At what point would you disarm? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > At what point would you disarm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #21
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3274 Times on 1885 Posts
Likes Given: 1397

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhill View Post
I had heard about the incident down in fl, but i also heard multiple stories? can you clarify anything at all about the incident?
American Handgunner magazine had the straight scoop. Basically, perp concealed a weapon, and between taser blasts, pulled it out. Deputies did not have a firearm pulled (one on taser, one with cuffs) and perp was practiced in drawing firearm. Too far from shooting stations to get assistance from other people on the range. From what I understand, policy and protocol was followed, but the county has since changed things.

This is not meant to hi-jack this thread. Sorry.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #22

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Dzscubie,

Good answers, thanks.

Sorry if I let on that the video showed the cop doing wrong. I did not post the video. The video is just what jogged my mind into asking the original question.

I dont have all the answers. Thats why I posted the question on a forum.

I never give the law any guff. I work with the Sheriffs deptartment once in a great while on my second job. But.................. At what point is it ok. to have your 2nd ammendment rights infringed upon? The Constitution says "Shall not be infringed...". What other ammendment gets **** upon as much as the right to keep and bear arms?

For future reference, the only fishing I do is in the Atlantic Ocean.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:51 PM   #23

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

QUOTE "You do realize that private property is only private when law enforcement is not around, right?"

Not to change the subject, but WHAT???????????????????????????

If this is so, then there is no such thing as private property at all.

That sounds like a regime to me. Or, maybe I misread the constitution.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5737 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Maybe shooting at an abandoned and privately owned clay pit with a secure & locked gate about a half mile up the road isn't so bad; nobody has ever stopped by to quiz me about anything.

If you would be upset by an LEO requesting you put your firearm down, you should do your best to avoid LEO's in their official capacity; that is my general policy. I don't call the police; if the police are called, i leave the entire area ASAP, especially in this county.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Many times I have disarmed myself during traffic stops & visits to Court. Nobody has the right to request I disarm at any time on My property. The last two times I had cops on my property, I simply inquired as to whether or not they had a Warrant for me in their possession & both times the answer was no. At that time I invited them to read my "No Trespassing" sign and to please follow it. I had a bit of trouble with a posse member, but police have always departed, sometimes insisting that "We'll bring our rifles next time" I carefully explained the one time that My rifles are already here. Unfortunately cops can treat a vehicle stop any way they choose, and get away with violating many of your rights.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #26

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey View Post
Dzscubie,

Good answers, thanks.

Sorry if I let on that the video showed the cop doing wrong. I did not post the video. The video is just what jogged my mind into asking the original question.

I dont have all the answers. Thats why I posted the question on a forum.

I never give the law any guff. I work with the Sheriffs deptartment once in a great while on my second job. But.................. At what point is it ok. to have your 2nd ammendment rights infringed upon? The Constitution says "Shall not be infringed...". What other ammendment gets **** upon as much as the right to keep and bear arms?

For future reference, the only fishing I do is in the Atlantic Ocean.

No Dewey I owe you an apology as my response seemed to indicate you posted the video when all you did was mention it in your question. It was a good question. I don’t think I would disarm myself to anyone except a Law Enforcement Officer and again it would be determined by the situation.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #27

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Billdeserthills,

I bet lots of folks do like you do, and disarm themselves before the situation gets started. I've done it. I hate travelling thru Georgia. It is one of the few states that doesnt reciprocate Ohio's C.C. law.

Dzscubie,

You hit the nail on the head. It all depends on the situation. I really sympathize with the lawmen because there are lots of guns and gun owners out there, and it only takes one creep with a gun to ruin a life.

In Ohio, it is your duty to inform any law officer who approaches you that you are carrying concealed. Thats pretty easy during a traffic stop, but it feels weird to bring it up out of the blue any other time. I helped out at a car wreck once, and the Cop was cool with it.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #28

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Dewey, check this out, I was speeding on the freeway a couple months ago, moto bike cop pulls me over and requests that I drive to the freeway exit & leave the freeway so he can conduct a proper traffic stop without the danger of an accident. Once I do this he asks me if I have all of my weapons in one place, sure I tell him, I have three guns and they are all on my person. Three he said, wow, I only have two! He let me go with a warning

Old 06-26-2010, 10:32 PM   #29

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Youre a lucky dog. I have driven like hell since I was 16 and I dont think I have ever gotten a warning. Just lots of pretty pink papers.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:12 AM   #30
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey View Post
QUOTE "You do realize that private property is only private when law enforcement is not around, right?"

Not to change the subject, but WHAT???????????????????????????

If this is so, then there is no such thing as private property at all.

That sounds like a regime to me. Or, maybe I misread the constitution.
Private property is always private property, and you go by what the owner says. If a cop doesn't have a warrant to be on the property and the owner tells him to leave, the cop must leave.

That doesn't mean everyone respects the law...including those whose job it is to enforce it.