Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Why are the small percentage of bad LEO's allowed to continue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 128 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Handle it yourself, then call the coroner.
Or a pig farmer

Old 01-19-2012, 02:34 AM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
We've heard from LEO's that are tired of being bashed, but why are the very small percentage that give the rest a bad name allowed to continue?

This really came to a head in my pea brain yesterday, when someone shared a story of being threatened by a police sgt, that if he did a perfectly legal open carry (MI), he would arrest him on the spot, because no citizen should be allowed to carry a firearm. OC is legal in MI, as is CC (when licensed). I have no reason to not believe the information he shared with me, but it is 3rd hand info.

My underage daughter attended a HUGE party where the mostly teens were mostly drunk. She said the police had shown up twice. I know the chief and asked him why this party wasn't shut down and the home owners given a ticket. He actually called the officers on duty that night (small town) into his office, and they said there was no party, they was no record of anything happening at the house. The best part, I was indirectly sent a message from the homeowner to stay out of his business, because he was friends with the right people.

I'm really not interested in bashing many of the fine LEO's that put their life on the line each and every day, but question why the small percentage aren't encouraged to find another line of work?
Someone may have already said much the same thing I am now about to, but I don't have time to read through 3 pages to find out, so here goes...

While the law enforcement and military are both selective services in that one does not have a constitutional right to be hired and trained in LE or the military and every applicant/volunteer is put through a fairly good background check (which is much more intense for most LE agencies than the military, i.e. unless things have changed drastically since I enlisted in the US Army in 1982 the military doesn't have polygraph or psychological testing like most police agencies do). Neighbors are interviewed by many agencies as they are for security clearances in the military.

In spite of all of that there are a small minority who slip though the screening process or over time become corrupted by letting the power go to their heads. I would suggest that, if legal in your state (like it is in Alabama) to record or video contact with badge heavy officers like the sergeant your friend told you he had contact with. Make copies and send one to the agency's IA and chief or sheriff, mayor or county commissioners and media outlets. I must stress to check and double check your state and local laws governing secretly recording or videoing another person.

In regards to your daughter and the open house party she attended, there are some officers who are unworthy of the public trust who will turn a blind eye to such things. Sometimes, if not often it's because some, if not most of the attendees are kids belonging on the football (or favorite sport) team, cheer squad, kids of prominent business owners, etc. held at houses of people who have "friends in high places", as in the case with your daughter. Without additional evidence, i.e. youtube videos, widespread talk at school afterward, etc. most chiefs will take their officer's word for things.

I have seen some officers hang themselves in this way before, and can only say,"Good riddance, don't let the door hit you on the way out." If there's one thing I know is that kids love to talk and think nothing of posting criminal acts on youtube (like the video that went viral of the drunk moron Bama fan tea bagging the passed out drunk LSU fan).

That's my observations over the last 20 years in LE.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #23

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Because they have a powerful union.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:47 AM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 37

LEOs don't have a union in Alabama or elsewhere in the Southeast I'm aware of. I know the FOP is a powerful union up north, but down south it's just a fraternal organization that we can get legal defense insurance from for $50 a year (and a accidental death policy as part of our yearly membership that pays double ($50K) if we're killed on duty).