Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Would it be legal if..

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1670 Times on 943 Posts
Likes Given: 1127

When I see people carrying guns and wearing masks at a demonstration one word comes to mind...cowards.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 03-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #22

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
I don't care if it's legal or not.

If I was going to a gun rights rally, I would NOT give the media a photo op by showing up looking like a rapist.

If I was worried about facial recog software, I would wear a baseball cap, pulled low, large sunglasses, and maybe fake facial hair.

There are other ways to disguise your looks besides donning the ski mask and looking like a terrorist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
If you are not willing to let your ID be known just stay at home!!! Like I said we must 'live' our commitment, so if you are ashamed/afraid just let those who are not do the job for you!!!
I have to agree with these statements. Except for the fake beard maybe.

Honestly in this day and age you are probably more well known to those that feel they have to know anyway. A mask is not the way to go. I can see wearing a hat and glasses but I wear some type of hat almost all the time and if I'm outside in the day light then I probably have some type of sunglasses on. Not to hide myself. I really like hats and have light sensitive eyes.
The reason for going to some type of demonstration is to show your support. Hiding to me sounds like kind of a weenie thing to do in such an instance.

WE leave a really long trail behind us in our every day lives. anytime we don't use cash and our internet footprint make it pretty easy to see what a person is up to or at the least what you're about.It does not take many man hours to monitor some web site(s).

If you truly believe in what you are demonstrating about then I can't really see a plus to hiding who you are. Unless of course you are in some way not being 100% law abiding in your activities.

Gun owners need to show they are not afraid to fight for their rights and in doing so can without lowering themselves to what a more liberal demonstrator often does. If by some screw up media does come to report on th eevent we owe it to the entire gun community ro show we are civilized, law abiding citizens that are only fighting for what we believe in.

I'm a proponent of open carry. I can't see any plus in showing up to an open carry event looking like I have to hide myself or worse, have my picture in the news looking like I'm ready to knock off a liquor store.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #23

Liked 385 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 1371

OK fellas I guess I didnt do a good job job in spelling it out.

Obviously in the currenty climate it would be counterproductive.
But I am looking ahead when all this may have entered another phase.

At the current rate of polarization one thing tends to lead to another.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 03-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #24
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19871 Times on 11287 Posts
Likes Given: 50093

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
OK fellas I guess I didnt do a good job job in spelling it out.

Obviously in the currenty climate it would be counterproductive.
But I am looking ahead when all this may have entered another phase.

At the current rate of polarization one thing tends to lead to another.
personally, i think you're overreacting and over thinking this.

if you're supporting the 2nd amendment, then do so proudly. if you're not proud of who you are and what you stand for, then do us all a favor and stay at home. some used the word coward, but i'm thinking spineless.

most facial recognition software has become very sophisticated and even if you have sunglasses, a fake beard, a cap and contacts and a variety of other things, it will still be able to recognize you.

if you're worried about being on some "list", thing is most of us already are.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #25

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Also illegal here in VA. and just a bad idea in my opinion. I just know if i saw a guy wearing a ski mask and carrying a firearm i'd be watching him very closely. It would probably make you a target by law enforcement . They'd probably detain you and ask for your Identification or CCW card depending on where you live and defeat the whole purpose.
§ 18.2-422. Prohibition of wearing of masks in certain places; exceptions.

It shall be unlawful for any person over sixteen years of age while wearing any mask, hood or other device whereby a substantial portion of the face is hidden or covered so as to conceal the identity of the wearer, to be or appear in any public place, or upon any private property in this Commonwealth without first having obtained from the owner or tenant thereof consent to do so in writing. However, the provisions of this section shall not apply to persons (i) wearing traditional holiday costumes; (ii) engaged in professions, trades, employment or other activities and wearing protective masks which are deemed necessary for the physical safety of the wearer or other persons; (iii) engaged in any bona fide theatrical production or masquerade ball; or (iv) wearing a mask, hood or other device for bona fide medical reasons upon (a) the advice of a licensed physician or osteopath and carrying on his person an affidavit from the physician or osteopath specifying the medical necessity for wearing the device and the date on which the wearing of the device will no longer be necessary and providing a brief description of the device, or (b) the declaration of a disaster or state of emergency by the Governor in response to a public health emergency where the emergency declaration expressly waives this section, defines the mask appropriate for the emergency, and provides for the duration of the waiver. The violation of any provisions of this section shall constitute a Class 6 felony.

(Code 1950, §§ 18.1-364, 18.1-367; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1986, c. 19; 2010, cc. 262, 420.)

we're Americans and we pray for peace, and if we can't have peace we find and destroy the people who screwed up the damn peace. So we can have some peace. - Christopher Titus

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1158 Times on 569 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I am not a lawyer, I did not play one on TV, and I slept at home last night, not at a Holiday Inn.

That said, there is a law suit ongoing still in Florida where a Muslim woman wants to have her drivers license picture taken with her face coverd for modesty. The state has said "no bleeping way!" I for one hope the state prevails on this.

So just on that I would say the baseball cap and sunglasses would be as good as you can do.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #27

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Bluez- You asked if it was legal.

Does this bunch of bozos LOOK like lawyers?

Now. LEGAL means complies with the law. And there are 57 different states that have laws. Do not know about where YOU are, but here in Virginia, you WILL end up needing that lawyer. C&P from the Virginia Criminal Code:...
Wow, never would have guessed there was actually a law against wearing a mask ... now I know Doesn't change what or how I will do things but at least I am aware of it, thanks c3

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 03-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #28

Liked 385 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 1371

J. H. C. people!!!!

Sometimes people just want to be offended or interpret the most possible negative spin.
Often w/o answering the question and hijacking the thread in the process (sigh)

To those making these absurd accusations because i dared ask the question put your thinking cap on and re read the question and the follow on clarifications.

between C3shooter on page 1 and 4th point of contact on page the question was answered perfectly.

Moderator: Can we please lock this thread?

The question was answered to the satisfaction of the original poster.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Last edited by bluez; 03-03-2013 at 10:44 PM.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #29
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5285 Times on 2756 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post

PS: Jon: Policemen also gett o cover their faces when they out on riot gear. And they carry weapons also.
But no one from that ,takes an implicit persmission to shoot at them.. it is their right to wear both....And whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
its a gestapo tactic in my book. im ex-police myself and i still firmly believe only deathsquad members and terrorists need to cover their faces.

only need to cover up if your ashamed of what your doing

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-03-2013 at 11:38 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #30
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8392 Times on 3630 Posts
Likes Given: 1293

Folks- question was asked, answered, so will close this thread. HOWEVER- you want to know how the law that was quoted came to be on the books in VA?

Read the law.

.....while wearing any mask, hood or other device....

That's right, folks. Courtesy of the Ku Klux Klan- whose members were traditionally hooded.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Closed Thread