Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   WTF Texas? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/wtf-texas-31659/)

Benning Boy 09-12-2010 08:24 PM

WTF Texas?

I'm starting to wonder, and I was all set to move down there....

FOXNews.com - Gun Dealer Gets Prison for Selling to Illegal Immigrant; Illegal 'Middle Man' Not Charged

Jpyle 09-12-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benning Boy (Post 349429)

That's just FUBAR...

spittinfire 09-12-2010 09:07 PM

That disappoints me coming from anywhere but especially Texas.

TheSadPanda 09-12-2010 09:15 PM

It says the dealer witnessed the illegal immigrant hand the money to the straw purchaser and then sold him the gun. If he is an FFL dealer thats definitely illegal. I strongly believe the straw purchaser should be punished and deported (because he is illegal)

Benning Boy 09-12-2010 09:26 PM

I read somewhere else that he isn't an FFL.

What bugs me is that one has a valid driver's license, despite being an illegal.

That ATF was conveniently there.

Was this a set-up? A jury of his peers let this float?

JonM 09-12-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

thats a federal government thing. it was federal agents and federal judges. it did not have really much to do with texas itself. just remember the current administration is anti-constitution, anti-america, and pro-illegal

alsaqr 09-13-2010 12:44 AM

The guy who sold the gun to the illegal is not a licensed gun dealer. The rules of the gunshow stated that all gun sales at the show had to go through a licensed gun dealer. The perp chose to ignore the rules of the gunshow. Everyone who exhibited at that gunshow knew that the BATFE would be there.

Nearly every gunshow that i go to has several guys with tables who are not licensed gun dealers. i see these same guys show after show. Some of them sell dozens of guns every year. Private collections, my rear. These guys are unlicensed gun dealers.

Eastex_Guns 09-16-2010 01:39 AM

The rules of the gun show make no difference in this case. The law will not arrest you for violating the rule of the show.

Here is what happened....

The seller was not an FFL. Wouldn't make any difference anyway. FFL or not the law applies to both, in this case.

There was a group of people that approached the seller and one of them wanted to purchase the gun. Since he could not produce a valid Texas Driver's License the seller denied the purchase.

Later, the same group approached the seller and again the same person expressed his desire to purchase the gun but still had not acquired a valid Texas Driver's License since he had last seen the seller (about 10-20 minutes earlier.)

Later, the same group approached the seller but this time a different person in the group said he would purchase the gun and so provided a valid Texas Driver's License. The gun found it's way to the original person, so...

The jury convicted the seller for participating in a straw purchase citing that the seller should have had reasonable suspicion that the gun would have been passed to the original person that did not have a valid TDL.

Of course, this all took place in the state's capital, the most liberal city in Texas.

pioneer461 09-16-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

I'm starting to wonder, and I was all set to move down there....

It wouldn't matter, BATF&E is everywhere. From what Eastex_Guns says, perhaps the seller should have known. Every gun show I go to, which is pretty rare these days, I assume BATF&E is there in force, and they are not beneath setting up an illegal sale.

NGIB 09-16-2010 04:08 PM

It's not just at the gun shows either. BATFE has been known to setup stings in cities that border another state. You list your gun on a local GA forum for example and you'll get a response from a buyer just over the state line in SC. This out of state buyer will try to convince you that there really isn't a need to involve an FFL...