Will I be able to purchase a gun in Kansas?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Will I be able to purchase a gun in Kansas?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Question Will I be able to purchase a gun in Kansas?

First of all hey I'm new okay on to the question.

Basically I'm a 23 year old guy and am interested in buying my first gun, I was wondering if I would be allowed to for the following reason. When I was 16 I was quite the stupid kid and was taking drugs (otc pills), they had believed I was attempting suicide but I was actually doing it for a high and was sent to a psyche ward at a hospital by my parents for evaluation for 2 days and was found to not be mentally ill after explaining it.

I do not know if it is still on my record and if it still matters as it was 7 years ago and I haven't had any run-ins with the law since or anything similar that has happened.

I took a 10 question online pre-test out of curiousity and one of the questions was whether I had stayed in a mental institution so I clicked yes and I was told that I couldn't purchase a gun according to the site, (I think it was ask.com).

I just don't see how something that happened almost a decade ago and lasted 2 days could affect me now but I am unsure. Is anyone an expert with this, if I am unable to hunt with my Father over something like this I am going to be pretty aggravated as we recently moved to the country and were looking forward to hunting on our new land.

Also, I was sent to the actual hospital itself before the psyche ward because they pumped my stomach and a cop was watching me the entire time, that's as much as I can remember from the event.

Last edited by Travalanche; 10-17-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Interesting question, but more for an attorney to decipher if your youthful visit was an "involuntary commital". IOW, i am not a lawyer, but i would suggest you consult one about this important of a matter.

I was thinking that it was only if the courts had you committed that you would be a "prohibited person".

read this: http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-15.pdf page 6

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 10-17-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8688 Times on 3761 Posts
Likes Given: 1336

Not an attorney- am a gun collector. The question on the form 4473 has to do with being "adjudged mentally incompetent". That generally means that there is a formal hearing where is person is judged (by a judge or government appointed panel of doctors) to be mentally incompetent, and/or committed against their will for treatment of a mental illness, or ordered to undergo treatment.

It does not refer to a person that is hospitalized for an evaluation, nor to a person that seeks medical assistance, counseling, etc of their own choice.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 10-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I don't see why you couldn't own one. If you were not found mentally ill, you should be good to go. Asking an attorney that has dealt with gun laws before may be a good idea though.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Just to be sure of your mental health: Did you vote for Obama?

j/k

People Like This 
Old 10-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'm pretty sure it wasn't a court order and it wasn't a legal issue, it was because of my school, they had me do the evaluation after I was found on drugs now that I think about it.

It seems I wasn't "committed" or anything so I should actually be fine, I will check with an attorney in the near future as well.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Just to be sure of your mental health: Did you vote for Obama?

j/k
Nope, I really don't care for either candidate to be honest.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travalanche View Post
Nope, I really don't care for either candidate to be honest.
Many people agree with you on that. Sounds competent to me.

People Like This 
Old 10-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

In Texas the normal route such things take is called an OPC, or Order of Protective Custody if handled in a hospital setting. A POEC is a Peace Officer's Emergency Commitment. Neither are an adjudication of insanity or mental disease. They are merely a legal mechanism to get someone into a mental health facility to be evaluated by doctors as to their danger to themselves or others. Generally 48 hours of involuntary confinement for evaluation. Most people are helped through their crisis, given medication and/or referrals to counselors.

Such a temporary commitment does NOT preculde one from future firearms ownership.

Remember though, the advise you get for free on the internet is probably worth every penny you paid for it. Consult with a competent attorney well versed in Mental Health laws and Firearms laws for a difinitive answer.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

c3shooter Likes This 
Old 10-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Okay, I have talked to some people I know about this as well since posting and they all don't see why I couldn't buy one.

I only have $300 saved up currently so I am still a ways off from being able to afford one but in the next paycheck or two I'll go ahead and try but if they don't let me I will then get a lawyer involved.