Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   When and where to shoot (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/when-where-shoot-46876/)

MobileMarine 08-15-2011 05:37 PM

When and where to shoot

I have often thought about this topic on whether to kill or shoot an intruder .
I know lots of folks who say they will kill anyone , I have said it too . BUt if you break it down , your taking a life and you will live with that for the rest of yours . Example A: A young teen is breaking into your shed or car ect and is armed with say a knife , you confront him and a fight ensues . Do you kill him ? shoot him in the arm , balls , leg foot ? Remember , he is young and still has a chance of turning his life around . But you stand a chance of legal action against you .
Same situation but with a middle aged man , more than likely his path is set and has been doing wrong for most of his life , he is older and stronger , maybe even a bit braver .I would think it would be easier for me for me to shoot him dead .
You come home mid-day and find un-welcome people in your house doing some shopping , and are unarmed and pose no threat . A: hold them @ gunpoint , they go to jail and get off with a slap B: they " come " at you and you shoot them anyway or C: pop one in there knees to teach them a lesson and never call the cops ?
You and your family is sleeping , you hear a crash , you get up to find intruders do A: kill them regardless of age or B: oh forget it if they break in @ night they are a serious threat and you should spend the next 2 days cleaning up brains with a smile on your face .
Just wondering what some of you guys think , I know every one is different . But I think Im more of a fan of shooting them to teach a lesson and never call it in and I also have a very very large swamp behind my house :D

bkt 08-15-2011 05:42 PM

A lot of it has to do with what local laws say. In my area, you are within your rights to shoot someone who is in your home and you can't retreat to safety. You can't shoot someone on your property unless you're also outside and the intruder poses an immediate threat (just as if you were on the street).

As to whether or not you should shoot an intruder even if doing so is within the bounds of the law, that's up to the individual. Arguably, if you do you can be sure that person won't pose any further threat; you don't want your new friend returning with armed buddies.

canebrake 08-15-2011 05:46 PM

Regardless of whether justified or not, you will feel sad about killing another human being.

It is better to be sad than to be room temperature.

usmcprofessional 08-15-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MobileMarine (Post 563450)
A young teen is breaking into your shed or car ect and is armed with say a knife , you confront him and a fight ensues . Do you kill him ? shoot him in the arm , balls , leg foot ? Remember , he is young and still has a chance of turning his life around . But you stand a chance of legal action against you .
I think Im more of a fan of shooting them to teach a lesson and never call it in and I also have a very very large swamp behind my house :D

wait, what?

thats like saying those 8 year old somali kids with AK's are just an adorable little threat. at that point he or she no longer is a he or she. it has a knife, it is going to die.

this goes back to what was said in the other thread. if you own or going to buy a firearm with the intent of protecting yourself and yours from any threat, you better take a long good hard look at yourself before buying it cause if you do not think you could take another persons life in self defense, buy a baseball bat.

and shooting someone, in self defense, just to wound, to "teach someone a lesson" is like being rapist who uses a condom. you think it makes you a better person that you didnt kill someone you just wounded him? (not you OP in general to everyone) im going to go drink and drive now and if i hit someone i hope i just do enough damage to give them irreparable brain damage just as long as i dont kill them.

if i was doing a B&E and you shot me, and just wounded me, ill call the cops myself, claim that "oh, i thought this was my moms house and i forgot my keys." im going to press charges out the ass, sue you for everything you have, and enjoy doing 5 maybe 3 on good behavor. and ill win with whatever i make up.

dead men tell no tales

MobileMarine 08-16-2011 12:00 AM

'' dead men tell no tales '' very true . I also keep one of the questionable guns for those uncertain situations . I guess you never know till your in the situation . pops shot 5 inmates escaping one night , killing 2 . He said he kept firing till every gun in the tower was empty , he got good ol boy pats on the back . today he would lose everything .

opaww 08-16-2011 12:19 AM

Here in Ky. We can use deadly force to protect property to include your car, shed, garage, ect. that does not give us a right to shoot them just because they are in the yard. No other threat is necessary other then them breaking into your stuff.

Even though I have taken life in wars I am still a little leery of doing so when there are other options.

jjfuller1 08-16-2011 12:19 AM

with your screenname, im sure you have heard the term. "two to the chest one to he head".. now with the scenario's you gave.

1.. yes i dont care what age what race what riligion what sex. you come at me with any weapon with lethal intent. you are going down and i am walking away.

2. as angry as i would be and as fun as it sounds, dont shoot. your in more trouble and its not nice. lol. maybe a pistol whip or buttstroke is in order but dont shoot. hold them till the leo's get there.. thats what zipties are for.. you can make people very uncomfortable in certain positions ;)

3. now this is a little iffy. you failed to mention if they are armed. and being woken up it takes a few moments to collect yourself. so... wake up, load grab a good flashlight as well if its not already attached to your firearm. wake up the wife, have her call 911. then proceed to grab your kids if you have them before investigating... if you have trained at clearing your house begin to do so. if not lock up tight in the bedroom... then. only if they refuse to back down proceed to EXTERMINATE the threat. but if they should run or give up.. dont chase em down to shoot them. just kiss your wife and thank god... and invest in a gaurd dog

dunerunner 08-16-2011 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MobileMarine (Post 563450)
Example A: A young teen is breaking into your shed or car ect and is armed with say a knife , you confront him and a fight ensues . Do you kill him ? shoot him in the arm , balls , leg foot ? Remember , he is young and still has a chance of turning his life around . But you stand a chance of legal action against you.

Example B: Same situation but with a middle aged man , more than likely his path is set and has been doing wrong for most of his life , he is older and stronger , maybe even a bit braver .I would think it would be easier for me for me to shoot him dead .

Example C: You come home mid-day and find un-welcome people in your house doing some shopping , and are unarmed and pose no threat .

Example A: I hold him at gunpoint and hope he runs away. If he advances I put one in the chest and the second in the head.

Example B: Same Answer!

Example C: Same Answer!

jjfuller1 08-16-2011 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunerunner (Post 563712)
Example A: I hold him at gunpoint and hope he runs away. If he advances I put one in the chest and the second in the head.

Example B: Same Answer!

Example C: Same Answer!

but in b and c.. there is no hint of a weapon as stated. hence you are going to jail. and the baddie gets a free ride :P

dunerunner 08-16-2011 12:27 AM

Wrong! They advance eventhough being held at gunpoint. I am therefore unsure of their intent and assume they intend to attack me.