Are you with us, or against us? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Are you with us, or against us?

View Poll Results: Are you willing to be involved
Yes! I want to help write & contribute 107 54.04%
Yes! I want to help, but writing isn't my thing 62 31.31%
Yes! But I am busy in R/T - I will e-mail my reps with each request 17 8.59%
No. I would rather just sit around and bitch about it 12 6.06%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

OK guys, I'm going to start with the easy one. I think it is equally important to send letters thanking those Senators/Representatives that voted the right way on this bill, so here's a short note for them. I have a thick skin, so I'm open to any suggestions for improvement. Feel free to send this on, modify it, add your own perspectives, etc.

Still working on the letter for those that voted for the bill, and will post that when I'm done.

Dear (Senator or Representative) (Name):

I am writing to express my thanks for your vote against the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.

Unfortunately, I believe the long term affect of this large increase in deficit spending will be slower economic growth. In the future, as we face the reality of how to pay for this package, it seems inevitable that we will see some combination of tax increases and increased money supply leading to higher inflation. One only need look back to the 1970ís to learn that this is not a recipe for creating an economic climate that fosters business growth.

I would have preferred to see a stimulus package largely based on reducing taxes on American workers and businesses balanced by appropriate cuts in wasteful government spending. The true engine of growth in the American economy is private enterprise, not the federal government. We need to create an economic climate that encourages American businesses to invest in their growth, which in turn will lead to long term job creation.

Thanks again for voting against this bill, and I urge you to continue to work towards policies that will truly stimulate the economy and reduce the size of the federal government.

Best Regards,

(Your Name)

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 02-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
My thoughts just for starters.

1. Dear Elected Official (this should be customized, but start with Dear. i.e. Dear Senator Spector)
2. Waaayyy to centric as to political party affiliation (no reps from the GOP approved it and 3 GOP Senators)
3. Good start, but we need to remind those people that we are registered voters who pay taxes.
4. Gotta watch the run-on sentences
5. We can use much of this, but we should stay away from any 'threat' other than 'no vote for you, next time'

Just my $.02 off the top.
+1 Agreed. Avoid fragmentations as well. Strike the whole third paragraph. It's way too combative as well. This is why I didn't volunteer to write. I don't know how to confront without destroying.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
OK guys, I'm going to start with the easy one. I think it is equally important to send letters thanking those Senators/Representatives that voted the right way on this bill, so here's a short note for them. I have a thick skin, so I'm open to any suggestions for improvement. Feel free to send this on, modify it, add your own perspectives, etc.

Still working on the letter for those that voted for the bill, and will post that when I'm done.

Dear (Senator or Representative) (Name):

I am writing to express my thanks for your vote against the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.

Unfortunately, I believe the long term affect of this large increase in deficit spending will be slower economic growth. In the future, as we face the reality of how to pay for this package, it seems inevitable that we will see some combination of tax increases and increased money supply leading to higher inflation. One only need look back to the 1970ís to learn that this is not a recipe for creating an economic climate that fosters business growth.

I would have preferred to see a stimulus package largely based on reducing taxes on American workers and businesses balanced by appropriate cuts in wasteful government spending. The true engine of growth in the American economy is private enterprise, not the federal government. We need to create an economic climate that encourages American businesses to invest in their growth, which in turn will lead to long term job creation.

Thanks again for voting against this bill, and I urge you to continue to work towards policies that will truly stimulate the economy and reduce the size of the federal government.

Best Regards,

(Your Name)
Excellent letter. Ditch the word "unfortunately" from the second paragraph. Sounds like you are disagreeing with yourself. Good otherwise.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:48 PM   #24

Great.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud in "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

"My dear boy, I love hearing my relations abused. It is the only thing that makes me put up with them at all. Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who havenít got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die."

Old 02-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #25

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
My thoughts just for starters.

1. Dear Elected Official (this should be customized, but start with Dear. i.e. Dear Senator Spector)
2. Waaayyy to centric as to political party affiliation (no reps from the GOP approved it and 3 GOP Senators)
3. Good start, but we need to remind those people that we are registered voters who pay taxes.
4. Gotta watch the run-on sentences
5. We can use much of this, but we should stay away from any 'threat' other than 'no vote for you, next time'

Just my $.02 off the top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
+1 Agreed. Avoid fragmentations as well. Strike the whole third paragraph. It's way too combative as well. This is why I didn't volunteer to write. I don't know how to confront without destroying.
Yeah. Great. Instead of offering anything up, we can tear something apart. How about we RE-WRITE the changes we want to make and we all get some POSITIVE input instead of just ripping someones work apart...

JD

Old 02-14-2009, 09:07 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry. I didn't see Skull's or my comments as negative criticism. Just helpful notes. If this has offended, my sincerest apologies. I just want anything we decide to put our name to look the best it can be.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #27

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Yeah. Great. Instead of offering anything up, we can tear something apart. How about we RE-WRITE the changes we want to make and we all get some POSITIVE input instead of just ripping someones work apart...

JD
It was not my intention to tear someone's work apart, but opinions were solicited. MrKimber has a solid piece of work there, so go with that if you want. I will attempt an additional write to MrKimber's effort without compromising the main primise. I will PM it to you and let you decide and/or combine whatever you want posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #28

Maybe add the H.R. number somewhere.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud in "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

"My dear boy, I love hearing my relations abused. It is the only thing that makes me put up with them at all. Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who havenít got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die."

Old 02-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #29

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
Sorry. I didn't see Skull's or my comments as negative criticism. Just helpful notes. If this has offended, my sincerest apologies. I just want anything we decide to put our name to look the best it can be.
Quote:
It was not my intention to tear someone's work apart, but opinions were solicited. MrKimber has a solid piece of work there, so go with that if you want. I will attempt an additional write to MrKimber's effort without compromising the main primise. I will PM it to you and let you decide and/or combine whatever you want posted.

We don't need 20 different versions running around PM land, we need this out in the open so everyone can contribute. The idea here is for it to be a group effort, reflect the group train of thought and be at least 80% agreeable....

JD

Old 02-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #30

Here is the list of yeas and nays. Grouped by State.

Grouped by Home State
Alabama: Sessions (R-AL), Nay Shelby (R-AL), Nay
Alaska: Begich (D-AK), Yea Murkowski (R-AK), Nay
Arizona: Kyl (R-AZ), Nay McCain (R-AZ), Nay
Arkansas: Lincoln (D-AR), Yea Pryor (D-AR), Yea
California: Boxer (D-CA), Yea Feinstein (D-CA), Yea
Colorado: Bennet (D-CO), Yea Udall (D-CO), Yea
Connecticut: Dodd (D-CT), Yea Lieberman (ID-CT), Yea
Delaware: Carper (D-DE), Yea Kaufman (D-DE), Yea
Florida: Martinez (R-FL), Nay Nelson (D-FL), Yea
Georgia: Chambliss (R-GA), Nay Isakson (R-GA), Nay
Hawaii: Akaka (D-HI), Yea Inouye (D-HI), Yea
Idaho: Crapo (R-ID), Nay Risch (R-ID), Nay
Illinois: Burris (D-IL), Yea Durbin (D-IL), Yea
Indiana: Bayh (D-IN), Yea Lugar (R-IN), Nay
Iowa: Grassley (R-IA), Nay Harkin (D-IA), Yea
Kansas: Brownback (R-KS), Nay Roberts (R-KS), Nay
Kentucky: Bunning (R-KY), Nay McConnell (R-KY), Nay
Louisiana: Landrieu (D-LA), Yea Vitter (R-LA), Nay
Maine: Collins (R-ME), Yea Snowe (R-ME), Yea
Maryland: Cardin (D-MD), Yea Mikulski (D-MD), Yea
Massachusetts: Kennedy (D-MA), Not Voting Kerry (D-MA), Yea
Michigan: Levin (D-MI), Yea Stabenow (D-MI), Yea
Minnesota: Klobuchar (D-MN), Yea
Mississippi: Cochran (R-MS), Nay Wicker (R-MS), Nay
Missouri: Bond (R-MO), Nay McCaskill (D-MO), Yea
Montana: Baucus (D-MT), Yea Tester (D-MT), Yea
Nebraska: Johanns (R-NE), Nay Nelson (D-NE), Yea
Nevada: Ensign (R-NV), Nay Reid (D-NV), Yea
New Hampshire: Gregg (R-NH), Nay Shaheen (D-NH), Yea
New Jersey: Lautenberg (D-NJ), Yea Menendez (D-NJ), Yea
New Mexico: Bingaman (D-NM), Yea Udall (D-NM), Yea
New York: Gillibrand (D-NY), Yea Schumer (D-NY), Yea
North Carolina: Burr (R-NC), Nay Hagan (D-NC), Yea
North Dakota: Conrad (D-ND), Yea Dorgan (D-ND), Yea
Ohio: Brown (D-OH), Yea Voinovich (R-OH), Nay
Oklahoma: Coburn (R-OK), Nay Inhofe (R-OK), Nay
Oregon: Merkley (D-OR), Yea Wyden (D-OR), Yea
Pennsylvania: Casey (D-PA), Yea Specter (R-PA), Yea
Rhode Island: Reed (D-RI), Yea Whitehouse (D-RI), Yea
South Carolina: DeMint (R-SC), Nay Graham (R-SC), Nay
South Dakota: Johnson (D-SD), Yea Thune (R-SD), Nay
Tennessee: Alexander (R-TN), Nay Corker (R-TN), Nay
Texas: Cornyn (R-TX), Nay Hutchison (R-TX), Nay
Utah: Bennett (R-UT), Nay Hatch (R-UT), Nay
Vermont: Leahy (D-VT), Yea Sanders (I-VT), Yea
Virginia: Warner (D-VA), Yea Webb (D-VA), Yea
Washington: Cantwell (D-WA), Yea Murray (D-WA), Yea
West Virginia: Byrd (D-WV), Yea Rockefeller (D-WV), Yea
Wisconsin: Feingold (D-WI), Yea Kohl (D-WI), Yea
Wyoming: Barrasso (R-WY), Nay Enzi (R-WY), Nay

Newest Threads