!

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #16

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggy5 View Post
I'll take liability issues over a conscience reminding me I did nothing when I should have. There are two types of sins: sins of commission, where I knowingly do something wrong; and sins of ommission, where I fail to do what I know is right.

If you are truly a man with something hanging between your legs you will help the helpless. Two men wrestling on the street, they're both men, let them be. A man vs. a woman, if the man doesn't a have a badge showing he's going to be forced to show it.

I remember a big news story not too long ago where a girl was raped in alley between two apartment complexes. The girl went to the police station to report what happened, the police then came to the apartment building to interview and see if there were any witnesses, they figured there wasn't a good chance because nobody called to report the crime. 38 people said they saw the rape either before it actually happened or while it was taking place. Not one phone call was made to the police, they assumed someone else would call; not one person intervened, too scared. We need less Americans like the people of these two apartment complexes and more who are willing to fill in for the police, until they arrive; whether they get in trouble or not. And I don't think people who step in are doing it for gratitude or recognition, they're doing it because they have a sense of justice and a moral compass that isn't corrupted.
Yes, well hopefully when the wrong thing happens, we'll all do what's right.

Then be treated by LE accordingly.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:18 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

therewolf, did you have a bad experience with a cop? You act like they are out there to condemn citizens looking out for eachother. Most would pat you on the back in the situations described on this forum.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #18

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
Mine is clear & simple: "What goes around, comes around"

In defense of others in need, without question, doubt, or hesitation.
It doesn't get any clearer than this. If you have the ability and means, I think you should. Period.

Not everyone is equipped for such a situation. I know people that own and carry handguns whom I would prefer get to the furtherest known point in space from a situation where a weapon was NEEDED. That doesn't mean I am against their right to carry, they just aren't suited to handle a situation that doesn't directly affect them.

This may be you, and if you can recognize that, you are a much better person than most. The "risk" of doing "something" and having it go terribly wrong, could tragically outway what you truly know to be your skillset and ability.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!

Get on the phone and make a call instead.

Personally I know that I could not sit by and let an act of violence happen if it is clearly an ambush or one sided confrontation.

As stated, two semi drunks in a bar having a shoving match? Let them be, that is not my concern unless they are near my table or my woman is near the fray.

I drive home and see a cop wrestling with some guy on my neighbor's front yard? Someone is getting tackled regardless of the situation.

If I am in the mall, against my will in the first place, and you want to run up in there like Al Pacino at the end of Scarface while I am trying to enjoy my delicious food court experience? Hell yes I am going to get involved, who the hell you think you are?!? Interrupting a man's chinese food like that?!?!

The situation should dictate the response, but there should be a response.

You either get involved, or you get someone who is capable of handling it involved with the use of that nifty smartphone you got. But to turn your back and pretend it didn't happen, or think that someone else will phone it in, makes you lower than whale sh!t in my eyes.

JD

Old 02-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #19

Liked 2524 Times on 1135 Posts
Likes Given: 2423

"Not everyone is equipped for such a situation. I know people that own and carry handguns whom I would prefer get to the furtherest known point in space from a situation where a weapon was NEEDED. That doesn't mean I am against their right to carry, they just aren't suited to handle a situation that doesn't directly affect them."

Well said remember what Dirty Harry said "A mans got to know is limitations"

Old 02-25-2011, 02:04 AM   #20

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
If I am in the mall, against my will in the first place, and you want to run up in there like Al Pacino at the end of Scarface while I am trying to enjoy my delicious food court experience? Hell yes I am going to get involved, who the hell you think you are?!? Interrupting a man's chinese food like that?!?!

with "great" food like that, you never know, they might've just saved your life!

but seriously, i have heard of instances where a "hero" tries to help a distressed woman from her: husband, boyfriend, friend-boy, whatever, and after he receives his beatdown (or start of a beatdown), the "fair maiden" either: tries to combat, beats on, stabs, shoots, or injures the "hero" because he was assaulting her "lover/friend." it's all about knowing HOW TO HANDLE AND CONTROL THE SITUATION, and keeping everyone, including yourself, SAFE!

i know it is the chivalrous thing to do, HELL IT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO, but chivalry won't protect you from an escalated situation that you aren't trained or prepared for..........it can get you, the protector, AND them, the protected.....DEAD!

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE AND BE CAUTIOUS AS YOU ACT!

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 02-25-2011 at 02:08 AM.