Who can pick up a gun from an FFL?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Who can pick up a gun from an FFL?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Who can pick up a gun from an FFL?

I sent my gun off to get some work done, and it is being mailed back to my shooting range for me. I am out of town for a few weeks, so I won't be able to pick it up. Will they let one of my family members pick up the gun since it's not actually being purchased? It's in VA, so the gun is not registered to anyone anyway.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9508 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Pete- you are not going to like this-

If you sent it for repair, and that gun (or a replacement gun) is being returned to YOU- no transfer takes place. No 4473, no background check. If ANYONE else picks it up, that is considered a transfer, and by the LETTER of the law, would be treated like that person was buying it.

Sorry-

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

OP,
With all due respect to the mod, I doubt it makes any difference as long as the package is opened by YOU and YOU ONLY. I promise not to tell.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickySantoro View Post
OP,
With all due respect to the mod, I doubt it makes any difference as long as the package is opened by YOU and YOU ONLY. I promise not to tell.
not the point. as required by the law the range, store or gunsmith will only release the firearm to the owner.

Just a note, although we all know that there is an element of disrespect for the law/s but, as a forum we try not to suggest anything that may sound as if we as a group are encouraging such actions.
Thank you for understanding my views <Rig>

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 02-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5985 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 427

in the future just mail it direct.

you as the owner can send a firearm to a ffl for repair or sale. the ffl can mail a firearm that was repaired back to you. rifles and shotguns can go by any mail service and must be insured. handguns cannot be mailed through the post office. it is wise to include a copy of the reciever's ffl in the package with the firearm.

different shippers have slightly different policies regarding mailing firearms.

mailing a handgun in seperate packages and marking it "machine parts" through the post office will land you in trouble. there is no legal way for an individual to ship a handgun through the post office regardless of internet myth.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-11-2012, 11:48 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well my mom originally purchased the gun, so I guess technically she's the owner. Will that make a difference?

Old 02-12-2012, 01:20 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9508 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

If YOU took it to the range, and their ffl sent it in, they will have listed it in their "bound book" as coming from you. They need to return it to whoever gave it to them.

A FFL has to maintain a record book of all guns acquired and disposed of. A gun deposited for repair, and returned to same person is not a transfer. Returned to someone else, it is a transfer.

This is spelled out in Federal law- 18 US Code, Section 922. For you to ask a FFL to violate the law under which they are licensed is asking them to put their license at risk, along with criminal penalties. And yes, you better believe the ATF goes by the letter of the law. Try writing KC instead of Kansas City on a 4473.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:50 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
If YOU took it to the range, and their ffl sent it in, they will have listed it in their "bound book" as coming from you. They need to return it to whoever gave it to them.

A FFL has to maintain a record book of all guns acquired and disposed of. A gun deposited for repair, and returned to same person is not a transfer. Returned to someone else, it is a transfer.

This is spelled out in Federal law- 18 US Code, Section 922. For you to ask a FFL to violate the law under which they are licensed is asking them to put their license at risk, along with criminal penalties. And yes, you better believe the ATF goes by the letter of the law. Try writing KC instead of Kansas City on a 4473.
I sent it directly to the shop, not through my local ffl.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Listen to c3. He's telling you factually. Even if it went directly to the manufacturer, it still has to go back through an FFL.

The rules for shipping are spelled out by BATFE. Firearms must be declared and shipping must go through a hub location (the UPS depot, not an UPS store). The USPS wil not ship declared firearms from anyone but a dealer. Shipping undeclared firearms through the USPS is illegal. Postal service form 1508 has to be filled out by the shipper at the time of mailing. Only dealers may use form 1508. I know I'm not mistaken on this. It was spelled out quite clearly for us at a meeting for local dealers where BATFE and our state police were in attandance to go over dealer issues and was a major topic of discussion.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2722 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

Being an Weapon Repair Shop whether the factory or an individual's shop they are or should be licensed by the ATF. And by Federal Law they must post the weapon coming in for repair in their Fed Books. Then signs it back out of his book to the receiving location and person who sent the weapon in for repair. And in your case to your local shooting range to you. I know this is not the answer that you wanted but that is the way it is, as inconvenient as it is. I certainly would not release it to anyone but the person who sent it to the FFL Repair Shop for repair.

Sorry for the bad news!
Hope everything works out for you!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy