what are the top 5 most iconic guns of the us or of the world. - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > what are the top 5 most iconic guns of the us or of the world.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 06:10 AM   #51
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

paladin, very good list and reasons. those you listed pretty much say it all!

Old 02-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #52

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'm curious as to why people believe the Glock line of handguns to be iconic.

When I think iconic firearms I think firearms that have had a major role in world events. Firearms like the M16/M4, M1A, AK47, Garand, 1911, etc.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #53

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201
Too many to pick 5. So I'm going to start listing and see what happens....

1. Colt Single Action Army - The Peacemaker, killed more bad guys in westerns than all others put together.
2. Winchester 1873 - The Gun that Won the West, killed more indians in westerns than all the others put together.
3. Colt 1911 - Doesn't need an explanation. Any American who doesn't recognize this gun on site should be deported (kidding).
4. Thompson SMG - According to many Hollywood producers, every U.S. Soldier had one in WWII, and every bad guy during the roaring 20's.
5. Schmeizer SMG - According to many Hollywood producers, every German soldier had one in WWII.
6. Luger - According to many Hollywood producers, every German officer had one in WWII.
7. Browning .50 MG - Say machine gun to the average person and its the first thing they think of.
8. AK47 - Name a military movie in the last 50 years that doesn't have one. To most the population, typifies the "assault weapon".
9. S&W 44 Magnum - Do you feel lucky punk? To half the population, every revolver they see is a Dirty Harry gun.
10. M-16/AR-15 - Shares the title of being the icon of assault weapons with the AK47. Every rifle the public sees a U.S. soldier carrying is an M-16, even if it isn't.

OK, so the list came to 10 instead of 5. Oh, and for the record, I picked them based on the idea of "icon" meaning that they are widely known and recognized by a large segment of the general population. Not their importance or historical significance. For instance, I left off the M1 Garand. According to George Patton "The greatest battle implement ever devised". But show one to the average non-gun person today and they'll shrug and say "That looks familiar". And the main driving factor in making a gun an "icon" in the public eyes has been, or course, the movies.
You left off the garand because people only know that it "looks familiar", but included the schmeiser?

Come on, MAN!!!

The others were pretty spot on tho, I'll give ya that.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #54

Here's what iconic means:
2. An important and enduring symbol: "Voyager will take its place ... alongside such icons of airborne adventure as The Spirit of St. Louis and [the] Bell X-1" (William D. Marbach).
3. One who is the object of great attention and devotion; an idol: "He is ... a pop icon designed and manufactured for the video generation" (Harry F. Waters).

Important and enduring guns!

Old 02-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #55
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2231 Times on 1205 Posts
Likes Given: 803

Although I doubt my collection will never be complete, I certainly will not consider it near complete without a Garand. It really is the pinnacle of the battle rifle. That's probably one of the reasons some wouldn't consider it in their list. It defined the pinnacle of its class, but was then shortly replaced by a new class of firearm, the assault rifle.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 02-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #56

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA
Although I doubt my collection will never be complete, I certainly will not consider it near complete without a Garand. It really is the pinnacle of the battle rifle. That's probably one of the reasons some wouldn't consider it in their list. It defined the pinnacle of its class, but was then shortly replaced by a new class of firearm, the assault rifle.
That's a good point, but I think most would consider the '69 Camaro iconic. It's the one that ALL the collectors want...yet that body style was made that one year only.

That's pretty much applicable to the Garand, in my opinion.

But it's just an opinion....

Old 02-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootitout View Post
1. AK 47
2. M16/m4
3. Glock
4. Colt single action
5. Remington 870

This is my quick list if i thought for a long time I could probly do a bit better.
Sry about spelling its not my thing.
Mine's only slightly different, if we're going for "guns that people recognize, even if they don't know the name of the gun":

1. AK-47 - Quite a few nations have it on their flag, as I recall. And it has extremely distinctive look and sound, people know it when they see it.
2. AR-15 - I can't speak for the world, but when I think about the US military, this is the gun they have.
3. Colt 1911 - Very distinctive hand gun, most everyone has seen it. Quite a few movie appearances, as well.
4. Glock
5. M107 - Yes, it's an anti-materiel rifle. Yes, it's pretty darn new in the scheme of things. But nothing says "sniper system" to me more than it does.

There are two types of idiocy: Believing everything one is told without question, and never listening to what others have to say.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #58

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
You left off the garand because people only know that it "looks familiar", but included the schmeiser?

Come on, MAN!!!

The others were pretty spot on tho, I'll give ya that.
I know. 50 lashes with a wet noodle. But I didn't necessarily consider that people could name the gun. Just that they recognize it to the point where they know the country and when and where its used. Using my wife and sons for examples. Show them a Schmeizer and they immediately peg it as "Thats the gun all those Germans had". Same response with the Tommy Gun. But show them a picture of a Garand and they say it "Looks familiar" but they can't place it. Same thing as the Mauser. One of the most widely made and used gun in in the world. But show John Doe a picture of one and they say "Some kind of hunting rifle". And the media is responsible for it. On a lot of WWII movies, every flipping German you see has a Schmeiser. Makes more of an impact on the silver screen than a guy with a bolt action rifle. Just like the old Civil War era movies. According to Hollywood, 99% of the U.S. Army was cavalry.