Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > WTF Texas?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 01:29 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1934 Times on 1036 Posts
Likes Given: 2882

Copeland has sold guns at gunshows in TX for years. Copeland often bragged that it was his 2nd Amendment right to sell guns without a license. Copeland told at least one witness that he would shoot it out with BATFE if they tried to arrest him.

It turns out that Copeland has been convicted of a crime in another state and sentenced to two years probation: It appears that Copeland had no legal right to own a gun much less sell guns.

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/ATFReportPaulCopelandCase.pdf

i will cry no tears for Copeland.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:01 AM   #12

Default Ngib/eastex

You guys are spot on.....sounds like the guy was stupid enough to fall for this ploy. When selling a gun assume the government is out to get you via hook or crook. Sounds like a slam dunk on the straw purchase charge. Its a shame the BATFE would enlist the help of illegal immigrants to enforce compliance with the gun laws.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The seller should have known this was a straw purchase. My ex boyfriend told me about this kind of stuff at the first gun show he took me to. He warned me about how these things go down and what the law is. He and his friends would have discussions about it frequently. I believe It's common knowledge that the Feds are there setting up stings and looking for this at these shows. This guy just wanted to make a sale and thought he'd get away with it.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

It's hard, based on the article, to determine exactly how much knowledge the dealer had or did not have about the nature of the transaction. Or whether or not it's reasonable to arrest and charge him. That one is up in the air. But it's absolutely outrageous that the both the illegals involved weren't arrested.