Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Would this work for gun purchases?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2611 Times on 1520 Posts
Likes Given: 1162

Default Would this work for gun purchases?

Currently (and looks like in the future, also), when one goes in to purchase a firearm, a background check has to be completed each and every time a purchase is made.

How about the government issuing a FOID to everybody? Info for the 4473 can be taken directly from the FOID.

Should a situation arise that you are no longer eligible to purchase a firearm, then the FOID is turned in or confiscated. The only way to get it back is through a special application process. Guidelines for confiscating the FOID will be provided to LEO and health care (mental cases only).

If someone is arrested with a firearm and there is no FOID on the individual, then an automatic 10 years sentence with no parole.

Those who are currently ineligible would not receive an FOID.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

mhannaford Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't see this as a bad idea. Personally I'd feel a bit better about a CDL-type licensure for different "categories" of weapons. I really don't see a problem with someone owning a RPG...as long as they are trained and licensed to do so. Its not like they just hand weapons out in the military. They are trained on how to use them first, then practice, then a test. I don't have a problem if they did the same "tiered" system for your government issued FOID.