would this qualify as a musket and would it be legal
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > would this qualify as a musket and would it be legal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default would this qualify as a musket and would it be legal

Ok so i have been wondering if it would be legal to make something.
I'm not sure if i can call it a musket because it doesn't seem like it to me.
But theoretically if i took some time to design and build a pistol or rifle type gun that shot 177 cal pellets would it be legal to make it use the .22 blanks found at the hardware store to propel the projectile? I would put the pellet in the barrel and on the other end i would have it bored out for .22 blanks then a pilot hole then it would go back to a .177 sized barrel. I live in Illinois but am not sure about the law on this, same thing with homemade muskets.If i built one that used .22 primers is that legal i have read it is legal on some websites and have read it is illegal as well. My next idea was if i were to theoretically if i were to also make a ''gun'' i guess you could say that used homemade bullets would that be illegal? i would use sheet metal welding and epoxy and basically i would make a homemade primer,casing and firing mechanism along with a barrel that's around 1/2'' in size because im not to sure there's a bullet that would fit in 1/2 in tubing and correctly fire.

Now, im sure your wondering why not just buy a gun or a musket? Well, i love to design and build and modify things so even if i bought a gun or musket/ black powder rifle i would still be tempted to build this stuff. So can some please let me know if it would be legal? AND

irrelevant but this guy is the only guy involved in Illinois's government that has more than two brain cells

Last edited by beastmode986; 06-01-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-02-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8962 Times on 3880 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Beast- a couple of notes of caution here.

First, I seem to recall that you are one of our younger members- correct? And that you are still in Illinois (Emphasis on the ILL)? I ask because of legalities like the FOID. A homemade firearm IS still a firearm.

Second, the difference between an air rifle and a firearm is that an air rifle uses compressed gas or air, and not explosives. Daisy learned this lesson years back when they came up with a nifty CASELESS 22 that used compressed air to ignite the propellant on the bullet- to be told by the ATF that they had entered the gun making business without touching second base. What you describe is a firearm, no matter that the projectile is a pellet.

Third, a muzzle loader does not use metallic cartridges. Not a musket- sorry.

Finally- the pressures - even from a .22 "blank are higher than you think. I use .22 blanks to shoot steel fasteners through steel and into concrete. It is called a Powder Actuated Tool- Made by Hilti, Ramset, and Remington. You can build a gun that will disassemble itself really easy. As far as epoxy, not unless your name is Gaston Glock, and even HE uses machined steel where it is needed.

Summary- bad idea. Don't.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:57 AM   #3

OK thanks, yes im still in communist illinois but i expect to be in Arizona permanently by the end of july. So the .22 idea would still be a firearm and everything else mentioned as well ? oh yeah and yes im a younger member.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Yes, that would be a firearm, and I asked about your age in regard to legalities- you did say handgun, and some areas restrict possession of a handgun by a minor.

But as I said- not good idea.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #5

Ah yes im 14, Now i have another question since i like to tinker and build things,what about those parts kits im seeing? I'm talking about parts kits on centerfire systems and stuff. They look like they would make a neat project.What im mainly wondering is it legal to buy and assemble one in states that dont require a foid card without any special licensing?Now im pretty sure its illegal in Illinois without a foid card even if the kit is not complete.
Also im wondering if these parts kits come with everything besides whatever is mentioned that the kit excludes?
http://centerfiresystems.com/KIT-M53-1.aspx
http://centerfiresystems.com/KIT-M31.aspx

Old 06-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_162_194&products_id=3450

This might be more fun. I LOVE my sidelock pistol; i didn't build mine, caught it on sale. Everybody who has shot mine has found the loading process to be as fun as the firing process; i can only imagine the building process would be equally entertaining. By the way, that is a half inch ball of lead that is the projectile.

You will probably need to get a parent involved in the project, as there are still some age restrictions for those under 18. When i was a kid, i simply needed to make sure i had clearance from my parents to enjoy my .22's and such, but times have changed and you aren't in MS. I am NOT sure about sillinois law on black powder arms, though, but AZ should be more sensible.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #7

in illinois they are classified as firearms and a foid is required ill wait til i move to arizona my parents are ok with it

Old 06-03-2012, 01:03 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
Ah yes im 14, Now i have another question since i like to tinker and build things,what about those parts kits im seeing? I'm talking about parts kits on centerfire systems and stuff. They look like they would make a neat project.What im mainly wondering is it legal to buy and assemble one in states that dont require a foid card without any special licensing?Now im pretty sure its illegal in Illinois without a foid card even if the kit is not complete.
Also im wondering if these parts kits come with everything besides whatever is mentioned that the kit excludes?
http://centerfiresystems.com/KIT-M53-1.aspx
http://centerfiresystems.com/KIT-M31.aspx
those are de-milled military firearms. without extensive knowledge, skill and the proper equipment, you are never going to be able to make a working firearm out of them, if even possible to do so. best bet, wait until you and the family move to Arizona, then you're going to have much better firearm freedoms to enjoy.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #9

ok thanks!

Old 06-03-2012, 02:11 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

As Axxe said. Those are not even quite demilled firearms- the RECEIVER is not there on a lot of parts kits. They are SPARE PARTS for people that already have the gun.

The receiver (the frame) of a gun is LEGALLY the gun- every thing else is just parts. And no, you CANNOT legally make your own machine gun unless you have a lot of very special paperwork.

By the way- a machinegun is demilled (de-militarized- made unusable) by taking a cutting torch, and burning the receiver into 3 or more pieces. They used to cut them up with a power saw, but that made neat cuts, and some folks (shudder) rewelded them. But a cutting torch eats up a path about 3/8ths of an inch wide, all the way through the frame. THAT can't be fixed.