Where do you report unfit FOID card holders?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Where do you report unfit FOID card holders?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Where do you report unfit FOID card holders?

I know someone that has mental issues, they've been in mental inpatient. I don't know how they still have a FOID card. They are aggressive and irrational in nature.

I was told you can lie on FOID card applications, because unless it has been reported to the FOID reporting system, issuers can't ask for records. Obviously..HIPPA.

But isn't there a hotline or a reporting system? So someone can at least be reviewed??

This person has decided that they are incapable of working and now get state pay each month for their mental disability (and no they aren't mentally handicapped such as physically or born with something like down sydrome or mental retardation- its a psychosocial deal where they can and will be a harm to someone) and still hold a FOID card and owns guns.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

What state are you in?

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7333 Times on 4411 Posts
Likes Given: 9024

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
What state are you in?
FOID card? It's got to be Illinois.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I suppose the state doesn't really matter.
It is against the law in most states to bring up a persons medical history.
File a report that can be contested and you're open to serious legal issues.
On the other hand if they have made a threat to you and you feel you are in imminent danger your answer is simple.
Contact the police.
I would recommend you strongly consider your motivations.
You could always get a foid card yourself and focus on being better trained and more informed.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9159 Times on 3955 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

OP is in Illinois.

If you have cause to believe that someone is not eligible to possess a firearm under the laws covering that, report it to the FOID section of the Illinois State Police. According to Federal and State laws, anyone who is subject to an active Order of Protection may be ineligible to possess a FOID card. Contact the ISP Firearms Services Bureau at (217) 782-7980 for further information.

By the way- HIPPA does not blanket everything. In this case, if a person has been adjudicated as mentally incompetent, a threat to their own safety, or safety of others, THAT information is supposed to be supplied to Law Enforcement.

Last month, I had a billing clerk at a doc's office tell me I could not have access to info on an injury and treatment due to HIPPA. Told him he needed to go back to school. Worker's Comp case, I am the employer, and HIPPA provides that I will have that info. Or we can do it the easy way- I'll deny the claim, you will not get paid, employee will sue you. 15 seconds for an attitude adjustment on his part.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 07-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #6

Thank you all for quick replies, and yes it's in IL. I am afraid this person is a ticking time bomb - also family relative. I am afraid that he will hurt immediate family members and if I am in the wrong place at the wrong time that I may too be a victim.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #7

Liked 1557 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Where I live, people who have been voluntarily treated for mental illness are not forbidden from owning, carrying or using firearms. It is different if the were committed to treatment.

If you have concerns about someone's ability to safely own or carry a gun, talk to your local law enforcement agency. Allow them to handle it, if they do not feel that the person is a danger to himself or others, drop it. You will have fulfilled your duty to your community. You, of course, are still able to protect your or your family's safety by any legal means.

There are people who should not own firearms, but who chooses who can and who can't is the riddle of the time.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5944 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 5507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Where I live, people who have been voluntarily treated for mental illness are not forbidden from owning, carrying or using firearms. It is different if the were committed to treatment.

If you have concerns about someone's ability to safely own or carry a gun, talk to your local law enforcement agency. Allow them to handle it, if they do not feel that the person is a danger to himself or others, drop it. You will have fulfilled your duty to your community. You, of course, are still able to protect your or your family's safety by any legal means.

Good ADVICE.

Winston Churchill

Last edited by winds-of-change; 07-06-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:09 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post

There are people who should not own firearms, but who chooses who can and who can't is the riddle of the time.
this is good advice except the drop it part. everytime they act out in a threatening manner you need to call the police and fill out a police report. tell the officer you want to make a complaint in writing not just verbally tell the officer what you want to tell em.

what this does is establish a legal pattern of behaviour which can then be used by a court to adjudicate a person who is mentally unstable into a situation where they can get proper help and treatment.

make sure you keep your doors locked and a firearm ready if you go down that path because unbalanced folk like to take their aggressions out on others.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #10

Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 501

One problem you may run into, is if the person already owns a firearm or has access to one. So, far California is th only state with a enforcement team that is specifically trained and employed in confiscation of firearms from person's deemed not fit for ownership. Illinois, may not have a specific way to get firearms that are already owned if not in the execution of a warrant or complaint requiring police pressence.