When is it ok to shoot?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > When is it ok to shoot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default When is it ok to shoot?

Im posting this thread because i want to hear your opinions. After having a talk with my aunt and uncle they said they would only shoot if someone attacked them, but if someone broke in they would ask them either what they're doing and or tell them to get on the ground because they might just be breaking in because someone tried to attack them and they need help or they are poor and really hungry trying to steal food. I thought that was ridiculous and that if someone broke into my house i would shoot them on sight because they can easily draw a weapon on me and shoot me. What would you guys do if someone broke into your house? shoot on sight(verify its not family of course)?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #2

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

This is going to be one of those threads with a million different answers and a million different opinions so here's my 2 cents.

If someone causes me to feel threatened for my life or the lives of those I love shoot first and ask questions later. If you do have to shoot someone call 911 immediately. Give no more information other than your name, location of the shooting (home, car, parking lot, alley), tell them you are armed and say "I was in fear for my life". Stay at the scene until the Police arrive and have your gun exposed, in plain sight and at least 5 feet from you. If they try to question you say NOTHING other than "I was in fear for my life". If they ask for more details tell them you do not want to say anything else without an Attorney present.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #3

Liked 383 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree, 986. If someone broke into my house at 3:00am, I doubt it would be for a bowl of Cheerios. I'd have to believe their intentions were hostile. I'd be forced to act accordingly. I hope neither of us will ever have to roll those dice.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

I try to follow a standard "use of force continuum" (I just pretty much use the same thing my agency uses ALL the time)

Lethal force is the most severe, most serious thing you can do. You CANNOT be cavalier about it.

If I'm in a situation where I can get out with another option, by all means. Id rather lose my wallet than take your life. But I WILL act to prevent grievous injury or death. If I believe that my hesitation will result in severe injury or death, I will act. If I also believe that my actions will not make the situation WORSE (I.e. check backstop etc.) I will act.

The important things are to de-escalate and articulate. As the threat stops, you stop. and be able to ARTICULATE WHY you used force. "I feared for my life" "the assailant was between me and the exit, and had a knife" etc...

Old 07-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #5

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
Im posting this thread because i want to hear your opinions. After having a talk with my aunt and uncle they said they would only shoot if someone attacked them, but if someone broke in they would ask them either what they're doing and or tell them to get on the ground because they might just be breaking in because someone tried to attack them and they need help or they are poor and really hungry trying to steal food. I thought that was ridiculous and that if someone broke into my house i would shoot them on sight because they can easily draw a weapon on me and shoot me. What would you guys do if someone broke into your house? shoot on sight(verify its not family of course)?
Your best bet is to read, re-read and understand the Castle Doctrine in your state. In my state, any unauthorized presence in my house is, by law, a felony and I am afforded the right of self-defense regardless of the reason for the intrusion...Arm yourself with knowledge first...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
canebrake Likes This 
Old 07-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #6

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

In some situations if you point a weapon at someone, that can put your butt in jail for assualt

Old 07-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #7

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

If, and it is a big one, they comply, they spare their lives. However, if they have gun/knife in hand when I "find" them, well the situation is escalated to the point I'll have no control.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 07-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I have learnt that the burden of proof is on the shooter to justify his actions. This doesn't mean that one should be hasty to deploy his firearm and blast an intruder. You may be surprised that someone may land in your living room having fled from the scene of domestic abuse of something. Coming out blazing is not the maturest way to approach an invasion.

I would approach with caution. I would inform the intruder that i am armed and they should show me their hands. based on their response i would then decide whether to apply a more aggressive manner or whether to stand down.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #9

Liked 2459 Times on 1595 Posts

I will be yelling "on the ground" while aiming. No reason you can't do both. If they run, you avoid a big mess. If they lay down and comply, you avoid a big mess. If they reach for a weapon, your already aiming and have the upper hand.

Feral cat waterboarder

PrinC Likes This 
Old 07-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

For someone to enter a known occupied abode, they understand the risk they take, and how their actions will be received by the occupants.

Thus, by breaking in, they are a threat.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)