Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > A whole lotta guns..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default A whole lotta guns..

If your on this site you probably agree that the right to bare arms is a good thing and the founding fathers were correct to insure that right in the constitution. I believe this right is a good thing but for kicks lets stop and think how unique this in the world.

I'm new to the sport, and the whole firearm thing in general. At my first gun show this weekend I was blown away by just what is out there for sale and how easy it is to acquire. As a browsed the tables of AK's and AR-15's it dawned on me how we are the most heavily armed nation in the history of man and our citizenry is an army onto itself.

I think it is a good thing, our unique place in the world, but where is this right going? Why do we have all these guns? What are you collecting yours for?

This is one of the last truly American traditions and I want to know what it is all about for you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Recreation, and the possible (however unlikely) event there is a direct threat to our liberty and safety as individual citizens. It's less about directly engaging the Marines or an invading army and more about being able to protect my family and property in the event things fall apart.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:33 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I buy them to shoot them, he who dies with the most toys wins

Old 08-12-2008, 11:03 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

We are definitely in the running for most heavily armed - however I have spent some time overseas and there are a couple of places that I would not want to live BECAUSE of how well the "populace" is equipped. I don't need to do battle with a 13 year old over the last cold Coke in the fridge, you know?

I believe in the Second, but even if it wasn't there, I more firmly believe in my own willingness, and ability, to protect what is mine as opposed to relying on someone else to do it.

JD

Old 08-13-2008, 01:04 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy130 View Post
I think it is a good thing, our unique place in the world, but where is this right going? Why do we have all these guns? What are you collecting yours for?

This is one of the last truly American traditions and I want to know what it is all about for you.
Guns are like potato chips, or a good plate of barbeque, or a woman: you just can't stop at one!!!

Hopefully the right is heading towards universal acceptance of the true meaning of the Second: to protect ourselves and our political system from subversion by elements inside the government and attack from outside the country.

Why are there so many? Different needs. Different answers to the same question.

Why do I have what I have? Different needs. Different answers to the same question....

9x18=Makarov

Old 08-13-2008, 06:48 PM   #6

Smile What's it all about for me?

How about Hurricane Katrina? Or on of the many others, Andrew, Rita, Ivan.... The list goes on. Any time there is a natural disaster there's a reason. The police will be too busy to answer all the calls all the time. So who else is going to protect you & yours? (family & property) I am a fire fighter in south MS & let me tell you ALL the emergency services were over run with call for help. There were people coming into town from out of state just to loot! Those first few days after the storm, searching for missing people through the debris, taking care of the injured, police trying to control crime, traffic, & keep order. You were by yourself. Unless you were in cardiac arrest, drive yourself to the hospital. If you were getting shot at they would be there. But by the time they get there it could be too late. Would you want to take that chance? Not me.

Don't forget New Orleans... A sherriff over there confiscated firearms over there & the law abiding COULDN'T protect themselves. Their looting was a lot worse than over here! That's reason enough for me right there!

remember: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
Criminals don't get their guns legally, either.

So that's what it's all about for me.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #7

-firehammer

You touch on a something that was a big factor in my getting into firearms. Katrina and many other events like it made me see how much we are on our own if the stuff hits the fan. I like the sporting aspects of it and find target shooting strangely relaxing, but I don't think anyone picks up a gun without thinking that some day they may have to be good with it.

I hope that day never comes but its a large part of what led me here.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy130 View Post
I'm new to the sport, and the whole firearm thing in general. At my first gun show this weekend I was blown away by just what is out there for sale and how easy it is to acquire. As a browsed the tables of AK's and AR-15's it dawned on me how we are the most heavily armed nation in the history of man and our citizenry is an army onto itself.

Well it may be an American tradition to collect firearms, but I have never seen so many carried firearms as while I was in Israel. I don't think they allow collecting, and and are not realy any huntable animals there, (the gazelle are a protected speacies, and the sheep and camels belong to sombody) but if you apply for a licence, and meet all the requirements, you can carry a fully automatic M-16. But there they really expect you to keep track of your gun. I think if one is stolen and the owner is found to have not tacken proper care to prevent this, he can go to jail.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:51 PM   #9

Location: St.Peter Port.or St Malo France.or Portsmouth UK,Guernsey .. located in English Channel
Default Kestral

For me,the knowledge that I have the means to protect my family & myself if the worst should ever happen,gives me a feeling of deep inner security.I can hold my head up high in the realisation that others can depend on me to do all thats humanly possible to defend them in case of need. I have the means of instant defense,in the time it would have taken for the authorities to respond,my family could be dead or seriously injured.It is my right & my duty to be that person.If people could be shown how to think defensively instead of aggressively, I think there would be thousands of training ranges all over the country, plus a good relationship with all like minded responsable people.Kestral

Old 08-16-2008, 11:55 PM   #10

Well first of all i buy guns 1. to shoot them 2. to use them in my line of work. I think even if guns were outlawed then i would be and outlaw. I cant rember a time that i didnt own a gun.

I think the reason there are so many differnt choices out there. Is so you can get the most bang for you buck. I personally own an ak and love the darn thing high ammo capacity is nice and it has a decent range so i wouldnt have to let the bad guys get to close. Also have hand guns shotguns and rifles. I like to have opitions. And with the second amendment i get that.