would you support a requirement of... - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > would you support a requirement of...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 125 Times on 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Perhaps we should test them regularly in half-way camps until we are certain they stop thinking of, and referring to, firearms as "weapons"...

If a firearm isn't a weapon, then why can't I carry one into the airport? Why do I need a CCW license to carry one around if it isn't a weapon? doesn't the "W" in "CCW" stand for "Weapon"?

Old 01-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #22

Liked 125 Times on 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

Is it a damned good idea to GET training? Yep. You want the government to establish training standards? Think about that for a minute. In 5 minutes I can devise a shooting performance test that will fail 99.9% of the people that attempt it.
I wasn't talking about a marksman/shooting performance test. there's a difference in being a marksman and having safe weapons handling skills. keeping your finger off the trigger, treating every weapon like it's loaded, and being smart/responsible around a weapon is different than being able to hit a quarter at 50 yards with a handgun.

I agree with your argument on "letting the government decide what is actually safe" however, in Ohio, the government does NOT make that decision. the law for a CCW permit reads as defaulting to the NRA for an appropriate safety training class to be able to obtain your permit, or simply supply a DD214 or other paperwork that shows you've been in the military, which then equates to having had firearms training. the Ohio law does not actually specify what they mean by "safety".

Anyway, my thought process: when reading various threads and subforums on this website, it becomes apparent that MANY of the members participating in this forum believe that there are a LOT of "idiot gun owners" out there who have no business handling a loaded firearm because of the risk they put themselves and others at, even if they are law abiding citizens. the fear of "idiot gun nuts" at a gun show who would start popping off rounds, or the "idiot gun nuts" who give "law abiding gun owners a bad name" or the "idiot gun nuts" who....

In a time like this when it seems that we will soon be put into a polarizing debate on gun control, one would think that "idiot gun owners" might be a hindrance to ALL gun owners. We talk about how law abiding gun owners are responsible with their guns, don't hurt people with their guns, and that gun control hurts us because of the actions of criminals. wouldn't we then want all gun owners to ACTUALLY be safe, responsible, mature gun owners?

I don't know that I believe we need a new restriction, because like most of you, I agree, we should be able to walk in, give the man our money, and walk out with a gun. One could argue that there's nothing in the 2nd amendment about criminals being barred from gun ownership, yet we seem to agree that it's ok to prevent someone who's beat their wife, dealt drugs, raped, murdered ,etc .from buying a gun, and you could ALSO argue that the 2nd amendment DOES say "well regulated militia" which implies some sort of training.

Also, what got me thinking about this, was my trip to the LGS yesterday. while waiting for my turn at the counter ("take a number/now serving" system) and then while waiting for the NICS check, I overheard a LOT of "dumb questions" being asked--which hey, at least they were asking them, but I also witnessed lots of those "idiot gun nuts" that were acting like they'd never been around guns before, and wanted to buy one because it was "cool" I couldn't help but shake my head as I thought "these are the kind of people that are representing gun owners? they're giving us a bad name!"

--of course, I don't know that any kind of mandatory training class would fix that either.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:10 AM   #23

Liked 64 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The idea is good. I've seen a lot of dumb asses with guns, and stories of people cleaning their loaded guns. But I just see so maney futcher problems with incerssing yearly fees. And a suto national gun regerstery. So in thuriery. Its a good idea. But you can't trust the goverment to run the program

Old 01-07-2013, 03:26 AM   #24

Liked 217 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Any requirement of any sort by the gov't will further erode away 2nd amendment rights. I don't support any training requirement to buy a gun. Nor would it do any good, people would go through with whatever training program bs is decided necessary to get their permit or whatever you want to call it then they'd buy their guns and forget about what they were forced to learn. Ever wonder why car accidents happen? All those folks took driver's education classes and were taught the proper, safe ways to drive, so none of them should ever do anything unsafe right? Most people further than a couple years from driver's training probably wouldn't be able to pass the driver's test and it would be the same with gun training. An overall waste of time and further erosion of our rights.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

nitestalker Likes This 
Old 01-07-2013, 03:28 AM   #25

Absolutely not. It's one inch that leads to a foot.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:35 AM   #26

Liked 795 Times on 424 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
so, yesterday I was at the gun store, buying my umpteenth gun. I'm a CCW permit holder, and a military veteran. I'd like to think that I have the training and understanding to be safe with weapons, and could probably pick up any weapon system and be safe with it, even if it's one that I've never fired before.

however, when I was at the gun store, what I saw and heard was somewhat scarey. the questions people were asking, the comments they were making, the way they were handling weapons... it all screamed one thing to me; that the gun store was full of first time gun buyers who had no idea how to be safe, no experience with weapons, no training, and most likely, have never been to the range to even fire a weapon.

Good for them for deciding to go out and arm themselves.

but its also scarey to think that all these people are buying weapons with no idea on how to safely handle them.

Question, would you be ok with a new requirement for gun owners -- one to show that you've had SOME kind of weapons training, before buying a weapon? i.e. a DD214 to show prior military experience which means you've had weapons training, or a "diploma" from some type of NRA approved weapons handling class? or would this be viewed as more restrictive oppressive rules that make it more difficult for law abiding citizens to buy weapons?

Thoughts? discuss!

I say Hell No!!!! Set a requirement and it can (and at some point will) be set and $$charged$$ in a restrictive manner

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 01-07-2013, 03:40 AM   #27

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Quote:
so, yesterday I was at the gun store, buying my umpteenth gun. I'm a CCW permit holder, and a military veteran. I'd like to think that I have the training and understanding to be safe with weapons, and could probably pick up any weapon system and be safe with it, even if it's one that I've never fired before.

however, when I was at the gun store, what I saw and heard was somewhat scarey. the questions people were asking, the comments they were making, the way they were handling weapons... it all screamed one thing to me; that the gun store was full of first time gun buyers who had no idea how to be safe, no experience with weapons, no training, and most likely, have never been to the range to even fire a weapon.

but its also scarey to think that all these people are buying weapons with no idea on how to safely handle them.

Question, would you be ok with a new requirement for gun owners -- one to show that you've had SOME kind of weapons training, before buying a weapon? i.e. a DD214 to show prior military experience which means you've had weapons training, or a "diploma" from some type of NRA approved weapons handling class? or would this be viewed as more restrictive oppressive rules that make it more difficult for law abiding citizens to buy weapons?

Thoughts? discuss!
New to this thread but AMEN brother. Ive also been weary about frequenting my LGS because at any given time now its absolutely FLOODED with newbies...and frankly some idiots....and I dont know quite how I feel about this new trend of newbs owning guns. This media sensationalism has caused a panic, those who were on the fence or even AGAINST guns before are scarfing up guns and ammo like crazy. And I dont like some of these folks either. Some were real punk lookin guys...quite a few couples who knew absolutely nothing....and just a ton of newbs who were doing all the wrong things: muzzle sweeping, fingers on trigger, no idea the difference between DA/SA, asking ridiculous questions, slamming the slide release forward into battery, no idea how to operate and cycle a semi auto...etc etc.

I dont like this new trend. Makes me feel like every idiot on my block is now armed with guns they dont even know how to use. I wish things would return to normal and ASAP.

Last edited by StainlessSteel215; 01-07-2013 at 03:42 AM.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:51 AM   #28

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Becareful. Liberals are not against guns. Liberals only want to control who has them. When the Left takes over they use guns.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:53 AM   #29

Liked 5007 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Personally, I do not favor any of the 20,000 restrictions currently on the books so no, I would not support yet another expansion of government power at the expense of liberty.

Tack

Old 01-07-2013, 04:15 AM   #30
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8850 Times on 5123 Posts
Likes Given: 11575

Quote:

Thoughts? discuss!
I would entertain the idea, but only if the existing 20K gun laws currently on the books were repealed first.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.