Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   When in doubt, CONFISCATE! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/when-doubt-confiscate-47552/)

bkt 08-30-2011 10:31 PM

When in doubt, CONFISCATE!

Cops Confiscate Lakewood Lady’s Arsenal; Motive Pending
Posted by Kyle Swenson on Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Francesca Rice no longer serves in her country’s armed forces, but she brought a piece of the action back home with her.

It seems the Lakewood vet had stockpiled her Edgewater Towers condo with a home arsenal including handguns, shotguns, a sniper rifle — plus a Thompson sub-machine gun, just in case the pizza guy got fresh.

Her cache somehow caught the attention of Lakewood Police, who paid a visit last September. When they found Rice wasn’t home, they asked an obliging employee of the complex to open up the apartment without her consent. Once inside, they raided the gun rack, making off with 13 firearms worth around $15,000. The only problem: They had no apparent reason to.

When Rice kindly asked to have her toys returned, the cops acknowledged that the weapons were legally owned. But they refused to return them without a court order. And so Rice has filed suit in Lakewood Municipal Court.

So far, nobody’s doing much talking. Lakewood Police Chief Timothy Malley declined to speak specifically about the seizure, citing the ongoing lawsuit. He also declined to speak generally about situations in which Lakewood cops would be likely to seize property on a whim. Rice’s attorney did not return Scene’s calls for comment, and Rice didn’t respond to repeated buzzes on her apartment intercom.

Amid all the zipped lips, there’s a moral here for everybody: Gun owners, beware of law enforcement looking to trod upon your rights. And non-gun owners, beware of neighbors who are particularly well prepared for the zombie apocalypse.

-----------------------------

Probable cause? Hello?

Guys, pay attention to stuff like this. It is designed to turn those of us who respect the rule of law away from those who enforce the law. Get angry, but get angry at the right people.

Jpyle 08-30-2011 10:58 PM

Wow...what's the tally on how many amendments were violated here?

c3shooter 08-30-2011 11:05 PM

http://www.lovelakewood.com/pdf/law/110817_guns.pdf

Sniper03 08-30-2011 11:19 PM

As the famous "Scooby Doo" would have said, if in fact it went down exactly as stated? ROTT ROE! No warrant! And also the violation of the employee letting them in without a warrant. Whew! :eek: I would not want to be a part of that stupid trick!

tellmaster207 08-31-2011 12:48 AM

There must be more to this story. Not finding out anything on the Internet.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Vincine 08-31-2011 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tellmaster207 (Post 572225)
There must be more to this story.

Probably.

Even so:
Can’t she call the police and tell them she was robbed?
And that she knows where the stolen property is?
And even who did it?
Wouldn’t the BAFT have an interest in such a collection being stolen?

All kinds of irony here.

Maybe she could apply for a CCW permit because she has been the victim of a robbery.

willshoum 08-31-2011 02:06 AM

Aughhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........

And you wonder why some people become cop killers......Something smells and it ain't gun powder.......

JonM 08-31-2011 02:39 AM

if no warrant no probable cause (probable cause is not just owning guns) i would say she has a very damn fine lawsuit standing against the apartment complex owner and employee along with a massive one against the gestapo like PD

fireguy 08-31-2011 03:02 AM

This story makes my gut hurt. Lots wrong all the way around. I'm glad we have a sheriff who believes strongly in the right to bear arms.

tellmaster207 08-31-2011 03:09 AM

Motive pending?

1900: Innocent until proven guilty.
1960: Guilty until proven innocent.
2011: Guilty while awaiting "motive pending" guilt.

Does "motive pending" mean that we will be back later to find you guilty?
Hopefully we will here more about this case & it doesn't disappear.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk