When Drawing a Gun is Like Owning a Gun - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

When Drawing a Gun is Like Owning a Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 335 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

My high school actually had G&A in the library. But that was a another time and in rural Maine.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #12

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

I guess if you drew an airplane, you would be possessing a weapon of mass destruction. God help the poor kid who drew a mushroom.........

Some of my liberal friends do push an issue way too far.................

Carl Sagan

Old 02-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6784 Times on 3605 Posts
Likes Given: 506

ive drawn two pictures in my life that were really good. one was of the battle of the alamo with mexicans and texans using guns to kill each other. the other was of the come and take it flag with cannon...
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 02-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #14

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Is it illegal to own a gun? That's what I get from this article. The man was let go because no gun was found.
I've had a discussion with a canadian guy at work bout there gun laws. It isn't illeagal, but if owned one it would be register so they would know about it. since he didn't have one aka no registration they prolly over reacted and thought he was harboring illegal weapons. To take your handgun to the range in canada you have to call local LEO's and let them know you are taking your handgun off the your property. even if the range is across the street

Old 02-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
What a load of sh!t! I wonder if that father will contact a lawyer over his and his families tratment. I would.

Had an incident back in November in which my stepdaughter, who was 14, took one of my G&A mags with her to school, and was given detention for reading it in study hall due to it "representing guns". Her mother and I were called and told to talk to the school principle and the SRO. Living in a town of less than 1500 people, we know both of them, wife works at the school, principal was one of my teachers, and I went to school with the SRO. Aparently, firearms literature is forbiden in this district because "it may provoke another student into bringing a gun to the school and possibly shooting other students. It simply can not be allowed." My response (after getting my G&A back!) was simply, " If a student is going to bring a gun to school AND shoot other students and teachers, it would not be due to seeing a magazine. It would be due to poor parenting, a lack of firearms education, and p!ss poor storage of the guns in their parents house. Funny thing, I was raised with them, as were my mother and father, and we never shot anyone. We will be leaving now, and I can assure you this will not happen again."

The principal got very pale. The SRO smiled, had to bite back a laugh, and nodded in agreement. As for my kid's detention, it ended early that time.

Wow. I'd bet that kids that read G&A or American Hunter or American Rifleman are less likely to commit crimes with guns. So the school should be happy that good kids are reading good magazines.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #16
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2468 Times on 1496 Posts
Likes Given: 13570

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969 View Post
My high school actually had G&A in the library. But that was a another time and in rural Maine.
Between my graduation and my stepdaughter's enrolment, we had a superintendant from the NYC metro area decide to move to our end of the state. Needless to say, a lot has changed since then. The current pricipal is also from the other end of the region, IE grew up liberal in one of the bigger cities, in WNY. He is a decent person, If you can get past the fact that he is a liberal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
Wow. I'd bet that kids that read G&A or American Hunter or American Rifleman are less likely to commit crimes with guns. So the school should be happy that good kids are reading good magazines.
T\U! That's how I feel about it too. I grew up with gun mags, guns in a locked cabinet that I had a key for, ammo, and hunting gear in my room and I never even consider using a gun to solve my "problems". The funny part is 2 years after I graduated, a list of warning signs for potential school shooters was released. I was able to answer yes to most of the signs on that list. Loner, listens to "dark music", has an understanding of guns and how they work, talks about guns in his\her group of peers (usually no more than a group of four in total), The only one that I didn't say yes to was, " Seems to have no compassion for those around him and\or is abusive to other people or animals." Oh wait, I'm a hunter. I guess I could say yes to that!

There was a shooting in my senior year, not at the school though, at another kids house. It was ruled accidental in the end, and the kid who shot the other was 18 and raised in an anti household. The one who got shot was raised in a pro household, the gun used was his dad's and it was not secured. Both involed were close friends of mine, and it drove the point home to me that,
#1, If you are not in control of the weapon via direct contact or use, secure it. Sh!t happens, but is often preventable.
#2,Knowledge IS the #1 preventative. Educate your kids and take the mystery away.
That is why from age 7 on my stepdaughterwas trained in the operation, ande safe use of every gun in my possesion, at first against her mother and father's wishes. In time they understood why, and now she competes in a trap league and goes target shooting with us. I am proud to say that so far she has a 100% saftey record, and I don't ever see that changing.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #17

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Had an incident back in November in which my stepdaughter, who was 14, took one of my G&A mags with her to school, and was given detention for reading it in study hall due to it "representing guns". Her mother and I were called and told to talk to the school principle and the SRO. Living in a town of less than 1500 people, we know both of them, wife works at the school, principal was one of my teachers, and I went to school with the SRO. Aparently, firearms literature is forbiden in this district because "it may provoke another student into bringing a gun to the school and possibly shooting other students. It simply can not be allowed." My response (after getting my G&A back!) was simply, " If a student is going to bring a gun to school AND shoot other students and teachers, it would not be due to seeing a magazine. It would be due to poor parenting, a lack of firearms education, and p!ss poor storage of the guns in their parents house. Funny thing, I was raised with them, as were my mother and father, and we never shot anyone. We will be leaving now, and I can assure you this will not happen again."
That's crazy. I brought a Midway USA magazine to school once and the most liberal teacher there saw it and then did nothing. That is crazy!

Old 02-29-2012, 01:57 AM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Between my graduation and my stepdaughter's enrolment, we had a superintendant from the NYC metro area decide to move to our end of the state. Needless to say, a lot has changed since then. The current pricipal is also from the other end of the region, IE grew up liberal in one of the bigger cities, in WNY. He is a decent person, If you can get past the fact that he is a liberal.

T\U! That's how I feel about it too. I grew up with gun mags, guns in a locked cabinet that I had a key for, ammo, and hunting gear in my room and I never even consider using a gun to solve my "problems". The funny part is 2 years after I graduated, a list of warning signs for potential school shooters was released. I was able to answer yes to most of the signs on that list. Loner, listens to "dark music", has an understanding of guns and how they work, talks about guns in his\her group of peers (usually no more than a group of four in total), The only one that I didn't say yes to was, " Seems to have no compassion for those around him and\or is abusive to other people or animals." Oh wait, I'm a hunter. I guess I could say yes to that!

There was a shooting in my senior year, not at the school though, at another kids house. It was ruled accidental in the end, and the kid who shot the other was 18 and raised in an anti household. The one who got shot was raised in a pro household, the gun used was his dad's and it was not secured. Both involed were close friends of mine, and it drove the point home to me that,
#1, If you are not in control of the weapon via direct contact or use, secure it. Sh!t happens, but is often preventable.
#2,Knowledge IS the #1 preventative. Educate your kids and take the mystery away.
That is why from age 7 on my stepdaughterwas trained in the operation, ande safe use of every gun in my possesion, at first against her mother and father's wishes. In time they understood why, and now she competes in a trap league and goes target shooting with us. I am proud to say that so far she has a 100% saftey record, and I don't ever see that changing.
Times have changed, and in some parts for the better.

My dad's gun cabinet did not have a lock, but none of us kids would have even dreamed about opening that cabinet much less removing something with out dad's express approval. And most of us kids were hunter safety trained.

Today, I would not think of having unsecured guns in the house...they would be in my direct control or locked up, no exceptions.

With these tragic events at schools, all gun owners need to be concerned and we need to help find workable ways to prevent or reduce these tradgedies....if we don't, the anti folks will do it and then all of us responsible owners lose out. Grousing and moaning won't do it, so we need to take action and to support reasonable levels of control and responsibility, and I think this can be done without creating an undefended nanny state.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:17 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would have gotten my dad arrested about 150 times and what would they do if he had a gun. When did that become illegal.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:20 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also I am disliking where America is going and what I hear every day. No thanks to Obama's great leadership.