Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Winchester to Deliver 200 Million 40-Cal. Rounds to Homeland Security (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/winchester-deliver-200-million-40-cal-rounds-homeland-security-31222/)

Bigcountry02 09-02-2010 12:52 AM

Winchester to Deliver 200 Million 40-Cal. Rounds to Homeland Security

Did not see this is the other sections. Read some of the comments. Article is from 2009. No wonder a bloody shortage for 40 Cal around here.

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Winchester Ammunition was recently awarded a contract by the Immigration, Customs and Enforcement (ICE) division of the Department of Homeland Security to supply a maximum of 200 million, 40 cal. rounds over the next five years.

The load selected for this contract is a 135-grain, hollow point designed for the office of Field Operations of Customs and Border Protection. It will fall under the Winchester Ranger line.

Angry_bald_guy 09-02-2010 01:54 AM

That's MP 5-40 ammo... This can't be good.

gorknoids 09-02-2010 10:13 PM

Considering that if you shoot an illegalista, you go to jail.......... 200 million rounds of ammo for CQB. Hmm.

Dzscubie 09-03-2010 05:49 PM

Actually,

I qualify my officers every 3 months and use approximately 300 rounds per officer per qual. I have over 700 officers here in my port alone. It adds up.

NGIB 09-03-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzscubie (Post 343915)
Actually,

I qualify my officers every 3 months and use approximately 300 rounds per officer per qual. I have over 700 officers here in my port alone. It adds up.

Damn Scubie, it's nice to see you actually require your folks to get trigger time. We have contract security here at Ft Stewart and they qualify on our local range in town. I've seen most of them shoot and it's pretty sad - the safest place to stand while they're shooting is directly in front of them...

Dillinger 09-03-2010 06:04 PM

First things first here - Let's take some of the tinfoil down and do some basic reading comprehension.

First, the order is for UP TO A MAXIMUM of 200 million rounds over (5) Years.

That's not 200 million PER year like some idiot put on the remarks in that link. :mad:

So, that is closer to a MAXIMUM of 40 million per year. Okay, that sounds like a lot of ammo to me. :eek:

Yeah, but according to the infamous Wikipedia, ICE employs 15,000 people. But, let's say a lot of those are just plain old desk jockeys and people processing paychecks and wire taps. Let's say they only have HALF that number as active, door kicking field agents that need to train on a regular basis. Okay?

Scary, but okay....

40,000,000 rounds / 7,500 Operators = 5,333 rounds per shooter.

Holy Sh*t JD, what's wrong with you. Obviously they are arming a death squad!!

5,333 rounds per shooter for the course of ONE YEAR:

5,333/12 = 444.44 rounds per month.

That's about 100 rounds per week and a few left over to rotate your carry stock because I have yet to meet a cop who keeps the same rounds in the mag week after week.

I am PRETTY effing sure NGIB has traded more pistols than that just this year alone. :p

Relax. They are buying in bulk to keep costs down.

JD

orangello 09-03-2010 06:44 PM

Honestly, I'm A-OK with the ICE guys getting all the ammo they could possibly want. Maybe i will start hearing more English spoken at the convenience store. :)

Seriously, after that raid at Howard Industries, ICE is my favorite federal agency.

RDW 09-05-2010 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 343923)
First things first here - Let's take some of the tinfoil down and do some basic reading comprehension.

First, the order is for UP TO A MAXIMUM of 200 million rounds over (5) Years.

That's not 200 million PER year like some idiot put on the remarks in that link. :mad:

So, that is closer to a MAXIMUM of 40 million per year. Okay, that sounds like a lot of ammo to me. :eek:

Yeah, but according to the infamous Wikipedia, ICE employs 15,000 people. But, let's say a lot of those are just plain old desk jockeys and people processing paychecks and wire taps. Let's say they only have HALF that number as active, door kicking field agents that need to train on a regular basis. Okay?

Scary, but okay....

40,000,000 rounds / 7,500 Operators = 5,333 rounds per shooter.

Holy Sh*t JD, what's wrong with you. Obviously they are arming a death squad!!

5,333 rounds per shooter for the course of ONE YEAR:

5,333/12 = 444.44 rounds per month.

That's about 100 rounds per week and a few left over to rotate your carry stock because I have yet to meet a cop who keeps the same rounds in the mag week after week.

I am PRETTY effing sure NGIB has traded more pistols than that just this year alone. :p

Relax. They are buying in bulk to keep costs down.

JD

No Big Deal here - I've constantly shot 1,200 to 13,00 rounds every month for YEARS.