Where can you carry???


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Where can you carry???

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 03:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 66
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Where can you carry???

It was my understanding as long as I had my concealed for whatever state I'm in, which happens to be Oregon that I could carry where ever I wanted. My coworker though differently and said no, well I looked it up and found this, didnt know how trusted the source is so i thought i would ask on here.

It is unlawful to possess a firearm loaded or unloaded in a public building. “Public building” means a hospital, capitol building, a public or private school, college or university, a courthouse, city hall, or residence of any state official and the grounds adjacent to each such building. This restriction does not apply to individuals licensed under Oregon law to carry concealed weapons.



__________________
WillBender is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-23-2013, 04:34 AM   #2
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 17,187
Liked 9560 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Default

You need to get a good CCW class in your state. And that is NOT a slam on you. The state laws vary a LOT from state to state. I can tell you that you cannot carry in a Post Office, airport, a Federal Building, jail, prison, and I'll bet you a steak dinner there are restrictions in STATE law on schools and courtrooms.



__________________

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:44 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 10,273
Liked 6616 Times on 3686 Posts
Likes Given: 6284

Default

+!
Get a CCW class, or spend some time with a lawyer.

locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:57 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 66
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus
+!
Get a CCW class, or spend some time with a lawyer.
What is CCW?
__________________
WillBender is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:12 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
txcasey86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 17
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Concealed carry weapons, I would assume.

__________________
txcasey86 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mosin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,375
Liked 4542 Times on 2262 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBender View Post
It was my understanding as long as I had my concealed for whatever state I'm in, which happens to be Oregon that I could carry where ever I wanted. My coworker though differently and said no, well I looked it up and found this, didnt know how trusted the source is so i thought i would ask on here.

It is unlawful to possess a firearm loaded or unloaded in a public building. “Public building” means a hospital, capitol building, a public or private school, college or university, a courthouse, city hall, or residence of any state official and the grounds adjacent to each such building. This restriction does not apply to individuals licensed under Oregon law to carry concealed weapons.
You need to look up your state laws...
Write them down,
Talk to a lawyer.
__________________

Arbitrary enforcement of the law is the mark of tyranny. Citizens will always fight against it.

Mosin is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
1911love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,488
Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Find a good training class. Got my CCW before I sought out training and realized how much I didn't know after the "real" training(unlike the training during my CCW course at a gun show). It will save your life and keep your booty out of jail.

__________________
1911love is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jon-in-TN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 13
Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default

Here's a good informative link, just click on the state you wish to see what their carry laws are. I would still talk to someone in your state that knows about the laws. Also, just because someone is in law enforcement or a lawyer, that doesn't mean they are experts in carry laws so search the internet too.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

__________________
Jon-in-TN is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 66
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-in-TN
Here's a good informative link, just click on the state you wish to see what their carry laws are. I would still talk to someone in your state that knows about the laws. Also, just because someone is in law enforcement or a lawyer, that doesn't mean they are experts in carry laws so search the internet too.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.
__________________
WillBender is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danf_fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA (Lower Alabama),FL
Posts: 10,584
Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

Default

In Florida, when you get your CWP, they also provide a copy of the state statutes.

Crossing a state line requires you to know the other state's statutes as well.

Ignorance is not a defense.



__________________

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

danf_fl is offline  
Jon-in-TN Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Retailers that carry concealed carry clothing? paulbrower Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 10 10-25-2012 11:36 PM
Difference between open carry and concealed carry ineverFTF Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 8 08-31-2012 07:11 PM
Do I need to carry a CCP to carry a knife? gmaster456 Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 8 12-16-2011 09:45 PM
Concealed carry = Bad / Discreet Carry = Good -- Semantics canebrake Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 27 07-04-2011 06:53 PM
Open Carry vs. Concealed Carry Debate Tony Soprano The Club House 31 08-06-2009 05:23 AM