When and where to shoot
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > When and where to shoot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1147 Times on 831 Posts
Likes Given: 588

Default When and where to shoot

I have often thought about this topic on whether to kill or shoot an intruder .
I know lots of folks who say they will kill anyone , I have said it too . BUt if you break it down , your taking a life and you will live with that for the rest of yours . Example A: A young teen is breaking into your shed or car ect and is armed with say a knife , you confront him and a fight ensues . Do you kill him ? shoot him in the arm , balls , leg foot ? Remember , he is young and still has a chance of turning his life around . But you stand a chance of legal action against you .
Same situation but with a middle aged man , more than likely his path is set and has been doing wrong for most of his life , he is older and stronger , maybe even a bit braver .I would think it would be easier for me for me to shoot him dead .
You come home mid-day and find un-welcome people in your house doing some shopping , and are unarmed and pose no threat . A: hold them @ gunpoint , they go to jail and get off with a slap B: they " come " at you and you shoot them anyway or C: pop one in there knees to teach them a lesson and never call the cops ?
You and your family is sleeping , you hear a crash , you get up to find intruders do A: kill them regardless of age or B: oh forget it if they break in @ night they are a serious threat and you should spend the next 2 days cleaning up brains with a smile on your face .
Just wondering what some of you guys think , I know every one is different . But I think Im more of a fan of shooting them to teach a lesson and never call it in and I also have a very very large swamp behind my house

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

A lot of it has to do with what local laws say. In my area, you are within your rights to shoot someone who is in your home and you can't retreat to safety. You can't shoot someone on your property unless you're also outside and the intruder poses an immediate threat (just as if you were on the street).

As to whether or not you should shoot an intruder even if doing so is within the bounds of the law, that's up to the individual. Arguably, if you do you can be sure that person won't pose any further threat; you don't want your new friend returning with armed buddies.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #3

Liked 1422 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Regardless of whether justified or not, you will feel sad about killing another human being.

It is better to be sad than to be room temperature.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
A young teen is breaking into your shed or car ect and is armed with say a knife , you confront him and a fight ensues . Do you kill him ? shoot him in the arm , balls , leg foot ? Remember , he is young and still has a chance of turning his life around . But you stand a chance of legal action against you .
I think Im more of a fan of shooting them to teach a lesson and never call it in and I also have a very very large swamp behind my house
wait, what?

thats like saying those 8 year old somali kids with AK's are just an adorable little threat. at that point he or she no longer is a he or she. it has a knife, it is going to die.

this goes back to what was said in the other thread. if you own or going to buy a firearm with the intent of protecting yourself and yours from any threat, you better take a long good hard look at yourself before buying it cause if you do not think you could take another persons life in self defense, buy a baseball bat.

and shooting someone, in self defense, just to wound, to "teach someone a lesson" is like being rapist who uses a condom. you think it makes you a better person that you didnt kill someone you just wounded him? (not you OP in general to everyone) im going to go drink and drive now and if i hit someone i hope i just do enough damage to give them irreparable brain damage just as long as i dont kill them.

if i was doing a B&E and you shot me, and just wounded me, ill call the cops myself, claim that "oh, i thought this was my moms house and i forgot my keys." im going to press charges out the ass, sue you for everything you have, and enjoy doing 5 maybe 3 on good behavor. and ill win with whatever i make up.

dead men tell no tales

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 08-16-2011, 12:00 AM   #5

Liked 1147 Times on 831 Posts
Likes Given: 588

'' dead men tell no tales '' very true . I also keep one of the questionable guns for those uncertain situations . I guess you never know till your in the situation . pops shot 5 inmates escaping one night , killing 2 . He said he kept firing till every gun in the tower was empty , he got good ol boy pats on the back . today he would lose everything .

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:19 AM   #6

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Here in Ky. We can use deadly force to protect property to include your car, shed, garage, ect. that does not give us a right to shoot them just because they are in the yard. No other threat is necessary other then them breaking into your stuff.

Even though I have taken life in wars I am still a little leery of doing so when there are other options.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:19 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1153 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 691

with your screenname, im sure you have heard the term. "two to the chest one to he head".. now with the scenario's you gave.

1.. yes i dont care what age what race what riligion what sex. you come at me with any weapon with lethal intent. you are going down and i am walking away.

2. as angry as i would be and as fun as it sounds, dont shoot. your in more trouble and its not nice. lol. maybe a pistol whip or buttstroke is in order but dont shoot. hold them till the leo's get there.. thats what zipties are for.. you can make people very uncomfortable in certain positions

3. now this is a little iffy. you failed to mention if they are armed. and being woken up it takes a few moments to collect yourself. so... wake up, load grab a good flashlight as well if its not already attached to your firearm. wake up the wife, have her call 911. then proceed to grab your kids if you have them before investigating... if you have trained at clearing your house begin to do so. if not lock up tight in the bedroom... then. only if they refuse to back down proceed to EXTERMINATE the threat. but if they should run or give up.. dont chase em down to shoot them. just kiss your wife and thank god... and invest in a gaurd dog

Last edited by jjfuller1; 08-16-2011 at 12:22 AM.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:22 AM   #8

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
Example A: A young teen is breaking into your shed or car ect and is armed with say a knife , you confront him and a fight ensues . Do you kill him ? shoot him in the arm , balls , leg foot ? Remember , he is young and still has a chance of turning his life around . But you stand a chance of legal action against you.

Example B: Same situation but with a middle aged man , more than likely his path is set and has been doing wrong for most of his life , he is older and stronger , maybe even a bit braver .I would think it would be easier for me for me to shoot him dead .

Example C: You come home mid-day and find un-welcome people in your house doing some shopping , and are unarmed and pose no threat .
Example A: I hold him at gunpoint and hope he runs away. If he advances I put one in the chest and the second in the head.

Example B: Same Answer!

Example C: Same Answer!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:24 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1153 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Example A: I hold him at gunpoint and hope he runs away. If he advances I put one in the chest and the second in the head.

Example B: Same Answer!

Example C: Same Answer!
but in b and c.. there is no hint of a weapon as stated. hence you are going to jail. and the baddie gets a free ride :P

Old 08-16-2011, 12:27 AM   #10

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Wrong! They advance eventhough being held at gunpoint. I am therefore unsure of their intent and assume they intend to attack me.

People get the government they deserve.