Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Legal and Activism (
-   -   Will I be able to purchase a gun in Kansas? (

Travalanche 10-17-2012 09:26 PM

Will I be able to purchase a gun in Kansas?
First of all hey I'm new :D okay on to the question.

Basically I'm a 23 year old guy and am interested in buying my first gun, I was wondering if I would be allowed to for the following reason. When I was 16 I was quite the stupid kid and was taking drugs (otc pills), they had believed I was attempting suicide but I was actually doing it for a high and was sent to a psyche ward at a hospital by my parents for evaluation for 2 days and was found to not be mentally ill after explaining it.

I do not know if it is still on my record and if it still matters as it was 7 years ago and I haven't had any run-ins with the law since or anything similar that has happened.

I took a 10 question online pre-test out of curiousity and one of the questions was whether I had stayed in a mental institution so I clicked yes and I was told that I couldn't purchase a gun according to the site, (I think it was

I just don't see how something that happened almost a decade ago and lasted 2 days could affect me now but I am unsure. Is anyone an expert with this, if I am unable to hunt with my Father over something like this I am going to be pretty aggravated as we recently moved to the country and were looking forward to hunting on our new land.

Also, I was sent to the actual hospital itself before the psyche ward because they pumped my stomach and a cop was watching me the entire time, that's as much as I can remember from the event.

orangello 10-17-2012 09:30 PM

Interesting question, but more for an attorney to decipher if your youthful visit was an "involuntary commital". IOW, i am not a lawyer, but i would suggest you consult one about this important of a matter.

I was thinking that it was only if the courts had you committed that you would be a "prohibited person".

read this: page 6

c3shooter 10-17-2012 09:54 PM

Not an attorney- am a gun collector. The question on the form 4473 has to do with being "adjudged mentally incompetent". That generally means that there is a formal hearing where is person is judged (by a judge or government appointed panel of doctors) to be mentally incompetent, and/or committed against their will for treatment of a mental illness, or ordered to undergo treatment.

It does not refer to a person that is hospitalized for an evaluation, nor to a person that seeks medical assistance, counseling, etc of their own choice.

texaswoodworker 10-17-2012 10:11 PM

I don't see why you couldn't own one. If you were not found mentally ill, you should be good to go. Asking an attorney that has dealt with gun laws before may be a good idea though.

orangello 10-17-2012 10:28 PM

Just to be sure of your mental health: Did you vote for Obama?

j/k ;)

Travalanche 10-17-2012 10:29 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'm pretty sure it wasn't a court order and it wasn't a legal issue, it was because of my school, they had me do the evaluation after I was found on drugs now that I think about it.

It seems I wasn't "committed" or anything so I should actually be fine, I will check with an attorney in the near future as well.

Travalanche 10-17-2012 10:30 PM


Originally Posted by orangello (Post 980670)
Just to be sure of your mental health: Did you vote for Obama?

j/k ;)

Nope, I really don't care for either candidate to be honest.

orangello 10-17-2012 10:32 PM


Originally Posted by Travalanche (Post 980673)
Nope, I really don't care for either candidate to be honest.

Many people agree with you on that. Sounds competent to me. :D

robocop10mm 10-18-2012 03:47 PM

In Texas the normal route such things take is called an OPC, or Order of Protective Custody if handled in a hospital setting. A POEC is a Peace Officer's Emergency Commitment. Neither are an adjudication of insanity or mental disease. They are merely a legal mechanism to get someone into a mental health facility to be evaluated by doctors as to their danger to themselves or others. Generally 48 hours of involuntary confinement for evaluation. Most people are helped through their crisis, given medication and/or referrals to counselors.

Such a temporary commitment does NOT preculde one from future firearms ownership.

Remember though, the advise you get for free on the internet is probably worth every penny you paid for it. Consult with a competent attorney well versed in Mental Health laws and Firearms laws for a difinitive answer.

Travalanche 10-20-2012 03:34 PM

Okay, I have talked to some people I know about this as well since posting and they all don't see why I couldn't buy one.

I only have $300 saved up currently so I am still a ways off from being able to afford one but in the next paycheck or two I'll go ahead and try but if they don't let me I will then get a lawyer involved.

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:53 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.