Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Why Aren't We Interdicting Drug Money ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 01:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Default Why Aren't We Interdicting Drug Money ?

We've been brought to the brink of war with Mexico and civil unrest over abusive government tactics against its own people threatens to boil over into outright rebellion inside our own borders. All of this leads me to ask, "Why aren't we "following the money" ? Rather than all the monkey shines over "interdicting guns" why aren't we "interdicting" drug money" ?

Yes, there's a lot of drugs being smuggled into the U.S. by a variety of methods. But drugs are low-volume products. Money/cash/lucre OTOH is "high volume". IOW, if a pickup tire stuffed with cocaine makes it in there has to be several much larger truck tires' full of cash going out, or the cartels are out of business. So how are the cartels getting their profits out of the country ?

Are we willing to accept our government, (which has found and prosecuted cases involving the hiding of a few tens of thousands of dollars ) can't track millions of dollars being shipped south ? Why can't we starve the cartels ? I can't believe its because we lack the technology. And I can't believe its because we lack the LE "tools". We've "given" (willing or no), our government access to every aspect of our lives from medical records to financial transactions to our most private thoughts/amusements. So why can't we track drug money going to the cartels ?

Yeah, I can name a dozen reasons "why not" offhand. But perhaps its past time Americans - and gun owners in particular - demanded a "quid pro quo" from our government. I.e. that every new gun restriction be counterbalanced with an equal restriction on the "money" river. That every gun prosecution be counterbalanced with a prosecution for "drug money trafficking".

What say y'all ? >MW

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-04-2011, 01:46 AM   #2

Liked 1033 Times on 611 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Do you really want the federal government going into more of your financial transactions? The cartels are getting their money by laundering it, as well as physically transporting it. But what your suggesting would give the feds a reason to monitor more and more private transactions, electronically and cash.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 08-04-2011, 02:59 AM   #3

They won't follow the money cause it leads back here...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 08-04-2011, 03:31 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

They already follow our financial transactions. I've known a couple guys, they get more than $400 in an account it gets seized for back child support. Deposit 10 grand in cash, see what happens.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:02 AM   #5

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

maybe they are catching some of the money. Maybe its finders-keepers. maybe they need money sniffing dogs?

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:33 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have no doubt that some of the cartel money is going south electronically, but i seriously doubt it is the majority of the cash flow.

Perrsonally, i wouldn't have a huge problem with the federalis monitoring every transaction that takes cash out of this country, especially those headed to the Caribbean or mexico. There are probably billions of ILLEGALLY aquired dollars being sent south by the millions of illegal aliens from their stolen jobs to their semi-abandoned families; each and every dollar they send home should be confiscated, whether it be by western union or postal money order (a bit harder to get).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:42 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2598 Times on 1366 Posts
Likes Given: 200

The simple answer is ...We already are. Interdiction officers stop both north an d south bound traffic. Millions are siezed each year. That is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of cash that gets across the border, just like the amount of drugs we catch is a fraction of what comes in.

FBI, DEA, Secret Service and ATF investigate all kiinds of financial transactions. The question is, what happens to the money. They could balance the budget with all that south bound cash.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

It would be nice if the feds could do at least as good a job on the Cartels as they seem to do on private citizens. I know when you have mail sacks of cash you have lots to friends where it counts. >MW

Old 08-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce View Post
How astute! I couldn't have said it any better.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default absolutely right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce View Post
you're right!

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
Vietnam Vet 1968 MCB 53 Danang