Wisconsin gun ownership
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Wisconsin gun ownership

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Wisconsin gun ownership

Hi everyone,
In July of 2010 I received a felony drug charge in the state of Wisconsin. I had just turned 18 and was a stupid kid who thought taking the rap for a friend would show everyone that I was a real man. I received what Dane county (county I was charged in) calls "drug treatment court" which is a deferred adjudication in which I make a plea of no contest and enter an agreement with the judge to complete a special court program and then the charges will be dismissed on the prosecutors motion. I completed the program and had the charge dismissed, and later moved on to contacting the feds and getting my finger prints removed along with my arrest record. I am wondering if I am able to buy a gun? I am not a drug addict and in Wisconsin a deferred adjudication sentence in which the case is dismissed is not classified as a conviction. Ive bought a few guns at gun shows and what not, but not yet have I tried to buy one from an FFL dealer. Some people have said that chances are I will initially be denied but could then contact the ATF and after a few weeks could purchase the gun. I've heard it just takes a few weeks to buy a gun instead of being able to get it right away, but I am not sure. I rather not waste my time filling out paperwork to be told I cant have a gun and have everyone at the store think im a felon. Any help is appreciated!! God Bless!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 538 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Check yourself out on this website and good luck:

http://wcca.wicourts.gov/simpleCaseSearch.xsl;jsessionid=21AB547070F9A64C7B 48CB6EF3C30349.render6?

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 08-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1259 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Hey, try to buy one. If it fails, you will know what you have to get done to correct it. Better done now then if you get LEO attention and have a firearm on you. Good luck. We all did dumb stuff at 18.

By the way, go to Introductions and tell us who you are and what you are all about.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Old 08-28-2013, 03:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8oldguy View Post
the thing is, the CCAP search is merely a record of court activity, it is essentially a receipt for each court case you have had. For example, if you are involved in a case where the charges or dismissed or you are found not guilty, it will still show up on the site saying case was dismissed or defendant found not guilty, because it is just a record. Mine says "dismissed on prosecutors notion". When looking at the nics site, I do not violate any of the firearm ownership disqualifications. I guess ill just have to give it a try!

Old 08-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2986 Times on 1720 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

This is a link to the 4473.

Check out 11b and 11c (and the referenced paragraph).

A "Yes" answer could deny you a firearm.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-29-2013, 02:24 AM   #6

hey thank you for that! I believe I pass that because I was not given probation and my case was "set aside" meaning it was dismissed by the prosecutor. I hope im in the clear! I contacted a lawyer from my state specializing in deferred prosecution and they said I should still be able to own one, so I hope their right. Thank you for all your help!

EXCEPTION to 11.c. and 11.i.
A person who has been convicted of a felony, or any other crime, for which the judge could have imprisoned the person for more than one year, or who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence, is not prohibited from purchasing, receiving, or possessing a firearm if the jurisdiction where the conviction occurred, the person has been pardoned, the conviction has been expunged or set aside, or the person has had their civil rights (the right to vote, sit on a jury, and hold public office) taken away and later restored AND (2) the person is not prohibited by the law of the jurisdiction where the conviction occurred from receiving or possessing firearms. Persons subject to this exception should answer “no” to 11.c. or 11.i., as applicable.