Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > When is it ok to shoot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

It depends on the law.

If someone is breaking a window, and they are attempting to enter the home.. that gives me every reason to shoot the suspect, even if that means death. I wont shoot the person while they are on the floor of course that's just wrong and against the law.

Last edited by Rarity; 07-24-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #12

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

In my opinion one strong firm warning to show your hands and get on the floor if the BG doesn't take the order in 3 seconds or less I'm shooting for the chest...... shoot to kill

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 07-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #13

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead396 View Post
In my opinion one strong firm warning to show your hands and get on the floor if the BG doesn't take the order in 3 seconds or less I'm shooting for the chest...... shoot to kill
Couldn't agree more. If a person does something to me or my family that causes me to feel it necessary to shoot them I don't want them scared or hurt. I want them dead. A corps will never stand in court and point at you saying how they only wanted a glass of water.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #14

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead396
Wrong! You shoot not to kill, wound, or scare, but instead to STOP THE THREAT. While that may mean death it also may not.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #15

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1996

They are going to flee or get on the floor because they don't want option 3.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #16
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17

Wrong! You shoot not to kill, wound, or scare, but instead to STOP THE THREAT. While that may mean death it also may not.
I have to partially disagree. With the way the laws are in my state you draw your sidearm you shoot to kill.
1) you cannot draw a firearm unless it is to save a life
2) you meet deadly force with deadly force
3) you make sure the bg doesn't get the chance to tell his side of the story
4) it is almost a guarantee you will be going to jail even if it is a justified shooting
5) the bg's family is going to sue you and you don't need medical bills added to your problems

That said not all states are like ma,ny or Florida.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #17

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17

Have to agree with keys Kelly I see where your coming from pagj but I deff don't wanna get caught in some long drawn out court case with some BG who is just gonna do it again because I tried to save my own life obviously though if there on the ground and dying and not a threat in not gonna walk up and put one in there head but you get what I mean

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 07-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #18

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

The safest way is to learn your state laws. And follow them. Adhering to the same use of force continuum the police use, you'll have an easier time during the INEVITABLE civil and potential criminal trial explaining that you did everything in your power to AVOID lethal force, but had no choice.
Or you may be able to avoid lethal force, and court altogether.

"tried by twelve instead of carried by six" sounds heroic, until a jury full of anti-gunners who think you were a trigger happy vigilante give you 25 years in a place where EVERYONE'S a bad guy and NOBODY has guns...

Old 07-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8441 Times on 3663 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Rather than be "tried by 12". I would rather be found to have acted reasonably in the circumstances, and NOT charged with anything.

You DO need to understand the laws that apply to where YOU are. In any of the 57 states. And if you think making SURE that the hobgoblin is dead AFTER you have stoppd him means you will not have a long, drawn out trial, ask the druggist that re-shot the perp laying on the floor of his shop.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 07-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #20

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead396 View Post
Something tells me you have never taken a CC class. If you had you would understand that you NEED to say "to stop the treat" and "I was in fear of my life". Saying shoot to kill is a fast track to a conviction. Keep this in mind also. Everything you put out on the internet is out there, for anyone to find, forever. Lets hope you never have to use a firearm in self defense, but if you do, there is a good chance you could be out under a microscope and you will regret having said certain things. Confronted with a situation where I need to defend myself, I will shoot to stop the threat, if the bad guy dies so be it, if he lives he is one lucky SOB.