Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Why are the small percentage of bad LEO's allowed to continue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 767 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default Why are the small percentage of bad LEO's allowed to continue

We've heard from LEO's that are tired of being bashed, but why are the very small percentage that give the rest a bad name allowed to continue?

This really came to a head in my pea brain yesterday, when someone shared a story of being threatened by a police sgt, that if he did a perfectly legal open carry (MI), he would arrest him on the spot, because no citizen should be allowed to carry a firearm. OC is legal in MI, as is CC (when licensed). I have no reason to not believe the information he shared with me, but it is 3rd hand info.

My underage daughter attended a HUGE party where the mostly teens were mostly drunk. She said the police had shown up twice. I know the chief and asked him why this party wasn't shut down and the home owners given a ticket. He actually called the officers on duty that night (small town) into his office, and they said there was no party, they was no record of anything happening at the house. The best part, I was indirectly sent a message from the homeowner to stay out of his business, because he was friends with the right people.

I'm really not interested in bashing many of the fine LEO's that put their life on the line each and every day, but question why the small percentage aren't encouraged to find another line of work?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #2

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I think when authority figures like cops, day care workers, retirement home workers, and government officials (this is by no means a complete list) abuse their authority and cause harm to an individual, they should be hung in public.

And for the record, I have a stronger dislike for people who abuse children and elderly, than I do for power tripping officers.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Why do they continue working once they are proved corrupt or otherwise incompetent?

1. The powers that be are too lazy and/or scared to make the effort to fire them.
2. Someone is covering for them. Could be union, could be corporations, could be politicians.
3. The powers that be are corrupt, too.

More and more, it seems that law enforcement may not come down on your side no matter what the law says. LEOs have to figure which way they want to go on this. Will they stick to the rule of law, or will they go where their masters tell them to go?

Old 01-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

I tend to agree that the unions are mostly behind it. I also tend to believe that many hardworking, honest officers are just as fed up with the aholes that tarnish their image as we are but are just as powerless to get rid of them.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-16-2012, 01:31 AM   #5

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 240

I hate it when I hear about this sort of corruption. And when its high up as the Sergent (or higher), there's not much you can do about it.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 01-16-2012, 02:25 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8421 Times on 3651 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Old saying- a community gets the police dept it deserves.

And vice versa.

I am fortunate- live in a rural area, good Sheriff's Dept. If it was not, would send Sheriff packing at the next election.

If you have a problem with your PD, the head reports to SOMEONE that is elected. Find out who, and fire his azz. Next election.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 01-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #7

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

As long as we are human there will be problems - - - I feel we are made aware of them more now and I feel many of the old problems that prevailed for decades are not as prevelant.

I still have hope for our legal system in the United States ( and much of the world) but it will take a trip to heaven to have everything right and while I'm ready at any time I also selfish enough to want to spend more time here with my grand kids!

Old 01-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19982 Times on 11360 Posts
Likes Given: 50403

there are always bad apples in every bunch. problem is, that we tend to here about the bad behaviour more than the good sometimes. these are the stories that grab attention, everyones attention. corruption has existed for as long as man has been on earth. there are always those who will abuse their power and seek an easy way to make money, at the behest of others.

IMO, those caught abusing their power need to be held accountable for their actions, and prosecuted at the severest level of punishment. departments and prosecutors need to send a message, that this behaviour will not be tolerated in any form and those caught will be convicted to the full extent of the law. if the powers to be won't or can't enforce this type of action, then they need to be replaced with those who will. if the common criminal is to convicted for breaking the law, and they should be, so should the person who represents and supposedly enforces the the law who breaks it too. anytime someone who wears a badge is fired for abusing his power or breaks the laws he is suppose to enforce, he should be at the very least stripped of any right to ever have a job in law enforcement.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2601 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
We've heard from LEO's that are tired of being bashed, but why are the very small percentage that give the rest a bad name allowed to continue?

This really came to a head in my pea brain yesterday, when someone shared a story of being threatened by a police sgt, that if he did a perfectly legal open carry (MI), he would arrest him on the spot, because no citizen should be allowed to carry a firearm. OC is legal in MI, as is CC (when licensed). I have no reason to not believe the information he shared with me, but it is 3rd hand info.

My underage daughter attended a HUGE party where the mostly teens were mostly drunk. She said the police had shown up twice. I know the chief and asked him why this party wasn't shut down and the home owners given a ticket. He actually called the officers on duty that night (small town) into his office, and they said there was no party, they was no record of anything happening at the house. The best part, I was indirectly sent a message from the homeowner to stay out of his business, because he was friends with the right people.

I'm really not interested in bashing many of the fine LEO's that put their life on the line each and every day, but question why the small percentage aren't encouraged to find another line of work?
OK, I think your examples are a far cry from "bad". The first one is a douche with a different opinion about guns. He is certainly a douche and needs to be retrained and properly supervised. The second is small town politics that has very little to do with LE or "bad" officers. It is a fact of life in every subset of every small town in America from trash collection to permitting to policing. Money and connections talk.

I thought you were going to discuss "bad" officers. Ones that rape arrestee,beat minorities, steal money, perjure themselves. etc. I am disgusted at the number of cases like these are simply kicked down the road to some other agency to deal with. There are some real criminals wearing uniforms that should be in jail, not licensed to be Peace Officers. In my 27 years in the business, I have only seen a small handful prosecuted for their misdeeds. I know of dozens that are allowed to resign and go to workl with other agencies. When they show up at a scene I am at, they are asked to leave.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1737 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 547

I remember a small town in CA a long time ago that was totally corrupt. The police chief recruited officers that had been fired from other agencies. It was a speed trap and the officers were on commission. The chief drove a Rolls Royce. The town had card rooms and the cops would arrest, beat and roll the big winners. How did they know? The mayor and town officials owned the card rooms. They rolled and beat the wrong guy one time. A number of the local cops were found almost beaten to death and it was done by professionals.
This was an exception but it did happen and could happen again. Almost all of the police I known have been decent family men. The only time I have had a bad experience with the police was when I was hit in a cross walk by a hit and run driver. The cop that arrived on the scene wanted to drag me off the street. I had to tell him I was not moving until the ambulance moved me as I knew I was hurt. They had a description of the vehicle with 4 numbers of the plate and would not do anything. I was not a resident. DMV wanted $4k to run the series which the police could have done for free.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."