Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > At what point would you disarm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Good question, but a bit misleading or this could be a fishing expedition? Your motivation for this is what?[/QUOTE]

There is nothing misleading about my question. What is misleading? I dont know what a fishing expedition is, or care.

My motivation is this: AT WHAT POINT DO YOU DISARM?

Examples:

Natural Disaster.
In your own home.
Guns declared illegal.
Jesus returns and asks nicely.
Concealed carry is outlawed
Etc.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #12

Liked 1038 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 319

The officer asked them to do a few things, they declined to do so. There seemed to have been no issue. The officer continued to do his job.

I'm more wondering about what the law is over the video tape. I know my state of Maryland the person recording could be prosecuted over releasing that video. I don't agree with the law but that's what is happening in my state right now.

Quote:
There is nothing misleading about my question. What is misleading? I dont know what a fishing expedition is, or care.
He was just making sure you are not trying to bait people into an answer that can make the firearms community look bad.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by Yunus; 06-26-2010 at 02:27 PM.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey
What about a traffic stop?
There are states (Colorado is one of them) that explicitly allow the officer, in a traffic stop, to disarm anyone that is carrying, for the duration of the stop.

BN-Life - NRA
- NRA Certified Instructor -
I'm not worried about terrorism, I was married, TWICE!

Old 06-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Dzscoobie,

"Other than them physically being there and wanting to ask some questions would someone please tell me where the “harassment” is?"

Dont get me wrong, The fellow being quizzed by the authorities was not being treated badly. I'm not saying that. The video just happened to be the genesis of my question. I knew there would be a million different answers to this question, because there are probably a million different scenerios that could lead up to it.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #15

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I seen nothing that the agents did that was out of line or aggressive.

Now if they would have come flying up the road at 50 mph jump out of the SUV in BLACK Tactical gear run over tackle everyone and cuff them all and prone them out. I would have a problem with that. It looks to me like they were just conducting a field interview. Why you would do it at a range is beyond me. He gets out and asks "Is everyone unloaded". He never says "Unload and bring all your weapons back here and put them in the back of the SUV" so how was he disarming them?

He didn't have any hearing protection and if someone started opening up it would have hard to talk.

I can also understand why he would want to me the person he was talking to to the back of a vehicle just to be on the safe side in case someone does do something stupid you have protection.

to me he was just trying to be safe and courteous. If anyone was rude it was the wife and Mr. Black for their attitude towards the agents.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:56 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1743 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 1986

Default When do you disarm!

You don't untill you Know that you rights aren't being violated. And That your life is not in danger. When push comes to shove I'll shoot first and answer Questions later. Don't Tread on me!!!!11

Old 06-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #17

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey View Post
Dzscoobie,

"Other than them physically being there and wanting to ask some questions would someone please tell me where the “harassment” is?"

Dont get me wrong, The fellow being quizzed by the authorities was not being treated badly. I'm not saying that. The video just happened to be the genesis of my question. I knew there would be a million different answers to this question, because there are probably a million different scenerios that could lead up to it.

Dewey,

I don't have a problem with your question and don't think it is an unreasonable question to bring up in this forum, however, I do think that by using that particular video as a basis for your question was not the best example you could have used. Actually I think just posing the question and not using the video would have focused attention on your question rather than on the video.

I will address your original question on at what time would I disarm myself. To me there is no black and white answer to this question and it would also depend on the individual. As a career LEO I would not have a problem disarming myself to an officer if I knew it to be for a legitimate reason (and I have). I would evaluate each situation on its own merit and make my decision at that time. I will give you an example.

A couple of years ago I was driving from El Paso back to Washington DC and was going the southern route on I-10. I was stopped in Mississippi for speeding (I know I wasn’t paying attention and did not have a cruise control). As is my personal policy when the officer came up I had my hands on the steering wheel and my fingers spread, I advised him I was armed and my weapon was in a holster set between my seat and the center console on my right side. The officer (State Trooper) asked me to step out and to the back of the car. He asked where I was going and if the weapon was mine, I advised him it was my duty weapon and I was a LEO. He asked for my credentials and requested I wait at the back of my car. He retrieved my weapon and returned to his car. A short time later he returned my creds and weapon and asked me to slow down. In all this took about 15 minutes but I can understand why he did what he did as I-10 is a major drug corridor and I was from out of state. I think it was good police work on his part and he was very professional. Now, if Billy Bob came out to the range and demanded I unload or wanted to take my weapons and put them in his car because he was being an A** with no reasonable… I repeat reasonable, reason why then we would have a problem.

Again all I can say is I would judge each situation by its reasonableness and take it from there.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #18

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
You don't untill you Know that you rights aren't being violated. And That your life is not in danger. When push comes to shove I'll shoot first and answer Questions later. Don't Tread on me!!!!11

Will, come on man this is just a dumb blank statement, your smarter than that.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:14 PM   #19

Likes Given: 13

I had heard about the incident down in fl, but i also heard multiple stories? can you clarify anything at all about the incident?

Old 06-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1743 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 1986

Default In The Heat of The Moment!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
Will, come on man this is just a dumb blank statement, your smarter than that.
Thats Why I'm Still Alive!!!!!