Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Are you carrying, Mr. Smith? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/you-carrying-mr-smith-25764/)

Last Crow 04-07-2010 05:19 PM

Are you carrying, Mr. Smith?

I saw this today on Maggies Farm.
A friend of mine was recently pulled over for speeding. The constable, ambling over to his driver's side window asked "Are you carrying, Mr. Smith?"
"No, sir. I am not carrying today. But why do you ask?"
"I ran your plates. Have a good day, sir, and watch your speed."
The cops around here know that if you have a carry permit, it means you've been well-vetted by the local PD, the State Troopers, the FBI, and who knows who else - and that you have been found to be a solid citizen.

ZackB 04-08-2010 03:41 AM

Never really thought of it that way before.

For clarification purposes, are these vetting processes something that you endorse, tolerate, etc.? I've always been under the impression that they were something opposed by the pro-gun group. I had a tough time phrasing that, but I think you should get what I'm trying to say. Maybe it's just my "liberal media" talking.

Gojubrian 04-08-2010 05:26 AM

Yeah, they know immediately around here if you have a chl when they run your plate. Usually means no hassles and on your way. :)

Rick1967 04-08-2010 10:51 AM

In Colorado they can tell by running your plate or your Driver license. Funny thing is a lot of cops don't know it. I was paintballing with a bunch of sheriffs deputies and heard them talking about it. About half of them didn't know it.

I know that this is true because a friend was in a bowling alley when there was a fugitive inside. The police were looking for the fugitive and ran all the plates in the parking lot. They told my friend that they knew he had a permit.

NGIB 04-08-2010 10:55 AM

Yup, some states do "tie" your carry permit to your drivers record and some don't. GA is in the don't category...

spittinfire 04-08-2010 11:05 AM

Not sure where you are Crow but here in NC your CCP is tied to your license plate. I personally am not a fan.

robocop10mm 04-08-2010 01:36 PM

In Texas, your CHL is tied to your DL. TX DPS issues each license so it is all in their system. Vehicle registrations are a totally different agency (TX DOT). The two systems do not talk to one another. Supposedly this will change in the near future as there is to be a new agency that handles both Driver's Licenses and vehicle titles/registrations.

dnthmn2004 04-08-2010 01:39 PM

Its like that here in MA also.

spittinfire 04-08-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 266598)
In Texas, your CHL is tied to your DL. TX DPS issues each license so it is all in their system. Vehicle registrations are a totally different agency (TX DOT). The two systems do not talk to one another. Supposedly this will change in the near future as there is to be a new agency that handles both Driver's Licenses and vehicle titles/registrations.

What are your thoughts on this as a LEO? Do you think it's a good thing?