Where to shoot?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Where to shoot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2007, 02:14 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Where to shoot?

I always hear people in the more gun friendly states talking about going into the desert or mountains and shooting, how do you know if it is legal or not. I'm looking for a place in WI to be able to just go out and shoot reactive targets and things of that nature but I don't know how to find a legal place to do so. I'm trying to find specific laws about this subject, about public land conducive to shooting, far enough away from residences, roads and parks. Any info and where to look are who to contact would be awesome.

Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by Man.
- Jack Handey

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-12-2007, 02:22 AM   #2
Jay

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The safest source of info will be your State Department of Natural Resources, or whatever WI calls it...... or the State Police.

Or.... http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/findlocal.asp

or..... http://www.huntingnavigator.com/SRWI1.htm

Hope some are close to you.

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 10-12-2007, 07:09 PM   #3

Default shooting area

of course you could do what I did.move south and buy 90 acreas and shoot from the front door.and I am only 3 miles from walmart super store. and one mile from I 95 --

Old 10-12-2007, 11:38 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Shooting is allowed on Forest Service land and BLM land in most places in my state. My county is declared off limits in almost every area. There are a few places open to shoot and the local BLM office has a firearms discharge area map. Try finding one of those at your BLM office.

9x18=Makarov

Old 10-17-2007, 06:41 PM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
...the local BLM office has a firearms discharge area map. Try finding one of those at your BLM office.
Does anyone know if BLM has such info online?

I'm lucky to live in a gun friendly area of Oregon, where there is plenty of open land, and some timber companies that allow shooting. Those who don't clearly post "No Shooting" signs and for the most part they are respected.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 10-18-2007, 02:31 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Contact the Forest Service or BLM office that serves your area. They'll be able to let you know what land in your area they have open for shooting. We have a half dozen shooting areas really close by on BLM land. One of them is a 2 square mile area that is called "the long range shooting area".

Old 10-19-2007, 01:03 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I emailed the BLM and got this repsonse:

Quote:
The BLM does not have a firearms discharge area map for the State of
Wisconsin. The BLM has very little land in Wisconsin. Most of the
lands
we manage are in the states of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado,
Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, and Wyoming.

Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by Man.
- Jack Handey

Old 10-19-2007, 01:17 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS33 View Post
I emailed the BLM and got this repsonse:
Try the USDA Forest Service, Fish and Wildlife or your state forestry or game organization too. I had forgotten that most of BLM's stuff was out this way.

www.dnr.wi.gov These guys control both game and forestry in WI.
www.fs.fed.us Forest Service
www.fws.gov US Fish and Wildlife, you might have better luck with these guys than you did with BLM.

Last edited by matt g; 10-19-2007 at 01:20 AM.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:03 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Desert Shooting

Please be very careful if you shoot in the desert.
While serving in the USMC at 29 Palms Calif. My buddy and I who was also in the Marine Corps took the kids and went out into the desert just a little ways off base in an isolated area to ride trail bikes, drink some brewskeys, and shoot skip on the CB. While undertaking these activities I suddenly heard angry wasps whizzing over our heads and all around us. Gunney knew immediately what the sounds were and ordered all of us to eat dirt. He started screaming at the top of his lungs, (CEASE FIRE, CEASE FIRE). We did not hear the shot report as we were in a acoustical dead space, but we sure as shooten did hear the bullets whizzing by. The shooter stopped and when we approached him he was very shaken and upset to say the least. We were down in a little valley and he could not see us while he was plinking away with his 44 mag. Moral of the story know who is in the area when you shoot, and pick an area where there are no hidden coolies or little valleys to hide people that you are unaware of who may be present in your direct or indirect line of fire.

Cheers and Tight Groups: Eaglesnester