Would you fire a warning shot? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Would you fire a warning shot?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

A prison sentence of 20 years for shooting a warning shot instead of shooting abuse husband is downright insane.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #12
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Never. Warnings are for people who's lives or families are NOT in imminent danger. If you have to shoot, you never shoot for anything except to stop a threat or to stop an assailant's assault. No more, no less, ever.
+ 1 well said Trip

Old 05-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #13

Liked 763 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 462

Her real problem was that she re-entered the house after safely fleeing from the attacker. At that point any and all self-defense claims are gone. Had she shot him she may be facing a life sentence...I do believe, however, that she needs a better attorney...she should not have been convicted, no one was harmed whatsoever in this case. 20 years is a bit excessive but indicative of what happens when mandatory sentencing laws take away a judges discretion...a widesweeping law aimed at keeping violent criminals in jail catches an abuse victim in it's net.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 05-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #14

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I would fire a warning shot but I think the bullet will get there before the report. The perp may have a chance to duck but he would have to be really quick. The follow-up shot would be coming directly behind the warning shot. So, there should be not doubt what the intent would be.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

I would only fire warning shots in the rare case that the act of drawing my weapon reduced the threat. Happened to a friend of mine actually. No other firearms were involved but it was a mob of people trapping him, that quickly dispersed when he drew his pistol. That left a few drunk idiots and one in particular that is very lucky he had a friend nearby to talk some sense into him after the warning shot was fired at his feet. Long story short, my friend called the police immediately after he got home (a block away) and the LEO's said he did it right. In the OP story the big mistake was going back into the house instead of finding a phone. The 20 year sentence is ridiculous though.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #16

Liked 200 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 109

It depends on your definition of a "warning shot."

If I can back away from trouble, and the perp continues to follow me, then I would shoot the perp in the foot or leg. That would be his warning shot.

If I cannot back away or he already has me gripped, I would first use judo to sweep him off his feet. I have done that several times in the past already, and it has worked really well. Then as they are falling to the ground, which usually takes 2 seconds, I would back away and draw my weapon.

If they get back up and try to close the distance again, I would as I said before shoot them in the foot or leg, and that would be their warning shot.

After all that, if they are still somehow closing, like a zombie or mummy, in a Michael Jackson video, I would shoot them again. Probably in a shoulder. Probably not in the belly or chest. That would be their second warning shot.

Note that all of my warning shots would be going into their bodies, because I do not believe in wasting ammo.

Waste not, want not.

It would take a lot of PCP in their system for them to keep on coming at this point, with two warning shots lodged within their bodies, probably foot and shoulder.

If they still kept coming, and I still could not back away and get away, the next shot would be to their chest, somewhere.

I have not yet decided if at that point I would give them a sucking chest wound to their right chest, or finish them off with a shot to their heart in their left chest or dead center chest. I just don't know.

So those are my own definitions of warning shots.

I was in that situation once, where I might have had to do that.

Fortunately when I yelled "stop!" the perp stopped. Had he not stopped, he would have gotten shot somewhere that night.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1151 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 690

My "warning shot" will connect around the sternum. The second non-warning shot near the right collar bone. And the you should of payed attention to my warning shot shot will be another 5-6 inches higher and back in line with the hole in the sternum

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #18

Liked 200 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
My "warning shot" will connect around the sternum. The second non-warning shot near the right collar bone. And the you should of payed attention to my warning shot shot will be another 5-6 inches higher and back in line with the hole in the sternum
It makes more sense to put the first shot into the right or left collar bone, although the right is more merciful, since that is further away from the heart.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9170 Times on 3959 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

I know of no way to mercifully or humanely to shoot anybody with a firearm. Warnings consist of "STOP!" A shot across the bow is for navies. As far as picking your shot, on a moving target under extreme stress- Good luck. Me- shooting for the biggest piece I can see until it changes shape or catches on fire.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #20

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee
It depends on your definition of a "warning shot."

If I can back away from trouble, and the perp continues to follow me, then I would shoot the perp in the foot or leg. That would be his warning shot.

If I cannot back away or he already has me gripped, I would first use judo to sweep him off his feet. I have done that several times in the past already, and it has worked really well. Then as they are falling to the ground, which usually takes 2 seconds, I would back away and draw my weapon.

If they get back up and try to close the distance again, I would as I said before shoot them in the foot or leg, and that would be their warning shot.

After all that, if they are still somehow closing, like a zombie or mummy, in a Michael Jackson video, I would shoot them again. Probably in a shoulder. Probably not in the belly or chest. That would be their second warning shot.

Note that all of my warning shots would be going into their bodies, because I do not believe in wasting ammo.

Waste not, want not.

It would take a lot of PCP in their system for them to keep on coming at this point, with two warning shots lodged within their bodies, probably foot and shoulder.

If they still kept coming, and I still could not back away and get away, the next shot would be to their chest, somewhere.
You may want to rethink that idea. A good friend of mine was involved in a series of events extremely similar to that. He avoided a prison sentence, but at the cost of bankruptcy, a couple of years long legal battle, his wife (she left him because of the emotional distress), and his kids. In Texas, what is considered by many to be one of the less restrictive bastions of freedom in this country. Yeah, like I said, he avoided prison, but only by the skin of his teeth.

Closed Thread