Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Legal and Activism (
-   -   Wondering if I'd be approved to carry in MD (

DerickVonD 10-31-2011 10:05 PM

Wondering if I'd be approved to carry in MD
Hi everyone. I am new and I need some help. Okay, so I want to work at this security job over the summer and I want to buy a .357. Trouble is I know MD is strict with gun laws. I have no criminal record, but I do have a big medical record. I have bipolar and a history of depression and being on anti-depressants. Do you think I'd be approved?

dunerunner 10-31-2011 10:08 PM

Initially I'd say, no. But, check with your DOJ just in case I'm wrong. I'm assuming the security job was unarmed.

DerickVonD 10-31-2011 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by dunerunner (Post 616185)
Initially I'd say, no. But, check with your DOJ just in case I'm wrong. I'm assuming the security job was unarmed.

Damnit. What about neighboring states. I want to move to PA or WV in the next few years and I don't want to go my whole life not being about to defend myself legally because of something I was born with. Whats a DOJ?

bkt 10-31-2011 10:23 PM

Forums like this aren't reliable for getting information on whether you can or can't carry. Your best bet no matter where you are is to check with your local sheriff. If you want to get a handle on state laws, google 'gun laws by state'. If you're not sure whether or not you fall into a particular category or you want to try to get your status changed, consult an attorney.

dunerunner 10-31-2011 10:26 PM

Department of Justice, not sure what they cal it in Maryland. I'd like to move to Vermont.

MCSM: Maryland Firearm Laws

The Office of the Attorney General of Vermont | Gun Laws

c3shooter 11-01-2011 03:09 AM

First, MD hands out darned few CHLs.

Second, they do not recognize any other states CHL.

Maryland CCW Concealed Carry Hand Gun Legal Info

Yunus 11-01-2011 10:05 AM

From my understanding you get the job first. Then the permit. And it will only be legal to carry while performing duties related to your job.

They "may" approve your request. Hahaha concealed carry humor.

MD sucks

DerickVonD 11-05-2011 03:18 PM

Just out of curiosity sake, what are my chances of getting a permit in PA? I want to maybe move there in the next 3 years anyway. I have family there.

DerickVonD 01-29-2012 02:00 AM

Well I took a look at gun laws in different states and it seems I might not have any trouble in Vermont.
It states you don't even need a permit to own a handgun and that Machine guns are legal, unless specifically made illegal under Federal Law. Is this true? Does anyone live in Vermont?

c3shooter 01-29-2012 02:42 AM

Derrick- Vermont does not require a permit to carry concealed. In MOST states, you do not need a permit to OWN a handgun. Machine guns are legal in MOST states. It must be a transferrable MG, you must be 21, able to own a firearm, and transfer must be done by a MG dealer in your home state. Transfer must be approved by the Federal BATFE, and you pay a one time $200 transfer tax.

However, do you have any IDEA how MUCH a legal machinegun will cost you? A LEGAL M16 is about $14,000 to $16,000. Yeah, count the zeros- that was not a mistake on my part.