Why 33 rounds makes sense in a defensive weapon

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Why 33 rounds makes sense in a defensive weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Why 33 rounds makes sense in a defensive weapon

A little article featured in the Washington Post, written by Stephen Hunter. It brings up alot of good points on high capacity magazines.

Definitely something you should spend five minutes reading, I wish our President would.

Stephen Hunter - Why 33 rounds makes sense in a defensive weapon

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

It's an interesting take on the situation, and one of the more positive and historically accurate ones written.

I will reserve comment on whether it "makes sense" in a defensive situation for The Bunker.

JD

Old 02-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I agree with his points in reference to self defense in a residential setting, however that capacity in CCW is impractical if not ridiculous. Now I am speaking of capacity not count. A 15 round mag with a spare is one thing, but one 30 mag is once again impractical.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
I agree with his points in reference to self defense in a residential setting, however that capacity in CCW is impractical if not ridiculous. Now I am speaking of capacity not count. A 15 round mag with a spare is one thing, but one 30 mag is once again impractical.

Stephen discusses it in the article.

Quote:
In fact, the extended magazine actually vitiates the pistol's usefulness as a weapon for most needs, legitimate or illegitimate. The magazine destroys the pistol's essence; it is no longer concealable. Loughner allegedly wrapped the clumsy package in a coat for a short distance, but he could not have worn it in a belt or concealed it for an extended period. It had really ceased to be a pistol.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5745 Times on 3001 Posts
Likes Given: 380

carry a 15 round mag in the gun easier to lug the 30 rounder in a pocket. its vable for ccw.

my belief is pistol mags beyound 15 are not reliable enough to stake your life on. according to the media print laughner's 33 rounder failed on him. in fact laughner would have killed and injured far far more people if his 33 round mags hadnt failed or he had of been limited to 10 round mags.

laughners choice of a interweb-mall-ninja gun setup probably saved quite a few people.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...