Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Where is it legal to shoot that is not a range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default Where is it legal to shoot that is not a range?

I am trying too be as lawful as I can but have no true idea of where I am able to go and discharge my weapon for practice other than a range that is frankly not cheap. Plus I would like to train more than just sitting at one end and firing at another. What kind of area is it really going to take for me to practice some of the drills I am studying? I live in Oregon FYI.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #2

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

Im gonna jump in on this. I am interested to know the answer aswell.

Have Gun....Will Travel

Old 01-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #3

National forests

Old 01-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #4

Do you or anyone you know have a lot of land?

Old 01-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #5

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 240

If you know of anyone who lives outside of city limits (the country) ask them if it would be ok to shoot on their property. Maybe do a few favors for them (yard work etc.) in return.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 01-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

National forest area seem good but how do I find out where the boarders are?

Old 01-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #7

Pick up a map. The borders will be marked and the area will be shaded, usually green.

Or just go by the nearest forest service office. They will have maps, more than likely for free. While there you can ask them about any specific rules to your area. Like being a 100 feet from a road etc. Or try calling them if you don't know where an office is located.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Around here, old oil well sites (NOT PUMPING WELLS), are a great place to go once you know who owns it. They often have large dirt piles that make a decent backstop. In your area, you could probably look for little owls and shutdown lumber yards outside of town. I have found it wise to ask FIRST when you will be generating sounds of gunfire. Probably want to pick up those cases too.

edit* are you related to Calculon? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calculon#Calculon

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 01-24-2012 at 09:16 PM.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #9

Liked 121 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Your local sheriff's dept has an information phone number, and they should know where they tolerate shooting in their county. Sometimes old abandoned quarries are allowed.

Federal lands such as BLM and National Forest permit hunting, according to state seasons. The Federal rangers might not necessarily like you using one of those spots as a shooting site just for shooting though. In that case it is best to check at a Federal ranger station.

So you need to call someone and check in advance.

Make sure you pick up your brass and don't leave a mess behind. Since you are not paying anyone like you would at a range to clean up after you, you need to remember to do it yourself.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #10

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGULON
I am trying too be as lawful as I can but have no true idea of where I am able to go and discharge my weapon for practice other than a range that is frankly not cheap. Plus I would like to train more than just sitting at one end and firing at another. What kind of area is it really going to take for me to practice some of the drills I am studying? I live in Oregon FYI.
If you live in the Portland area there was a spot just up the gorge in the national forest. That was closer than going past Estacada to the N.F.

NEVER FORGET