Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Why is the Ruger LCP banned in Calif?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 02:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Why is the Ruger LCP banned in Calif?

Seems the Ruger LCP .380 is banned in Calif. But is it just banned from dealer sales?, or is it banned from ownership period

Can a Calif resident own one if, for example, they acquired the gun through an estate will or trust? What if I own one here in Arizona, then move to Calif?

And can anyone explain what makes that model of gun a no-no in the land of Calif anyway?

Thanks for any info/clarification...

Rufus

Last edited by RufusTFirefly; 11-03-2011 at 02:15 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2011, 02:17 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The LCP isn't banned, however it is only available to law enforcement. The same with the Sig P238.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-03-2011, 02:44 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
The LCP isn't banned, however it is only available to law enforcement.
Okay...but why?

Old 11-03-2011, 02:49 AM   #4

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Why can't you have mags larger than 10 rounds in cali? I think the answer to this question is likely the same.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 11-03-2011, 02:52 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7571 Times on 3298 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

My understanding is that a maker must submit the SPECIFIC model gun to CA Dept of Justice for "safety" testing, and receive an approval for it to be sold at retail in CA. When I say SPECIFIC, I mean THAT barrel length, THAT finish, etc etc etc. If not approved by CA DOJ, no sales. Think you CAN bring a gun into the state, but you need to check with CA DOJ.

Me, would move to Costa Rica and live on the beach before moving there. And I will be in San Diego for a week in mid November.

(No insult to Californians- my sister was one- I'm just allergic to your politicians)

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 11-03-2011, 03:00 AM   #6

It has no magazine disconnector safety, and therefore is not approved for sale.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:03 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

You want to hear something weird? If an LEO wants to sell his LCP, I can then buy it in a private sale/person to person transfer. Amazing, huh?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-03-2011, 03:07 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So...could I buy one here in AZ, and then do a private party sale/transfer it to a Calif resident?

Last edited by RufusTFirefly; 11-03-2011 at 03:10 AM.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:08 AM   #9

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
My understanding is that a maker must submit the SPECIFIC model gun to CA Dept of Justice for "safety" testing, and receive an approval for it to be sold at retail in CA. When I say SPECIFIC, I mean THAT barrel length, THAT finish, etc etc etc. If not approved by CA DOJ, no sales. Think you CAN bring a gun into the state, but you need to check with CA DOJ.

Me, would move to Costa Rica and live on the beach before moving there. And I will be in San Diego for a week in mid November.

(No insult to Californians- my sister was one- I'm just allergic to your politicians)
Hey now, if you need a beer, San Diego's only a hundred something away.
OP. They nailed it, the LCP can not be sold new to a citizen from a dealer, however if you have a PD friend that decides to sell one to you used, you can do a private sale.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 11-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2262 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttolhurst View Post
It has no magazine disconnector safety, and therefore is not approved for sale.
???? Are Glocks sold in Cali? Sigs, Rugers, XD's? None of these have mag disconnectors. Perhaps it is the size and no disconnector? Yet another reason I would rather saw my own foot off with a hacksaw than move to Cali.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This