Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Why I live in Tennessee (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/why-i-live-tennessee-91965/)

Sniper03 06-08-2013 02:04 PM

Why I live in Tennessee

God Bless Tennessee and other states that still represent the Constitutional Rights of the people.
This is an article I came across today. Has a lot of good information you might be interested in.

Tennessee is a shall-issue state, meaning authorities are required by law to issue carry permits to all qualified applicants. Qualified applicants in Tennessee must be at least 21 years of age and successfully complete a handgun safety course.

Persons who are barred from receiving handgun carry permits in Tennessee include anyone who has been convicted of a felony, illegal aliens, anyone who suffers from debilitating mental illness, anyone who has been convicted of crimes of domestic violence, anyone who has been convicted of DUI within five years, or two or more DUI penalties within 10 years, anyone who is addicted to drugs or who has undergone rehabilitation for drugs or alcohol abuse within the past 10 years, fugitives from justice and anyone who is under an order of protection.

Application for carry permits in Tennessee is made through the Department of Safety. Permits are issued within 90 days and are valid for four years at a cost of $115.

Tennessee’s carry permits are honored by the following states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia and Wyoming.

Tennessee honors permits from the states of Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wyoming.

Castle Doctrine

Tennessee has a self-defense law based on the castle doctrine. Enacted in 2007, the law does not require a duty to retreat. It extends the right for persons to defend themselves from attacks by using physical or deadly force in any place they have a legal right to be. The law provides civil immunity for persons using physical or deadly force to protect themselves from an attacker.

Pro-Gun Provisions

While open carry is prohibited for anyone who doesn't have a carry permit, having a permit enables persons to transport long guns — rifles or shotguns — in their vehicles. The firearms can be loaded, but cannot have a shell in the chamber.

Tennessee has a state firearms preemption law that prevents cities or counties from enacting gun laws that are more restrictive than state law. The state also has a range protection law that extends protection to gun firing ranges.

Restrictions

•Gun bans: None.
•Waiting period for gun purchases: None.
•Licenses or permits required to purchase guns: None.
•Registration of guns required? No.

hockeyjr1 06-08-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03
God Bless Tennessee and other states that still represent the Constitutional Rights of the people.
This is an article I came across today. Has a lot of good information you might be interested in.

Tennessee is a shall-issue state, meaning authorities are required by law to issue carry permits to all qualified applicants. Qualified applicants in Tennessee must be at least 21 years of age and successfully complete a handgun safety course.

Persons who are barred from receiving handgun carry permits in Tennessee include anyone who has been convicted of a felony, illegal aliens, anyone who suffers from debilitating mental illness, anyone who has been convicted of crimes of domestic violence, anyone who has been convicted of DUI within five years, or two or more DUI penalties within 10 years, anyone who is addicted to drugs or who has undergone rehabilitation for drugs or alcohol abuse within the past 10 years, fugitives from justice and anyone who is under an order of protection.

Application for carry permits in Tennessee is made through the Department of Safety. Permits are issued within 90 days and are valid for four years at a cost of $115.

Tennessee’s carry permits are honored by the following states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia and Wyoming.

Tennessee honors permits from the states of Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wyoming.

Castle Doctrine

Tennessee has a self-defense law based on the castle doctrine. Enacted in 2007, the law does not require a duty to retreat. It extends the right for persons to defend themselves from attacks by using physical or deadly force in any place they have a legal right to be. The law provides civil immunity for persons using physical or deadly force to protect themselves from an attacker.

Pro-Gun Provisions

While open carry is prohibited for anyone who doesn't have a carry permit, having a permit enables persons to transport long guns — rifles or shotguns — in their vehicles. The firearms can be loaded, but cannot have a shell in the chamber.

Tennessee has a state firearms preemption law that prevents cities or counties from enacting gun laws that are more restrictive than state law. The state also has a range protection law that extends protection to gun firing ranges.

Restrictions

For the most part sounds just like florida!!! That's why I plan on leaving NY for The gunshine state by 2015!!!

HockaLouis 06-08-2013 03:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Go Tennessee!

sputnik1988 06-08-2013 03:59 PM

Sounds almost exactly like Kentuckys laws. But our GFZs don't hold the weight of the law.

Dearhunter 06-08-2013 04:01 PM

Per Tennessee law would mean nobody in congress could get a permit to carry!!

tomgodd 06-08-2013 08:38 PM

It's still a shame a law abiding citizen has to ask state permission to practice the second amendment. JMHO!

I had to ask my state to do this aswell. Atleast legally...

I am happy your state honors and respects its citizens much like my state.

Warrior1256 06-08-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03 (Post 1270964)

Castle Doctrine

Pro-Gun Provisions

Restrictions

Please add the great state of Kentucky to your list of liberty loving states.

triggerjob 06-09-2013 01:28 AM

AZ too, no permit needed fr open or concealed carry, everything is legal. I think AZ is an "instacheck" state but I'm not positive on that one.

AZ has a CCW, but its mainly for reciprocity with other states.

hockeyjr1 06-09-2013 01:54 AM

I don't think any state can compete with Vermont!! They practically had guns out there!!

sbeezy 06-09-2013 02:19 AM

I wonder what the gun violence stats are in these states compared to states like California, Connecticut, and New York. Does anyone know?