Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > why are sawed off shotguns illegal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post

Nine times out of ten, the arguments legislators present to ban this or that is based entirely on emotion and not fact.
Hey! Barrel Shrouds, "those shoulder things that go up", CLEARLY present a menace and need to be stamped out!

Rep Carolyn McCarthy ladies and gentlemen...

Old 06-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #12
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Hey! Barrel Shrouds, "those shoulder things that go up", CLEARLY present a menace and need to be stamped out!

Rep Carolyn McCarthy ladies and gentlemen...
Yeah, exactly. And it gets worse in NYS, but that's my problem. The thing is, many laws at the Federal level are contrived by folks no brighter than Ms. McCarthy.

(JD...you got any legislators you want to trade?)

Old 06-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #13

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaGator View Post
I remeber reading about a LEO who carried a sawed off double barell 10 gauge shotgun it was said that he never had to fire it in anger.
That was my Grandad!!! Actually he was a former county marshall and it was a 12 gauge. He was a soft spoken man, and the joke at his funeral was that he never had to say much cause he carried the sawed off on his belt.

As far as the legality, don't get it. I can conceal all 3 of my pistols in jeans and a t-shirt. Can't do that with a sawed off.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:06 AM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:

You can have my Governor, Chris Gregoire. She has run our state into the ground and we now have a monumental deficit that will likely result in an increase to income tax.

Or you can have Maria Cant(vote)well. She is a real winner. I am pretty sure she may have a worse voting record than our POTUS.

The real kick in the balls, much like you have there, is that there are only about 3 counties that vote for their ilk. The rest of the counties are wide spread RED, but no where near the voters of, say, King County.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:28 AM   #15

During the original Supreme Court case in the early 1930's, the plaintiff (Miller vs US) had already died, and his lawyer failed to show up before the court. Their arguement WOULD have been that a sawed off shotgun was instrumental in trench warfare of WW1, and therefore was a militia weapon, but without anyone to argue the case.........

Last edited by SHAMUSPI; 06-04-2010 at 03:30 AM.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:57 AM   #16

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
The US Attorney at the time, some guy named Homer something or other...

JD
Think his name was Homer Secksuel...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-04-2010, 04:01 AM   #17

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Yeah, exactly. And it gets worse in NYS, but that's my problem. The thing is, many laws at the Federal level are contrived by folks no brighter than Ms. McCarthy.

Nothing is as dumb as the Jersey legislature banning so-called "cop killer" hollow points for carry due to their "armor piercing capability."

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-04-2010, 04:14 AM   #18

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Nothing is as dumb as the Jersey legislature banning so-called "cop killer" hollow points for carry due to their "armor piercing capability."
wut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Think his name was Homer Secksuel...
*tsk tsk*

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 06-04-2010, 04:25 AM   #19

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

A favorite weapon of the old school Italian mafia types was a double barreled sawed off shotty called a lupar (I believe). During prohibition, the fight became more about the US Treasury versus what they thought was the illegal alcohol big guys. That was the organized crime groups, and the biggest was seen as the Italian Mob. They went after many things, but one that stuck was their choice of weapons.

But, yes, shortened long guns are regulated. With some extra time and money, you can have one that is regarded as legal.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 06-04-2010, 04:53 AM   #20

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
You can have my Governor, Chris Gregoire. She has run our state into the ground and we now have a monumental deficit that will likely result in an increase to income tax.

Or you can have Maria Cant(vote)well. She is a real winner. I am pretty sure she may have a worse voting record than our POTUS.

The real kick in the balls, much like you have there, is that there are only about 3 counties that vote for their ilk. The rest of the counties are wide spread RED, but no where near the voters of, say, King County.
She is almost as big a douche nozzle as Oregon's fine leader, excuse me blind follower.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.