Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Your HONEST Beliefs of Morality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Your HONEST Beliefs of Morality

In my almost 60 years on this earth, a child raised in Texas, and an Army combat veteran, I have always tried to live as a law fearing person; trying to submit to the written word and spirit of law.

BUT...no matter anything, I live (and will die) by a belief that I will not forego, that -

I WILL BE JUDGED BY 12, BEFORE BEING CARRIED BY 6.

What are YOUR beliefs? I ask for your true, heart felt beliefs and pray that I am not one of a small minority. I have interveined between a "man" who was abusing a woman, be it verbally or phyiscally, often to my being beaten down, but with no regrets. I have no hesitation "getting involved" in an apparent violent situation for the benefit of the weak. Decades ago, while camping in a state park and late at night, a woman began screeming. I got up, dressed, and armed myself while my wife yelled at me not to go; to stay in our tent; to ignore her screams. I couldn't. By the time I ran down the trail, it was over with other men having interceded. There was no peace in my home for days.

I guess this is a morality question. If you carry a firearm for defense, are you willing to use it in defense of others, of complete strangers, or only yourself?

Last edited by parinoid54; 02-13-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2011, 12:09 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Way to many folks believe a permit to carry turns them into some form of LE or public avenger. Sorry but unless the situation is ABSOLUTELY clear and has NO margin for error - my gun stays holstered except for threats to me or my family. The classic scenario that is posted all the time, you walk up on this situation:

A scruffy poorly dressed fella is fighting with a well dressed fella. The scruffy guy produces a gun and they are wrestling for control. Do you intervene? Who is the good guy in this situation? Is the scruffy guy a vice cop trying to bring down a well dressed perp?

Things are not always what they appear to be...

Old 02-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by parinoid54 View Post
I guess this is a morality question. If you carry a firearm for defense, are you willing to use it in defense of others, of complete strangers, or only yourself?
As stated by NGIB, "Things may not always be what they appear to be..."

Solely depends on the type of situation and the variables of options I may have present at that particular time, I may not need to use my firearm. But anyone will have my complete, undivided attention, especially if it involves an obvious physical or lethal threat, because there is a possibility that their problem may inadvertently, become my problem as well.

Morality has a very fine line to some, that is often crossed, especially when it comes to one's personal choice of what is right, what is wrong, and what one may consider immoral.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-14-2011, 03:52 AM   #4

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

lawyers (and liberal judges) have put TRUE MORALS ON THE LOWEST RUNG OF THE LADDER in today's society..........laws that are so open to interpretation that some high dollar suit that studies Webster's Dictionary for new meanings for word definitions IS THE ONLY "WINNER."

IT'S A PERVERSE TRAVESTY AND A MOCHARY OF THE LEGAL SYSTEM.

i am only 35, but many of us down here were raised with the morals that you speak of; but unfortunately, as previously mentioned, w/o knowing the details of the situation @ hand, ONE PUTS HIMSELF/HERSELF IN HARMS WAY MANY TIMES OVER BY USING MORAL JUDGEMENT ALONE IN THESE TIMES.

BE CAREFUL, AND KNOW THY NEIGHBOR!

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 02-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #5

Liked 80 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 25

First and foremost, my firearm is to protect me and/or my family in any givin situation where death or great bodily injury is a possibility. For anyone other than current or former LEO, to interject in any other situation where deadly force my be needed is not wise. You are not trained or experienced in interpreting any givin situation and interfearing just may get you or someone else severely injuried or killed. Your actions, based soley on morality and lack of experience or training, will more than likely land you in jail or more. I am retired LEO and as such, there are only a few situations that I know of that I would get personally involved. All else would be to call police and observe and record all info that I can to pass on. I will protect life when and if necessary, but will not use my firearm to protect property. Remember, if you present a firearm, you better be ready to use it and only in the proper situation. Use of a firearm is using deadly force.

Jim...............

Old 02-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #6

Likes Given: 23

I've intervened in domestic abuse situations, and no regrets, other than the dental work that resulted. I would do so again if the situation arose. My hunch is that if I were confronted by a woman screaming, or anyone for that matter, my first inclination would be to move toward the problem to see what I could do to assist or rectify it. With a military background and as a medic, that is sort of ingrained.

However, use of a firearm becomes an entirely different matter. As others have pointed out, deadly force can become very problematic very quickly. IGETEVEN perhaps said it best, that the different variables may very well dictate the options at hand, but I will be focused, because whatever the situation, it could become my problem quickly, regardless of my actions or intent.

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy,
I'm not surprised that you agree.

"Courage is being scared to death… and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Impossible to predict because the situation is yet to present itself.

I don't think anyone here on this forum would sit by why a police officer was beat down by a group of people.

I don't think any of these guys would just grab their copy of the newspaper and their cup of joe and walk out of the Starbucks that is getting robbed at gun point by some idiot waving a pistol around in people's faces.

If you were out walking the dog and a woman came running out of the woods with her clothes torn and screaming bloody murder trying to get away from something I kind of doubt the folks here would just snug their hood on a little tighter and change direction.

If you have a pistol that you carry, you have taken on a responsibility with it. That doesn't give you super powers and it doesn't give you Monday Morning Quarterback foresight, but it does give you a responsibility that needs to be taken seriously.

If you choose to sit by and watch something unfold that you could have stopped, would you be okay with that memory for the rest of your days? Especially if your inaction led to someone elses' time here coming to an abrupt end??

Personally I couldn't live with myself if I had chosen to do nothing.

JD

Old 02-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #8

If a robery is underway the best thing anyone with a weapon can do is remain calm and try to be the very best witness possible. Only when shots are fired or you are convinced that someone is about to suffer serious injury as a result of another's criminal act are you justified in using deadly force. Taking it to the next level not only endangers you but everyone present and depending on the jurisdiction can potentially make you criminally liable. If you do have to act do so decisively until the threat has been negated and remember these two sentences.

"I didn't have any choice; I thought he was going to kill me. I don't want to say anything else until I've spoken to my lawyer."

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."

- Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp, TX State Rep., GOP, Massacre Survivor

Last edited by Wenonah; 02-14-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:55 AM   #9

Liked 2193 Times on 1259 Posts
Likes Given: 1784

There are many liability issues in intervening, even WITHOUT a gun.

The first being we're NOT trained or insured LEOs.

Even if you do everything right, LE could land on you like a ton of

bricks. IF you do ANYTHING wrong, you'll certainly wish you did nothing.

Don't do it for gratitude or recognition, they're just archaic words in a dictionary these days. If you do it for self-satisfaction, hopefully you'll get it.

MY MANTRA:

I'M NOT the Police, FBI,CIA, a PI, Captain America, The A-Team, Deputy

Dawg, or even Danger Mouse! I'M NOT the...

Old 02-18-2011, 03:13 AM   #10

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

it's just the sad world we live in where everyone wants to sue everyone b/c they helped too much, or they didn't help enough..........you're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't.

it is very sad, and very unjust because "do unto others," and "an eye for an eye," mean absolutely nothing to those that legally bind our hands.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me