When is it ok to shoot? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > When is it ok to shoot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 01:20 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius10721 View Post
Thats some good information there. Thank you. I did not know about that penal code. Crime is starting to get worse around here because now the state of CA has been ordered by the supreme court to release 40 percent of its prison population because of overcrowding so in other words we are getting to the point where we cant afford to lock them up anymore. I bought a German shepard to help watch the house. I think dogs and guns go together like salt and pepper. Days of the wild west are coming back.
WHAT??? 40%??? Gotta be kidding me!!! That's UNREAL!!!

I like the guns and dogs analogy...How do you go about making a spoiled beagle into a mean azz guard dog?

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 07-25-2012, 02:28 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Beagles are from the hound family; they have a distinctive howl so makinq noise is what they excel at - 2nd only to their appetite.

CA - feel sorry for the tax payers. At the end of the day, they get the bill.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:37 AM   #33
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 154 Times on 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla
Beagles are from the hound family; they have a distinctive howl so makinq noise is what they excel at - 2nd only to their appetite.

CA - feel sorry for the tax payers. At the end of the day, they get the bill.
A pack of beagles can be a very viscious thing i would rather mess with a pit or a german sheperd than four or five beagles

Old 07-25-2012, 04:42 AM   #34

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody63m

A pack of beagles can be a very viscious thing i would rather mess with a pit or a german sheperd than four or five beagles
Really? Never would guess a bunch of shilos could do that lol

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 07-25-2012, 06:43 AM   #35
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 154 Times on 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead396

Really? Never would guess a bunch of shilos could do that lol
You ever seen what happens to a rabbit when a beagle catches it now imgaine four or five of them doing that to any part of your body they can get ahold of at leats with a pit or a german shepard its only one mouth ripping into you beagles are pack hunters the more of them there are the stronger they are. I heard a story about this neighborhood that had to wild pitbulls jumping fences and killing peoples pets. One guy got tired of it and set 12 of his hunting dogs out after them their was no more pit bull problem after that

Old 07-25-2012, 07:03 AM   #36

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Use your head (your most powerful weapon) and only draw and fire your weapon to save you or someone’s life. This is the only righteous shooting. Anything else will find you in a cage or a box.

I NEVER shoot to kill, I shoot to live.

cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-25-2012, 07:03 AM   #37

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody63m View Post
a german shepard its only one mouth ripping into you
I have three german shepherds, if the four year old male I have bites you, you are done. Your arm would be broken. He is 85 lbs and when he plays a big game. It is very dynamic and he has lightning reflexes, way faster than mine. And the smarts on these dogs are different, there is a reason every cop wants one as backup.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:07 AM   #38

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody63m

You ever seen what happens to a rabbit when a beagle catches it now imgaine four or five of them doing that to any part of your body they can get ahold of at leats with a pit or a german shepard its only one mouth ripping into you beagles are pack hunters the more of them there are the stronger they are. I heard a story about this neighborhood that had to wild pitbulls jumping fences and killing peoples pets. One guy got tired of it and set 12 of his hunting dogs out after them their was no more pit bull problem after that
Wow crazy little bastards

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 07-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #39
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1337 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 612

I agree with watching what you say on public forums. With that said, we must remember that Castle Doctrine only means we do not have a duty to retreat from our homes and, in some states, businesses. That does not give the right to assume that everyone trying to break in is going to attack you and therefore give you the right to take their life. You must still identify a threat to life or grievous bodily injury before pulling the trigger.

Remember also not to use arbitrary measurements like "within three seconds" as a person can close a distance of 21' in less than 1.5 seconds and your adrenaline will make it very hard to estimate time. You also never want to take your eyes off of the intruder for any reason like checking your watch.

Do not try to determine an intruders intentions. You cannot read his mind and have no idea what he originally intended to do nor what he will do now that he faces you. Criminals learn early on to play on your sympathy with sob stories. Give commands and expect them to be obeyed immediately. Allow no talking or negotiating or stories. Use solid, short words that are easy to understand, such as:

"STOP! On the ground! Spread your legs! Hands out! Palms up! SHUT UP! Police are coming - they will talk to you!"

Any command that is not followed immediately should be followed up with "i will shoot! Do it NOW!". These commands should be part of your training with a partner, as well as both compliance and non-compliance by your "suspect.". Training makes you sound more authoritative and believable. Meek, quiet types should practice with a gregarious extrovert to see how it's done.

Call 911 as soon as possible and don't hang up! If you call when you hear the glass break and the tape has all of your loud, simple commands on it, you will have a record o how you tried not to take his life. Obviously if he is right on you or drawing a gun, then you must make a decision to fire. But everything you can do to prove you tried not to take a life and it was only done in the gravest extreme will help you and your family avoid trials, court costs and civil suits.

Castle Doctrine or not, it is better to save yourself and your family from the psychological horror of a dead body in your house. Send the kids to Harvard instead of a $100,000 legal defense (which is considered average in a shooting). We have a duty to protect ourselves and our family, but we need to practice and be ready for the proper way to do it.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #40

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

"Halt! Or I shoot".

They do, I don't.
They don't, I do.

I practice this challenge and response on the target range (pretending that they either advance or don't advance). And then I fire or I don't fire.

Then I re-practice the same thing over again.

During the real thing I won't be thinking or deciding, I will only be automatically responding (at least I hope my practicing has made this a reality).

If this sounds familiar, it's straight out of Ayoob's books.