Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   What's up with Florida (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/whats-up-florida-56946/)

Trimap123 02-04-2012 12:11 AM

What's up with Florida

I applied for my cwl in Florida and while.checking background they cam up with a charge of desertion from the 80s when I was in navy with no outcome for case I was never it shows charged not convicted that's because I was never a deserter I went AWOL once for 1 week it rely shows no outcome like I said I sent in my dd214 to prove I did not get a dishonorable discharge no court martial no jail so they cleared it and sent cwl now I went to buy gun and of course it showed up again. And again I sent dd214 and they got it now there saying may not be able to buy gun navy says if it was a convection it would say it on dd214 since a charge of. AWOL or desertion is not a crime in civilian world no matching crime and as long as it's not a dd discharge iam able to buy gun. Any ideas of what I can do to solve this they did not say no they just said we need to make our minds up

JTJ 02-04-2012 12:34 AM

You are dealing with government employees, do you really expect common sense or someone who cares? Find out who is in charge and talk to him or her. If that does not work, call your congressmen. He has staffers that know how to sort things out.

Trimap123 02-04-2012 12:58 AM

True

You right that's how this happened in the first place government when I called navy there response was we have no record of it so we can't fix it and referee to dd214. Or I could go to my old command and fix it's a ship that's on the bottom of ocean (and it's not a sub) as a reef ge wonder if some of these workers are at bottom of see

trip286 02-04-2012 01:06 AM

That's messed up dude. But I can't help but laugh a little! I've done the unauthorized vacation myself, turned myself in when I was ready, took my punishment (I got off light because of the circumstances), finished my enlistment and got an honorable discharge. I've never heard another word about it.

Trimap123 02-04-2012 01:14 AM

Same

Same for me imwas discharged 2 years later admin I requested it wanted me to spend 5 years as reserve going to drills 500 miles away on my dime a
No thank you

therewolf 02-06-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 698546)
That's messed up dude. But I can't help but laugh a little! I've done the unauthorized vacation myself, turned myself in when I was ready, took my punishment (I got off light because of the circumstances), finished my enlistment and got an honorable discharge. I've never heard another word about it.

The way it worked when I was in the Canoe Club was:

During Peacetime,;

Less than 30 days- generally Article 15, unless there was an

obvious proof of permanent desertion,

After 30 days;

1) If you were apprehended, you would

probably face a general courts-martial for desertion.

2) If you turned yourself in voluntarily, it was

still considered AWOL, and you faced an Article 15.

Been there, done that, 38 days, Article 15, no permanent

effect on record or discharge.

IMO,(IANAL) you are the victim of a computer glitch,

and you need to contact whoever updates the

source database, and have the recurring glitch removed...

orangello 02-06-2012 09:55 PM

Isn't there an appeal form for the ATF peeps at the gunstore? My nephew is about to do one for whatever is holding him up on a purchase (heaven only knows).

http://www.atf.gov/contact/
(800) 800-3855 (Toll Free)

Do i misunderstand, did you fail the NCIC background check at the gunstore after you received a FL permit to carry? If so, i would think ATF would be on your "complain to" list.

Chainfire 02-06-2012 09:59 PM

The only way you will get satisfaction on this problem is to hire an attorney. It is going to cost you some money and you have to decide if it is worth it. Once your name gets in the computer, it will never go away and you will be bucking it for as long as you live. I doubt if any amount of letters or phone calls will help you at all. If you can't afford an attorney, try legal aid. Not much chance they will be able to help you as they are usually overloaded with clients who are in jail and your situation will be way down their priority list. That said, it never hurts to try.

Regardless of what it should be, in this case, you are guilty until proven innocent.

Trimap123 02-07-2012 12:31 AM

I was told by lawyer today a charge does not mean conviction and there was no conviction no court martial he also said if they can't find outcome they have to ok buy and later if they find something they can stop my dd214 would show any court martials it does not and also shows no dd discharge or bad conduct just for the good of service admin discharge I've seen a dd214 in which the guy got dd and court mar so i hope he's right thanks for the advice let me know if you have any thoughts you have on this

Trimap123 02-07-2012 12:34 AM

Yes I got lic to carry had same problem but sent dd214 and it cleared it up no not failed yet I'll know tomorrow I was told to buy privet and forget going through this next time