would you support a requirement of... - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > would you support a requirement of...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 03:42 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
so, yesterday I was at the gun store, buying my umpteenth gun. I'm a CCW permit holder, and a military veteran. I'd like to think that I have the training and understanding to be safe with weapons, and could probably pick up any weapon system and be safe with it, even if it's one that I've never fired before.

however, when I was at the gun store, what I saw and heard was somewhat scarey. the questions people were asking, the comments they were making, the way they were handling weapons... it all screamed one thing to me; that the gun store was full of first time gun buyers who had no idea how to be safe, no experience with weapons, no training, and most likely, have never been to the range to even fire a weapon.

Good for them for deciding to go out and arm themselves.

but its also scarey to think that all these people are buying weapons with no idea on how to safely handle them.

Question, would you be ok with a new requirement for gun owners -- one to show that you've had SOME kind of weapons training, before buying a weapon? i.e. a DD214 to show prior military experience which means you've had weapons training, or a "diploma" from some type of NRA approved weapons handling class? or would this be viewed as more restrictive oppressive rules that make it more difficult for law abiding citizens to buy weapons?

Thoughts? discuss!

I was a range coach for the Marines and we still had people be stupid with weapons so a DD214 to me means nothing. I think those individuals who are first time gun owners will learn and want to learn. Just because someone presents a certificate doesn't mean anything there is a gun store here that gives a 1hr "certification" class for a CCW. They don't teach a damn thing in an hour.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:46 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
So why, after 238 years of independence, would these requirements be appropriate now?

Know what scares me these days!? So many enlisted veterans formerly living regimented lives transitioning, and transposing their narrow training, to civilian life. Perhaps we should test them regularly in half-way camps until we are certain they stop thinking of, and referring to, firearms as "weapons"...

Force of habit when you been in the military.... and with the definition of a weapon being "device designed to injure or kill: a device designed to inflict injury or death on an opponent" yeah I would say a gun/firearm is a weapon.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:

Old 01-07-2013, 03:52 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

My first quote, click on the > next to Hossfly name
and see where it takes you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Perhaps we should test them regularly in half-way camps until we are certain they stop thinking of, and referring to, firearms as "weapons"...
This is not Hossfly's quote but the 'puter thinks it was, maybe the 'puter was just tired last night, I was...

Now do the same here, very strange. The correct
quote is from HockaLouis. Sorry for the confusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Perhaps we should test them regularly in half-way camps until we are certain they stop thinking of, and referring to, firearms as "weapons"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
Force of habit when you been in the military.
Just call you rifle or weapon a gun or firearm in front of your DI or Company
Commander in Bootcamp. I dare you to... I did once, and only once...

You cannot undo that kind of training.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Last edited by Shade; 01-07-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:54 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
I don't remember back that far but I'm pretty sure our DIs called it a weapon.

Member:

Old 01-07-2013, 04:01 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
I don't remember back that far but I'm pretty sure our DIs called it a weapon.
There were only 2 acceptable terms, Rifle or Weapon.

"This is my rifle and this is my gun,
This is for fightin' and this is for fun.
Sound off..."

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 01-07-2013, 04:06 AM   #36

Liked 158 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 84

My brother was in the army for ten years and there is no way in hell I will be around him and "weapons" at the same time. You cant fix or train stupid!

Old 01-07-2013, 04:37 AM   #37

Liked 4791 Times on 2317 Posts
Likes Given: 1482

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMormon View Post
My brother was in the army for ten years and there is no way in hell I will be around him and "weapons" at the same time. You cant fix or train stupid!
What was his MOS?

Old 01-07-2013, 05:00 AM   #38

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post
New to this thread but AMEN brother. Ive also been weary about frequenting my LGS because at any given time now its absolutely FLOODED with newbies...and frankly some idiots....and I dont know quite how I feel about this new trend of newbs owning guns. This media sensationalism has caused a panic, those who were on the fence or even AGAINST guns before are scarfing up guns and ammo like crazy. And I dont like some of these folks either. Some were real punk lookin guys...quite a few couples who knew absolutely nothing....and just a ton of newbs who were doing all the wrong things: muzzle sweeping, fingers on trigger, no idea the difference between DA/SA, asking ridiculous questions, slamming the slide release forward into battery, no idea how to operate and cycle a semi auto...etc etc.

I dont like this new trend. Makes me feel like every idiot on my block is now armed with guns they dont even know how to use. I wish things would return to normal and ASAP.
So, let me get this straight, you avoid your LGS because people new to guns, like you were at some time in you life, are going there to look at guns and possibly gain some information on the subject, God forbid.
You don't know how you feel about newbs owning guns? WOW. Punk looking guys and couples who know nothing about guns, holy crap what are they doing at the LGS?
I cannot believe the arrogance of some people, some of these comments and ideas almost make me ashamed to call myself a fellow gun owner. The above comments I would expect to come from the mouth of Feinstein and her ilk, demonizing prospective gun owners because of your perception of them as idiots because they are asking questions at one of the better places to get the answers, or even worse yet, because you feel they look like punks?
Sorry, I guess I have a little more faith in my fellow gun owners, I don't assume they are morons because of how they dress or look or because they are asking the man at the LGS a question, it seems to me they are trying to educate themselves on the subject and it is probably a decent place to start. I applaud them for asking questions and would like to believe their next step is to buy their gun of choice and get some instruction on how to use it safely.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

bamashooter68 Likes This 
Old 01-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #39

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

NO......Nothing more to say

Old 01-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #40

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post

You cannot undo that kind of training.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

If you going to quote learn to do it right & don't butcher up cut & paste jobs -
Thats NOT a quote from me!-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET