Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Why is the Ruger LCP banned in Calif? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/why-ruger-lcp-banned-calif-51082/)

RufusTFirefly 11-03-2011 03:13 AM

Why is the Ruger LCP banned in Calif?

Seems the Ruger LCP .380 is banned in Calif. But is it just banned from dealer sales?, or is it banned from ownership period

Can a Calif resident own one if, for example, they acquired the gun through an estate will or trust? What if I own one here in Arizona, then move to Calif?

And can anyone explain what makes that model of gun a no-no in the land of Calif anyway?

Thanks for any info/clarification...

Rufus

CA357 11-03-2011 03:17 AM

The LCP isn't banned, however it is only available to law enforcement. The same with the Sig P238.

RufusTFirefly 11-03-2011 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 618188)
The LCP isn't banned, however it is only available to law enforcement.

Okay...but why?

tCan 11-03-2011 03:49 AM

Why can't you have mags larger than 10 rounds in cali? I think the answer to this question is likely the same.

c3shooter 11-03-2011 03:52 AM

My understanding is that a maker must submit the SPECIFIC model gun to CA Dept of Justice for "safety" testing, and receive an approval for it to be sold at retail in CA. When I say SPECIFIC, I mean THAT barrel length, THAT finish, etc etc etc. If not approved by CA DOJ, no sales. Think you CAN bring a gun into the state, but you need to check with CA DOJ.

Me, would move to Costa Rica and live on the beach before moving there. And I will be in San Diego for a week in mid November.

(No insult to Californians- my sister was one- I'm just allergic to your politicians)

ttolhurst 11-03-2011 04:00 AM

It has no magazine disconnector safety, and therefore is not approved for sale.

CA357 11-03-2011 04:03 AM

You want to hear something weird? If an LEO wants to sell his LCP, I can then buy it in a private sale/person to person transfer. Amazing, huh?

RufusTFirefly 11-03-2011 04:07 AM

So...could I buy one here in AZ, and then do a private party sale/transfer it to a Calif resident?

pagj17 11-03-2011 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
My understanding is that a maker must submit the SPECIFIC model gun to CA Dept of Justice for "safety" testing, and receive an approval for it to be sold at retail in CA. When I say SPECIFIC, I mean THAT barrel length, THAT finish, etc etc etc. If not approved by CA DOJ, no sales. Think you CAN bring a gun into the state, but you need to check with CA DOJ.

Me, would move to Costa Rica and live on the beach before moving there. And I will be in San Diego for a week in mid November.

(No insult to Californians- my sister was one- I'm just allergic to your politicians)

Hey now, if you need a beer, San Diego's only a hundred something away.
OP. They nailed it, the LCP can not be sold new to a citizen from a dealer, however if you have a PD friend that decides to sell one to you used, you can do a private sale.

robocop10mm 11-03-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttolhurst (Post 618227)
It has no magazine disconnector safety, and therefore is not approved for sale.

???? Are Glocks sold in Cali? Sigs, Rugers, XD's? None of these have mag disconnectors. Perhaps it is the size and no disconnector? Yet another reason I would rather saw my own foot off with a hacksaw than move to Cali.