Winter Olympics Shooting (The Good Kind)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Winter Olympics Shooting (The Good Kind)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default Winter Olympics Shooting (The Good Kind)

From: Alan Korwin's, Page Nine; No. 78 - Winter Olympics Shooting

The lamestream media told you:

Nothing.

The Uninvited Ombudsman notes however that:

The Winter Olympics in Vancouver has a target-shooting event, but the lamestream media has omitted it. Sadly, U.S. competitors were eliminated by bad weather, as this report from the National Shooting Sports Foundation outlines:

"Stinging sleet, snow and poor visibility took away any chance of winning the 10km biathlon sprint for American Tim Burke, a favorite to win a biathlon medal. The first biathletes to go off on Sunday skied and fired their rifles in a light rain, while those who went off later -- including Burke -- admittedly had no chance due to a sudden turn for the worse in the weather. 'The people starting in the middle of the pack had no chance today. Unfortunately, I was one of those,' Burke said."
More Olympic biathlon action followed with the men's 12.5km pursuit and the women's 10k pursuit. The .22 caliber 5-shot biathalon rifle is an alien-looking contraption and most marksmen have never seen anything like it. (See below)

HowStuffWorks "How Biathlon Works"

--------

More Olympic Shooting

The lamestream media told you:

Nothing again. This is getting old.

The Uninvited Ombudsman notes however that:

A rifle sold at auction -- five different times -- at a recent Wild Sheep Foundation convention netted $175,000 to help train American rifle, pistol and shotgun shooters for the 2012 Olympic Games. Auction proceeds go to USA Shooting, the official U.S. Olympic firearms training group.
Shooting sports are the number two consumer sport in the nation -- behind exercise (health clubs, home equipment, etc.) and ahead of golf (you've heard of golf, right). The media's gross bias is plainly evident in the amount of "news" coverage the shooting sports get, namely virtually zero. Even in the Olympics it barely gets any mention. The media digs its own grave by omitting news half the country would devour.
biathlon-6.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #2

Liked 1164 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 366

I watched some Biathlon last week. It was pretty cool. I thought it would be rather boring but because of the way it is done there is always someone shooting so it's not just watching cross-country skiing. The only problem is that because of the staggered start times, it's not a direct race, you don't know who won until everyone is done. I would prefer to see a head to head race.

I wonder what the cost of an Olympic rifle is?

NBC's coverage of the entire Olympics has been called into question, they didn't even show the USA v Canada hockey game on NBC, they pushed it to MSNBC which is not in HD in many locations, instead they showed Ice Dancing and 2 man Bobsled.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I saw a brief hilight with some guy skiing with a rifle, but i didn't actually see anybody shoot. Weird-looking rifles, i think the squirrels might heckle & throw poo until their buddies start dropping.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
I watched some Biathlon last week. It was pretty cool. I thought it would be rather boring but because of the way it is done there is always someone shooting so it's not just watching cross-country skiing. The only problem is that because of the staggered start times, it's not a direct race, you don't know who won until everyone is done. I would prefer to see a head to head race.
Then you wanted to see the "Mass Start" event. 10km for women, 15km for men. The event ran on Feb 21.
I'm not sure if you'll be able to access the vid from the US..
Biathlon | Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games | CTV Olympics

Quote:
A competitive rifle would start at about $1800. That would be a totally off-the-rack specimen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I saw a brief hilight with some guy skiing with a rifle, but i didn't actually see anybody shoot. Weird-looking rifles, i think the squirrels might heckle & throw poo until their buddies start dropping.
Ja, srsly, until their buddies started dropping. These guys and gals run full-out for about 6 minutes, then take about 12 seconds to set-up and shoot 5 shots in front of screaming crowds, where missing one of those little targets means skiing extra distance (making a lot more work to medal). Think of the fun of racing over a mile, cross-country, coming to a stop and having to hit 5 squirrels-out-of-5, then racing another mile. and doing it all again.

If you folks do see the video, you have a really good look at the rifles at 34:15 and beyond.

"Those who have long enjoyed privileges as we enjoy, forget, in time, that men have died to win them."

Franklin D. Roosvelt

Last edited by Splatter; 02-24-2010 at 07:35 PM.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #5

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I watched the womens event last night, and it was a heads up race. Russia won gold, France got silver and Germany got Bronze.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:22 PM   #6

Anybody watch "Top Gear"?

They did a Biathalon that was pretty great.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/Top-Gear-Biathlon_179403.htm

Old 02-24-2010, 09:41 PM   #7

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Obviously more in the US than in BC.

About $4,000 with all the necessary gear. Anschutz claims to hold 95% of the market in the Olympics.

Champion's Choice - Product Catalog - .22 Caliber Biathlon Rifles

Old 02-24-2010, 10:27 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunus View Post
i wonder what the cost of an olympic rifle is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by splatter View Post
a competitive rifle would start at about $1800. That would be a totally off-the-rack specimen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower View Post
obviously more in the us than in bc.

About $4,000 with all the necessary gear. Anschutz claims to hold 95% of the market in the olympics.

champion's choice - product catalog - .22 caliber biathlon rifles
Wow! Ok, when I last priced them a competitive rifle was $1000, I guess I'm further out of touch than I thought!
So, bare bones rifle... $3000

And for Anschutz market share? Ya, that's about right. Pretty much the Russians and the Chinese are the only ones not shooting "The Big 'A'" and even then they shoot rifles that have a very strong resemblance (cough-cough-copies-cough).

"Those who have long enjoyed privileges as we enjoy, forget, in time, that men have died to win them."

Franklin D. Roosvelt

Old 02-25-2010, 02:55 AM   #9

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
So, bare bones rifle... $3000
Yeah.... bare bones if you don't need a rear sight!
I have heard that those Russian-made (Ishmash) Biathlon Basic rifles are nothing to sneeze at either. One of the old timers at a local gun shop tried to talk me into buying one a few years back. He said he was totally amazed that such a "cheap" gun could out shoot his beloved Cooper rifle. I believe he was dead serious about it too.

I should have bought one, but at the time was thinking "you'll never see me on a set of skies" - so what's the point?

It would have been fun to have a .22 with that straight pull / toggle action though. Oh well.