Write Letters, here is mine.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Write Letters, here is mine.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
For unto us a child is born..
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
KG7IL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Posts: 2,638
Liked 1897 Times on 1053 Posts
Likes Given: 5713

Default Write Letters, here is mine.

The following is my recent exchange with one of my senators.
My representatives are great. However I have to work with this senator some more.

-----Original Message-----
From: Glenn
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:22 PM
To: Becker, Sen. Randi
Subject: Don't respond with knee jerk gun control.
December 19, 2012

The Honorable Randi Becker
Washington Senate
PO Box 40402
Olympia, WA 98504-0402


Senator Becker:

Millions of law abiding citizens value gun RIGHTS.
We stand at a cross-roads of destroying our Constitution and Bill-of-Rights.

Please do not fall for the lies surrounding so called "Assault Weapons".

I value and use semi-automatic rifles and pistols on my property.

Please be an American and support the 2nd Amendment.
NO infringement. Limiting law abiding citizens will not solve the problem. Semi-Automatics are just modern firearms; they are the most common firearms sold today.


-----Original Message-----
From: Becker, Sen. Randi [mailto:Randi.Becker@leg.wa.gov]
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:54 PM
To: 'glenn'
Subject: RE: Don't respond with knee jerk gun control.

Dear Glenn,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your thoughts on gun control. I too, share your position and support on the 2nd Amendment.

Typically any debate about gun control looks at the balance between safety and constitutional rights. The Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution guarantees the right to bear arms, but doesn't specify exactly what that entails. At least six states (including Connecticut) have full or partial bans on assault weapons, and those have withstood legal challenges on the state level. A federal ban would ultimately end up before the U.S. Supreme Court, and it's not clear such a ban would be found constitutional.

Some feel that prohibiting concealed weapons completely would be an effective way to curb gun violence. There are constitutional questions here too. The District of Columbia had a ban that was found unconstitutional in 2008 (District of Columbia v. Heller). Illinois had a concealed-weapons ban overturned recently; it will likely be reviewed by the U.S. Supreme Court (as reported in this story).

Although history has shown that government cannot legislate behavior, I expect firearm laws will be a major topic of discussion during the 2013 legislative session, which begins January 14. Several lawmakers already have indicated they will pursue new restrictions on firearms. I'll be sure to keep your thoughts in mind if any such measure comes to a vote. At the same time, while we all abhor gun violence and want the world to be a safer place, we have to be realistic about what changes in the law could accomplish.

If you'd like to stay updated about key issues like this one, please reply and let me know. Thanks again for taking the time to contact me, and I hope you will stay in touch.

Senator Randi Becker

_____________________________
From: Glenn
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:47 PM
To: 'Becker, Sen. Randi'
Cc: 'Cruver, Amy'; 'McCune, Rep. Jim'
Subject: RE: Don't respond with knee jerk gun control.


Senator Becker.

I can see from your wording, that you don't seem to be leaning toward protecting my ownership of my semi-automatic, magazine fed firearms, clearly intended by our forefathers under the Bill of Rights. Am I wrong?

Please read the following and represent me and Millions of Law Abiding Citizens. If you can't support and trust us, who could you trust.

You seemed to be unclear on the intent of the second amendment. Please remember that our founders wanted to ensure that citizens had the necessary weapons to keep a government in check. Spending a little time with our founding documents will clear this up. You may not like what our forefathers wrote, but it is SIMPLY THE FACTS of matter.

However, the guns that you may want to ban are simply modern fire-arms of a modern age. Yes they are semi-automatic, and magazine fed. They have kept pace with technology, just as communication and transportation has changed. The modern firearm is prevalent, perhaps the most common sold today, semi-autos are safely in the hands of MILLIONS of Americans. These are common and they are the modern arm of the day. These ARE TODAYS guns.

Again, Our forefathers actually wanted us to have military arms of the day. This is SIMPLY THE FACTS of matter. But, our semi-automatics ARE NOT Military auto's. I still hear politicians lying to the American public. Please do not engage with their lies.

For my target and sporting shooting, a large capacity magazine is no different than a golfer driving a BUCKET of balls.

AR-15's are sporting weapons. LET ME SAY THAT AGAIN, THEY ARE SPORTING WEAPONS.

Many shooting sports involve the large capacity magazines in Formal Shooting events.
3 gun is the fastest growing shooting sport.

The AR-15 is probably most common, currently purchased firearm used for hunting and sport.

Read our founding fathers federalist papers and it will be clear to you that the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed mean that you should no infringe on my right to keep and bear arms. All arms. Although there has been previous successes by anti-American, anti-constitutional politicians, this does not make it right to follow in their treasonous footsteps.

Why would you participate in taking freedoms from law abiding citizens. This is the antithesis of our country. Could you look me in the eye and tell me why you don't trust me, my friends, my family and my neighbors? How is punishing me going to solve the problem of a madman.

Luckily my local representatives have my full support because of their pro-Second Amendment positions. I am proud to call them true Americans, holding dear the principles that made this the greatest country on earth.

If you were to take an honest look at true and honest statistics, you will find that the free right to keep and bear arms is not a statistical problem. Yes tragedies happen; the Connecticut shooting is heartbreaking. But there are many tragedies that part of life, over 3000 lives lost to terrorists using airplanes, but no move to ban airplanes. Over 32,000 motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians died in 2011, but no move to ban automobiles. I could go on.

If politicians were truly HONEST ABOUT SAVING LIVES, those politicians would be banning automobiles and bathtubs. BE HONEST. You may not like modern guns, but they are not the problem MILLIONS of Americans own semi-automatic, magazine firearms without any problems to public safety. Money would be better spent using tax dollars and to give away quality Safes for the safe storage.

My high school first-aid and health class involved a teacher bringing guns, REAL GUNS, to our class room and teaching us about guns and having us all pass a safety test. I still have the booklet.

Tax money would be better spent teaching gun safety and the proper use of guns to our school children.

Public safety is served best by armed citizens. Again THE FACTS bear this out. Over 400 children were killed by guns in Chicago, one of the most restrictive cities. Your heart may be good, but you would be responsible for the un-intended consequences seen in every area and city that restricts fire-arms. The least crime and deaths occur where gun legislation is least. Look at the crime statistics where guns have been over-regulated. The criminals take advantage of under-armed citizens. Schools are a favorite target because of the zero-tolerence gun policies. <- Read this again.

I would gladly volunteer to stand armed at my grandchildren's school, but the very politicians who are elected to serve me, have hampered my God Given Constitutional rights by enacting gun-free zones. AND OUR CHILDREN ARE DYING.

The latest shooter broke these laws;
1. He killed his mother.
2. He stole her guns
3. He was a minor in possession of handguns.
4. He entered a Gun Free School Zone
5. He murdered 26 more people.

Please tell me what law that he would obey?

It is absurd to think that a law restricting my free ownership of firearms would have any, ANY effect. The FACTS do not support this. Look at the crime statistics where guns have been over-regulated. The criminals take advantage of under-armed citizens.

If you feel laws will keep semi-autos off the street, then maybe we should pass laws to keep meth, heroin and cocaine off the streets.

We clearly stand at a cross roads in America's history. Do we continue with the freedoms and rights to which our founding documents attest? Or do we pass the way of another civilization that has fallen to either mediocrity or tyranny.

I am available to help you further understand the law abiding citizen in possession of a semi-automatic, magazine firearm.

I live on a 20 acre property with birds and livestock. The AR-15 is my weapon of choice for pest control. I want NO REGULATION on my $800 dollar firearm.
I do not want taxes, confiscation, regulation. I am the law-abiding citizen.

Senator, I am sure that your heart is good, but punishing us is not the answer. Further regulation of firearms is not the answer.

Respectfully.
Glenn
Eatonville, WA.


Last edited by KG7IL; 12-21-2012 at 02:04 AM.
KG7IL is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 12-21-2012, 02:04 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lbwar15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,016
Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Default

Please explane to him that it dose specify the guns protected by the 2A. Protection against a tyrant gov can only be done by modern fire arms. The only way to defend against them is to have guns of equal or grater quality. Just be thankful we are not fighting for the right to own a tank.

__________________
lbwar15 is offline  
KG7IL Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:30 AM   #3
For unto us a child is born..
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
KG7IL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Posts: 2,638
Liked 1897 Times on 1053 Posts
Likes Given: 5713

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
Please explane to him that it dose specify the guns protected by the 2A. Protection against a tyrant gov can only be done by modern fire arms. The only way to defend against them is to have guns of equal or grater quality. Just be thankful we are not fighting for the right to own a tank.
This was in the letter:

You seemed to be unclear on the intent of the second amendment. Please remember that our founders wanted to ensure that citizens had the necessary weapons to keep a government in check. Spending a little time with our founding documents will clear this up. You may not like what our forefathers wrote, but it is SIMPLY THE FACTS of matter.
.....
Again, Our forefathers actually wanted us to have military arms of the day. This is SIMPLY THE FACTS of matter. But, our semi-automatics ARE NOT Military auto's. I still hear politicians lying to the American public. Please do not engage with their lies.
KG7IL is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:44 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lbwar15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,016
Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Default

And what was the response to this?

__________________
lbwar15 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:49 AM   #5
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

My take...i am trying to criticize constructively..please keep this in mind.

Instead of talking about bath tubs and cars, stick to firearms FACTS! you go off the rails and ramble the moment you use the tired drunken car argument.

Try instead something to the effect:

Sir, we have tried an assault weapons ban experiment for 10 years. The anti-gun zealots all promised it would make our streets safer and crime would go down. After our ten year experiment we have seen, per department of justice statistics, that is just not the case. In FACT violent crime actually went up during those years. When the AWB finally sunset after ten years we saw violent crime drop.

Washington DC was at one time the murder capitol of the U.S. After the SCOTUS ruled D.C.'s draconian gun laws banning personal ownership of firearms unconstitutional, violent crime in the district plummeted.

IL is the only state in the union that does not have a CCW law. Chitcago, IL's largest city, is the undisputed murder capitol of the U.S. at this time.

What is a rational, thinking person to come away thinking after reviewing these facts?

The biggest mass murders involving guns in recent history; Columbine, VT, Aurora and now Sandy Hook had some common elements. All took place in the darling of the gun control movements "Gun free zone", perpetrated by madmen on powerful psychotropic drugs without proper supervision. Columbine took place during the last AWB.

Wouldnt it be reasonable to say where there are no guns in the hands of law abiding citizens, is where the tragedies happen?

Wouldnt it be reasonable, as well, to more closely monitor psychotropic drugs and those taking these powerful medications as opposed to making more laws restricting law abiding gun owners? Laws that have been PROVEN to NOT work!


Use fact and reasoned thinking...make them THINK.

Also, the person they are labeling this mass murderwith was 24...not a minor. When you quote incorrect information, your argument falls apart....just saying

Also, trying to make one in high govt feel stupid, by telling them what the second is for and to read founders papers is going to be counter productive....

Just trying to help my friend....

__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Last edited by fmj; 12-21-2012 at 02:52 AM.
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:53 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mosin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,370
Liked 4539 Times on 2261 Posts
Likes Given: 1030

Default

Fmj. I'm sending letters tonight when I get to my computer. May I cut and paste your statement? I like it a lot.

__________________

Arbitrary enforcement of the law is the mark of tyranny. Citizens will always fight against it.

Mosin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:55 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lbwar15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,016
Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Default

I just saw the rest of it. Keep us posted on his response.

__________________
lbwar15 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:26 AM   #8
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Fmj. I'm sending letters tonight when I get to my computer. May I cut and paste your statement? I like it a lot.
Most certainly!! I would suggest you edit for punctuation and spell things out that i abbreviated like AWB etc and spell Chitcago correctly!!!

Heres what i sent to my reps a couple days ago...i wished i would have spent a little more time with it but i wrote and sent instead of stewing on it for a while as i should have.

Use it, scrap it, add to it, combine both as you see fit, i dont care....DRIVE THE POINT HOME!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am writing to you in light of the tragic events that transpired Newtown CT. I, as a father of 3, am terribly grieved by the loss of so many children. We as a nation grieve. My thoughts and prayers go out to the parents bereft of their children.

This being said, I ask, nay, I expect you to oppose any and all gun control legislation that will be coming down the line very soon. I suspect i know where you stand on our second amendment right or you wouldnt have received my continued support, but i feel its my duty to remind you where i stand on this issue. (this highlighted i added to for my Rep. that i DO support...its omitted from the copy i sent to my senator...i am waiting for our new liberal Senator to be seated and he will be getting some corespondence as well )

We have seen time and again that gun control, or the disarming of law abiding American citizens, does nothing to deter crime. In fact it does the opposite, gun control emboldens those that would do violent crime on the innocent.

Four mass murders in recent history, VT Tech, Columbine, Aurora and now Sandy Hook have some common ties:

1) the madman (men) were all on powerful psychotropic/anti-psychotic medications without proper supervision.
2) All occurred in “Gun Free Zones”.


I ask, how did the darling of gun control advocates, the “Gun Free Zone” work? How could these massacres have happened in a “Gun Free Zone” when no guns are allowed in these places?

Gun Control DOES NOT WORK!

I ask of you ____________, in the coming days, to use good ole fashioned Hoosier common sense and work to defeat the insane bills that will be coming from the liberal left. Defend our God given right (NOT a right derived from the Govt.) to defend ourselves from madmen.
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Last edited by fmj; 12-21-2012 at 03:29 AM.
fmj is offline  
KG7IL Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:01 AM   #9
For unto us a child is born..
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
KG7IL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Posts: 2,638
Liked 1897 Times on 1053 Posts
Likes Given: 5713

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
My take...i am trying to criticize constructively..please keep this in mind.......
Just trying to help my friend....
No problem, The letters have been sent to all of my reps.
I got a phone call from one immediately. He is in full suppport, no AWB,

My other state representative responded with the common country sense answer, I cc'd him on the note to Becker and will try to arrange a meeting with Becker and McCune.

The bath-tub is pertinent considering my ally.

Dear Glenn,
I'll think about what the anti-2nd Amendment folks want after they outlaw baseball bats, knives, fertilizers, bath tubs, etc.
Merry Christmas!
Rep. McCune

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post

Also, the person they are labeling this mass murderwith was 24...not a minor. When you quote incorrect information, your argument falls apart....just saying
You must be getting different news, everything I see is that Adam Lanza is 20 years old ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
And what was the response to this?
I will keep you posted
__________________
JOIN THE NRA

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL
KG7IL is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
charlesmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 109
Liked 61 Times on 32 Posts

Default

I wrote every single rep in Oregon, all of them.


I was extremely surprised to get many letters back, some I perceived to be personal or at least written by an aide.

Many have voiced support. One reccomed a arming our teachers, quite a few are supporting him.

__________________
charlesmar is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Painted letters and polished release Engine5truck Glock Forum 43 08-09-2012 09:01 AM
Other entertaining letters to BGs Vincine The Club House 5 11-02-2011 03:07 PM
STROKE: Remember the 1st Three Letters.... S. T. R. +T canebrake Training & Safety 16 02-18-2011 03:24 AM
Very Thorough Write-Up From The LE Angle. gorknoids XD Forum 11 03-07-2010 04:34 AM